AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th December, 2011, 08:51 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Intel 3960X ES and ASUS P9X79 Deluxe Overclocking

So, got my sample CPU from Intel two weeks ago, and board from ASUS about a month ago now.

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1324237737

Been working on memory overclocking mostly, as these CPUs are some serious heat producers...noticed while overclocking the CPU obly, near 265W is pulled from the EPS 8-pin. Once again, i need to get watercooling, after not using water for near 3 years.

Anyone else with an SB-E setup?

Attached Thumbnails
Intel 3960X ES and ASUS P9X79 Deluxe Overclocking-test_setup.jpg  

Last edited by cadaveca; 18th December, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2011, 09:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hey Cadaveca! Good to see you around again!

Regrettably, my overclocking has taken a back seat to other, more pressing needs at the moment, but I look forward to hearing your report on this monster you've got now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2011, 09:32 PM

I barely overclock any more. I mean, i do it to play with something, but because current technology is so advanced, there's very little need for overclocking anymore, even for gamers.

I've been doing motherboard reviews for TechPowerUp for a wee bit over a year now; just recently started doing memory as well. That said, for that, I have to keep up on current hardware in order to give decent reviews.

I've got P67/Z68 boards and CPUs, as well as AMD stuff, but only a FX-4100 for AM3+ CPUs, so whatever you wanna hear about, let me know.

I plan on spending a fair bit of time with this particular combo as it will be forming the basis of my memory testing rig for the next year or so. So, I'll be updating this thread fairly often as I find out new things. It's been a while since I've been on AOA, but I am finding a need for a less busy forum, and wanted to wish you guys a Happy Holiday Season, too!
Old 18th December, 2011, 09:50 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

I use an XBOX for gaming now, no need to OC anymore as you say!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 18th December, 2011, 10:52 PM

Ha!!

Yeah, well, we are all basically playing XBO360 games on overpowered machines, anyway.

The funny part is that I screwed my shoulder up, and cant use keyboard and mosue at the same time. It's one or the other. So I'm using a 360 controller to play my PC games.
Old 19th December, 2011, 09:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

that is the sweetest CPU cooler.
Old 22nd December, 2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBread View Post
that is the sweetest CPU cooler.

Yeah, it's pretty cool, for sure. A Noctua NH-C14, that I like a lot because it kinda mimicks the airflow from a stock heatsink, cooling board components.

And let me tell ya, these X79 board have super-hot CPU power supplies.
Old 28th December, 2011, 10:59 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

265W, holy lumbago! Sorry to read about your shoulder, hope it gets better soon. Is that a manifold for a dragster or some kinda computer?
Old 28th December, 2011, 11:36 PM

Hahahahahaha! Yeah, serious stuff, I guess.

I dunno. Not really my thing, personally. The biggest pain for me is that my PCI POST card...well..doesn't work, as there are no PCI slots!

Been struggling with the memory overclocking for about the past week...swapped out VGAs, and problem solved.

Tags
asus motherboard