AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th June, 2012, 02:17 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm trying to Overclock and it's making me crazy!

I'm REALLY missing something here! I've watch video guides and read them, I've tried l everything...I can set this board up by three different guides from memory.... what I can't do is overclock the damn thing!

Did you know that I lose my keyboard on resume from suspend if USB 3.0 IS enabled OR (you can go two ways with this) if you enable PLL overvoltage, two ways to lose your keyboard from just one motherboard!

Lucky for me I was more methodical than I am usually...":O}

I'll post some links, but here is what I'm beginning to suspect...I am overclocking, but it won't show (with or without Intel speed steppings...until I :

1. Enter Windows environment
2. actually put it under load.

But this doesn't quite ring true as when I use Auto tune it at lest says there is a 3.5 CPU rather than a 3.4

As everyone assumes Windows I haven't been able to confirm this. What I do know is that the guides differ very little and that the settings I got were butt simple even for me.

That I tried every setup purposed and got Zero response, My machine just boots normally and says

"Daniel you've made ZERO impression upon me with all your fancy drop down settings and button pushings and angst ridden pleas!"

It will use an auto setup "CPU Tuning" that matches RAM CPU and Mother board... I get an awe-inspiring jump from 3.4 to 3.5!! What concerns me is that some get to 4.5 this way!

The only other way I can get the damn thing to acknowledge my efforts is to set my RAM ridiculously and then watch her suffer untill I hit the "memory" button on my board which elevates her pain....for now.

*But still she will not obey!

One last thing worth mentioning is that my board is the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN 3 I don't know that it makes a difference, ( The Bios menus are almost identical, but one or two things have changed) All my guides are for the P8Z68-V PRO. or the Z67

But my feeling is that after three days, I should have gotten SOMETHING!

My two primary guides

Juan_Jose

Clunk

I can take excellent screen shots with my thumbdrive if they are desired.... I just want to understand what is going on with this board!

See cool screen shots!

Attached Thumbnails
I'm trying to Overclock and it's making me crazy!-120616184704.bmp  
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 18th June, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2012, 10:24 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Did you know that I lose my keyboard on resume from suspend if USB 3.0 in not enabled OR (you can go two ways with this) if you enable PLL overvoltage, two ways to lose your keyboard from just one motherboard!
Is this a driver issue or a BIOS issue? (I suspect the answer is "I don't know"!)
What happens if you unplug your keyboard and then plug it back in again?
When the issue does happen, is there anything in any of the log files?

My experience of Linux's USB support has been that it is dodgy at best, so issues like this really don't surprise me - by dodgy, I mean random devices that stopped responding to URB (USB request block) or a USB stack that decided that it couldn't see any USB devices and then would cause kernel panics.

Last edited by Aedan; 18th June, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2012, 10:34 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Without reading everything you wrote above if we're talking windows

1. settings in the bios can be reset to normal or lower than what the bios was set by the mobo's software if its installed and it's starting upon windows boot.
2. some weird settings of the bios will be considered unfortunate upon boot and everything will be set back to default or some safe freq.

If you've installed the mobo software I suggest you uninstall and then give it a go and see what happens.

Good luck
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 18th June, 2012, 05:40 PM

You don't need to enter Windows to discover what's going on, but the tools are not very well developed under Linux (and in typical open source style, expect you to read the source code to understand what they are actually doing).

There is a tool called i7z which should be able to show the true and turbo frequencies of your processor. Try using this with something to load your cores and see what you see.
Old 18th June, 2012, 07:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thank you Aedan I'll take a look . I miss typed! It should have read if 3.0 USB IS enable it craps out on resume. Disable it and my Keyboard is fine on resume as I don't need Pll to overclock and currently no one needs USB 3 I'm fine with this...

It's the lack of response by the BIOS to my input that has me baffled!

Currently I don't have much I can use to stress test with, Phoronix, might be able to help me there, best thing I have so far...

But I can't get anything beyond stock to test! Nothing but that stupid CPU tuner which at a 100 MHz increase is still doing better than I am!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 18th June, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 18th June, 2012, 07:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sence no one asked...":O}

Here are all my settings, I have also diable USB 3, Firwire and one or two things I KNOW I don't have or need. On board HD is on standby should my card fail...

I should add that I re-flashed my BIOS this morning, not sure if it re-flashed or Asus faked it, didn't present the progress bar, just said "there it's done, go away."

Still didn't hurt me even if it didn't help me.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm trying to Overclock and it's making me crazy!-120618183259.bmp   I'm trying to Overclock and it's making me crazy!-120618183432.bmp   I'm trying to Overclock and it's making me crazy!-120618183444.bmp   I'm trying to Overclock and it's making me crazy!-120618183505.bmp   I'm trying to Overclock and it's making me crazy!-120618183525.bmp  

."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 18th June, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 18th June, 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Thank you Aedan I'll take a look . I miss typed! It should have read if 3.0 USB IS enable it craps out on resume. Disable it and my Keyboard is fine on resume as I don't need Pll to overclock and currently no one needs USB 3 I'm fine with this...
Yeah, I've noted that there seems to be a number of people have issues with the keyboard working after suspend when using Linux and USB3. Reading between the lines, it looks like the xhci (USB3) driver still has issues - looks like proper resume functionality only really turned up in May 2012, despite the fact that the driver is a few years old.
Old 18th June, 2012, 11:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

And I confused myself, It's PCIe 3 no one has a need for as yet....is the same true for USB 3? Well obviouly not as people are having trouble with it.... ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 18th June, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 6th September, 2012, 01:24 AM

Maybe the load you are putting it through is still too low? By chance what load are you putting your machine through. It would have been great to try this website put too since I also want to know how fast and how much load my system can handle

Last edited by techjunkie45; 18th September, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 6th September, 2012, 02:51 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I finally got things working...":O}
Attached Thumbnails
I'm trying to Overclock and it's making me crazy!-screenshot-2012-09-05-18-50  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur