AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th June, 2012, 04:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
How's the power supply on the box? Got a different one you can try?
It's an Antec Liberty, a pretty good one I think, bought it at the forums suggestion. When it was up it gave me excellent numbers on all my voltages.

The only other power supply is Patti's. Right now I can"t touch her box by mutual agreement, she needs it constantly for her school work, no, not even when she's not here. If ANYTHING goes wrong it would do her real harm.

I don't feel like I'm doing my fair share here, but my hands are tied...If we get to a place where this seems fairly likely, I can buy one at your suggestion?

Besides Patti's while good, is much older and has much less power than the one I'm on, so it might not tell us what we want to know.

Thank you for the suggestion, I can buy one now if we need one to proceed.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 29th June, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2012, 04:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I can go with the one on the DVD or go get one, of your choice, I'll go ahead and use the DVD to keep things rolling, we can go back if we wish.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2012, 05:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Damn, it's a no go on the over night rest without batt. Worse, it's a no go on the BIOS update, the system simply doesn't get far enough into the boot to access either the DVD or the thumb drive, at lest that's my guess as I get no response from inserting Thumb drive or the DVD either of which is supposed to bring open the BIOS update utility and start it automatically.

There is also a button on the board for USB update, pushed after starting with USB inserted, no response. This is the same thumb-dive I used to update in the BIOS.

I renamed file according to Asus conventions.... nothing. Suggestions?

She just sits there running, LED blink back and forth between Memory and CPU.

About these LEDs. the book says that if there is an error the light is supposed to come on and stay on until you fix the problem, such as hitting the memory button to cool out you RAM from a bad setting, ...I've never seen this! Just the LEDs that blink normally during boot, now not being able to get past themselves.

In short this is not even the normal error mode for this board....or so it would seem to me. Remember it has NEVER accepted my OC innputs as other boards do, I watched lots of utube videos, some really good ones out there!

I copy them EXACTLY and get ZERO response at the lowest possible OCs and at the reasonable OC. It takes my input, records it properly in the BOIS then totally ignores it at boot, never been over 3.5, never stressed it's voltages on RAM, or above 1.40 on CPU. and It didn't accept my change at boot! So it's almost always (except for Asus Auto tuning) been at stock settings.

Please advice...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 29th June, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 29th June, 2012, 08:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

No change, but this occurred to me...I just tried both methods of emergency update, DVD and Thumb; both failed to reach the BIOS. They are supposed to work even without a CPU or RAM, and they failed...isn't this a pretty good indicator that something is wrong with the MB?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th June, 2012, 03:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Another thought, I read in the on-line manual a few days ago that when doing the Thumb drive BIOS update from outside the BIOS, and using the on the motherboard BIOS update button, And the designated USB drive input, (plainly marked so I couldn't miss it).it assumes that you may not have monitor or keyboard yet, which is good.

So they cleverly have the button light up and blink as the BIOS updates, to let you know things are going OK. Then when the light goes out you know your updated, which is good!

Mine never lit or blinked at me in any way, I never had the slightest indication that it could or even tried to access the TD port as it is supposed to do...which is bad and why I'm boring you with this. ":O}

This part of the BIOS is Supposed to be, by intention, independent of the presence of RAM or CPU. So neither RAM nor CPU can mess with this Right?

So this would be, mostly likely a motherboard problem..If I can't update the BIOS, it's got to go back...Right? LOL

Just tried it again. This time I used my head and watched the LEDs on my external DVD Drive and my TD, neither ever lit.

Unless some one has an insight... I guess I'll send her back and try again. Asus Says that the Deluxe version of this board is more robust,has better parts can any say if that true?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th June, 2012, 09:45 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Wow! I've just been forever cured of any guilt about returning MB! If you got the time go look at Newegg's Asus Mother board Reviews of the Z68 and Z77 boards, The Deluxe version of my board, which I'm looking at as a replacement has 25% complete dissatisfaction!

If your board works your give it 3 or 4 starts. Even people who were happy were say I had to RMA one or two. Their QA REALLY sucks and their support is even worse! I can't wait do do business with them again! LOL

How do they remain viable with that kind of failure rate?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 30th June, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 30th June, 2012, 01:37 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

I've been tied up all day in RL, just sat down at my computer now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
Have you done any BIOS flashing to the board yet? If it boots after this, you might try flashing the BIOS to another version.
Dan, my experience may be outdated here. It has always been impossible to flash the BIOS unless the machine booted. If you claim it can be done on this board, then it's something I know nothing about. Is you thumb drive formatted as FAT32?:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Quote:
strip it down and go with the minimal boot process, and then if it's still not reliably booting, and I couldn't find another CPU to test in it, I would RMA the MB again.
The advice still stands. I know you are on the fence about doing the work, but what can I say?

I know you still suspect the CPU in some way. Is there a shop that you can take it to where they will check it in another machine for you? Maybe you'll feel better about returning the MB.

I still strongly doubt it's the CPU, but I wish others would weigh in on the issue...

BTW, have you tried the ASUS forums? I have gotten decent answers there in the past, from both users and mods:

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Forum: http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 30th June, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 30th June, 2012, 06:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thank you everyone! But I am now convinced that it's the MB. Could be wrong, but I have to, as we all do, go on the best information I have. Intel CPU are not piling up at New Egg returns... Asus Motherboards, particularly this model, are.

But this IS the board I want...I guess I keep trying until I get one that works. Hey that's the good news! Some of them Do work! Yea Asus! Some of them Work!

They should give this board to everyone whose time they have and are wasting.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th June, 2012, 06:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
I've been tied up all day in RL, just sat down at my computer now.

Dan, my experience may be outdated here. It has always been impossible to flash the BIOS unless the machine booted. If you claim it can be done on this board, then it's something I know nothing about. Is you thumb drive formatted as FAT32?:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- ****************************Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards *****

The advice still stands. I know you are on the fence about doing the work, but what can I say?

I know you still suspect the CPU in some way. Is there a shop that you can take it to where they will check it in another machine for you? Maybe you'll feel better about returning the MB.

I still strongly doubt it's the CPU, but I wish others would weigh in on the issue...

BTW, have you tried the ASUS forums? I have gotten decent answers there in the past, from both users and mods:

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Forum: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-
Hi ThunderRd! Been a trip hey!

Yes this is a new Asus Flash method, haven't seen it work, but they say it does, no CPU, No RAM. Just power the board and stick Your USB into the Very Special USB slot, put the Asus DVD in and boot it's supposed to look for . find and install the Flash update.

Yes the flash is win 32, I've used it to flash three times now, You have to rename the BIOS file , to use the this method. I followed and the instructions were for once clear.

This board is gaining numbers in the New Egg Open Box section.

It's not the work, it's the uncertainty I hate. I don't do this enough and my memory is no where good enough for my experience to really accumulate. I always just sorta know, without any real in depth understanding of the why a thing works or doesn't.

So...When things go wrong, I think its me, hows that for putting yourself at the center of the World!! LOL

But being the little tweak that I am, I have finally found my way to a more aggressive attitude towards Asus and returning boards, WHAT A WASTE OF EVERYONES TIME!!!

Here's what wasn't a waste of my time...You and the time you spent holding my hand on this. Your a good man, your someone I can rely upon. And even here at AOA, in the mist of all my friends, that still stands out. One can never have to many friends. ":O}

Many thanks Thunder Rd... until the new board arrives! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 1st July, 2012, 10:06 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

In terms of the USB BIOS Flashback - it doesn't use the CPU or RAM that you've put in the machine. Instead, there's a microcontroller that can read from the special USB port, and write the FLASH (It's probably the same one that handles the overclocking and voltage control).

I've looked at the instructions, and it looks like you need to do the following for USB BIOS Flashback to work:
  • Download the BIOS update
  • Unzip the file, so you have the .CAP file. (There'll be some PDF files too, but don't worry about those)
  • Rename the .CAP file so it's called Z77VP.CAP - for the P8Z77-V Pro board.
  • Put it on the USB drive (probably formatted FAT or FAT32, but I don't know for sure)
  • Put the USB drive in the bottom USB socket under the LAN socket.
  • Hold down the Flashback button until the Flashback LED starts flashing - about three seconds. The button is between the USB7/8 and USB9/10 headers at the bottom of the board.
  • The light should flash faster the closer it is to the end of the update. Once the update is finished, it will stop flashing.

If the light only flashes five times, it means something went wrong.
Old 1st July, 2012, 03:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Exactly what I did! ( sorry I don't often get these things right!)
But the Light never lit, never flashed, never began the process. I tried this both with the machine ON and just with power on as I was unclear about which they wanted me to do. First just with power on, no go, so I tried with the Machine running, same same.

