AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd July, 2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
SATA 3 is 6 Gb/s transfer rates or about 600 MB/s. There aren't any mechanical drives that can support a sustained transfer rate that high. In fact, I don't think there are any SSD drives that can support a sustained transfer rate that high. The few drives of either type that can support a burst rate that high are not generally considered 'consumer' drives, either, and so you don't get support for SATA 3 on most mobos.

In other words, SATA 3 is a luxury that only a very few motherboard buyers would even care about. In the real world, I doubt you'd notice much performance difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3, as SATA 2 will give you transfer rates of up to 300 MB/s, which is still faster than pretty much any drive out there can sustain.
Thanks!! I got some awesome ideas in here. I appreciate your reply.
Old 2nd July, 2012, 01:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hi Ruel@21. Say I wouldn't want you to have missed this, Gizmo wished to correct himself on the relative speeds of SATA II and Sata III

Quote:

Ok, I stand corrected (been a little while since I last looked into this).

Used to be that the controllers interfacing with the flash, coupled with the way the flash itself was working, limited throughput to rates roughly equivalent to or slightly better than high-end hard drives.

Apparently, those issues have been largely addressed over the last 18 months or so.

Looks like current SSDs are capable of pretty well saturating even SATA 3.

That being said, my earlier comments regarding SATA 3 being a luxury item are still pretty relevant: low-end and even most mid-range computers are still coming with mechanical storage, with SSD being a costly add-on. For mechanical storage, SATA 2 is plenty. Until the market shifts more to SSDs, there's really not a lot of incentive to add the extra resource requirements of SATA 3 to the board. (Remember, SATA 3 has to have the bandwidth in the chipset, or it's just a fancy plug).
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st July, 2012, 07:51 PM

I would like to thank you for the efforts that you have made in writing this article. This is exactly what I need, Thanks a lot