At normal boot the lights reach and blink for the Hard drives. Now they never reach the drives, just CPU and Memory, back and forth. I think that maybe it can't reach the Thumb drive and DVD either?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 1st July, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 1st July, 2012, 04:38 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
I think that maybe it can't reach the Thumb drive and DVD either?
You don't need the DVD for this, only the thumb drive.

I would have expected that holding down the flashback button for longer than three seconds would have got you some response from the LED that's just above the USB7/8 header.

BTW, I got the error condition wrong. If the light stays lit for five seconds but doesn't flash, it means a problem has happened.
Old 1st July, 2012, 10:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Lite never does a thing. The board turns on and ping pongs back and forth between CPU and Memory and ignores me until l shut it down, no response.

You can use the BIOS file on the DVD instead of the thumb drive, both do the same, but of course you can pick you BIOS version with the thumdrive.

I wanted it to have every chance of completing it's mission.

(note to self, cut back on watching military movies.)
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 2nd July, 2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 2nd July, 2012, 11:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Dunno how I've been so lucky in that I've never had a bad Asus mainboard, iirc. However, after your trials and tortures with this model board I'm gonna avoid Asus in the future!
Old 3rd July, 2012, 03:03 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Years ago right before Soyo went under I got three bad boards in a row and gave up, went to Epox, stayed there till they went under, been with Asus for 4 or 5 boards now, first trouble I've had with them..
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 3rd July, 2012, 03:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks for the Asus Forums link ThunderRd.

A lot of folks are having BIOS related problems, but why go to Asus forums if you aren't?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th July, 2012, 06:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

New board due Friday.

Just a bump to make it easier for me to find this thread when I need it! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th July, 2012, 12:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Asus just delivered...another DOA!!

Trust me when I tell you I exercised all care, Replaced two standoffs that probably didn't need replacing. I checked every single connection to make sure it was properly made and properly connected.

I'm 3/4s the way through test with each of my 4 gig pieces of RAM.

When I hit the big button it leaps into action and begins "Memory tuning,,,gets lost and never comes out of it...just like the last board!!

This will make two boards on which I never got to see the BIOS, and a First board that would boot but not OC...then decided life wasn't worth living if it couldn't OC and died, rather, it started acting like the two replacements.

I've tried pulling the CLRTC. Same same.

It doesn't do what the book says it should do. It says it should test a memory setting, if doesn't work, it says it's supposed to reboot and try another until it finds compatibly. THIS IS the RAM Asus said was compatible!! Got it right out of the manual. It never reboots blinks, the Red LED doesn't stay on ( ERROR in RAM install or in RAM compatibility.) It should stay on until I press the memory button, then release when it starts to blink. Then it's supposed to find compatibility and reboot, it never does, it reboots and goes back to blinking.It keeps blinking as it should if it was memory tuning, but never gets any where.

Can someone please tell me if the Power supply requirements of a Asus P5Q motherboard are any different than those of a P8Z77-v PRO.

Unless someone can come up with something I RMA TWO boards Monday, I held the first board back as I like to send the unused goodies back and keep what I have from the previous RMAed board, easier on the retailer I think...

I guess it's time to consider another board. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just failed to boot off the last single stick in A2 slot as Asus recommends for one piece of ram...

This is really costing me, shipping, restocking, and shipping back. If I just exchange it, it's cheaper but...well I'm still waiting on my RMAed SSD.

This way it only takes a week each time, but over $40.00 each time.

I'm not use to this, I used to succeeding, that's one of the things I like most about building computers seeing them come to life!

(Pretending my computer likes me is very difficult when it won't even boot...

Giving up on last piece of RAM....sigh....
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th July, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 7th July, 2012, 03:18 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Damn. I don't even know where to start anymore.

Is there a friend with another PS to try? I know that you don't want to touch Patti's box.

On second thought, can you try your memory in Patti's machine, though?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 7th July, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 7th July, 2012, 05:27 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
No change, but this occurred to me...I just tried both methods of emergency update, DVD and Thumb; both failed to reach the BIOS. They are supposed to work even without a CPU or RAM, and they failed...isn't this a pretty good indicator that something is wrong with the MB?
I would think so. As a last ditch effort have you tried the oven trick on it? I got an 8800 GT to come back with it, and an Xbox (old white one) that wouldn't do anything, I did get some life out of it with the oven trick.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah