AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th July, 2012, 06:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks Rob, but as things stand this is Newegg's mother board until I get one to work, I want to ship it back as I got it.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th July, 2012, 06:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hi Thunder, no The P5Q is a DDR 2 board that maxes on 1066...so no help there.

However I find it pushes to odds to think all four pieces of RAM were/are bad.

I think Asus to just out of touch with QA. What's worse is that MANY people have a real complaint about how Asus handles their RMA after Neweggs 1 month obligation is finish.

Basically you wait until they get a return board they can fix or approve to send to you. They don't replace with new... some seem to give up rather than getting anything out of ASUS... The above it my "feeling" after reading many complaints, hard to tell what's really happening.

Part of me wants to keep plugging away until I get a working board... But that one month limit on Newegg RMA has me worried.

I think I'll look at Sandy bridge and Ivy boards and see If I can find an alternative... although I've pretty much already done that....

Say ThunderRd, if you had a 2600K CPU and wated to give it a good home....you got good picks for me TR? ":O}

Now that Aedan has turned me on to the IDE to SATA converted for my last mechanical Drive...I don't guess I really still need to have a PCI slot...though it seems "dangerous" not to have at lest one...":O}

BTW my power supply powered the Board Patti has when it was mine, a week or two ago, I really think we can count it as known good.

You've been a great help in isolating these things even if we can't obtain certainty in my circumstance... the best bet all things considered is it's the board...IMHO

Guess I'll go shopping while I make up my mind... Won't do anything until late Sunday afternoon or evening, So any input you may have to give won't just be wasted...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th July, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th July, 2012, 07:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

WOW!

Look at this Newegg Review page my boards reviews from the last two weeks!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th July, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 7th July, 2012, 07:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm leaning this way, have been for a while, the price has slowed me down initally, but returning boards is expensive as well.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th July, 2012, 02:29 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

I'd planned to upgrade sometime early next year and had thought about the Rampage boards, but they are $300+ new, so I'm not sure you want to spend that much. The ROG boards from ASUS get consistently good reports, and I have one already with S775 that has been stellar for 3 years now. [Although I have nothing bad to say about my P5Q Pro Turbo - it is a very, very good MB, stable and reliable, and a good overclocker.]

It is disenchanting to hear problems like these with ASUS again. I had thought they were a thing of the past, and that they had gotten their 'sheet' together.

At the end of the day though, there is nothing like dealing with a brick-and-mortar vendor. Newegg is popular, and for the most part satisfies people, but I know that when I take a dead part back to the dealer I bought it from one [or more] of the following happens:

a. it goes directly to Bangkok to the national service location for testing; sometimes with the RAM and CPU to check as well. They have no problem checking that all parts are working properly

b. if it's proven bad, it gets RMA'd and replaced DIRECTLY FROM TAIWAN with a brand new part

c. I've done something wrong [rare, but it happens] and they tell me to shove it

All of the above are personally supervised by the Point of Purchase vendor. No intervention needed on my part. Asian business people are an unusual breed. It takes time to show them that you know what you're doing [as in you have to develop the relationship by being correct most of the time], but after they are convinced, they will go to Hell and back on your behalf.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 8th July, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 8th July, 2012, 07:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
I'd planned to upgrade sometime early next year and had thought about the Rampage boards, but they are $300+ new, so I'm not sure you want to spend that much. The ROG boards from ASUS get consistently good reports, and I have one already with S775 that has been stellar for 3 years now. [Although I have nothing bad to say about my P5Q Pro Turbo - it is a very, very good MB, stable and reliable, and a good overclocker.]

It is disenchanting to hear problems like these with ASUS again. I had thought they were a thing of the past, and that they had gotten their 'sheet' together.

At the end of the day though, there is nothing like dealing with a brick-and-mortar vendor. Newegg is popular, and for the most part satisfies people, but I know that when I take a dead part back to the dealer I bought it from one [or more] of the following happens:

a. it goes directly to Bangkok to the national service location for testing; sometimes with the RAM and CPU to check as well. They have no problem checking that all parts are working properly

b. if it's proven bad, it gets RMA'd and replaced DIRECTLY FROM TAIWAN with a brand new part

c. I've done something wrong [rare, but it happens] and they tell me to shove it

All of the above are personally supervised by the Point of Purchase vendor. No intervention needed on my part. Asian business people are an unusual breed. It takes time to show them that you know what you're doing [as in you have to develop the relationship by being correct most of the time], but after they are convinced, they will go to Hell and back on your behalf.
Dude! You live in Consumer heaven!

But hows this for synchronicity , I just told Patti, (I have my RMA) that we have two choices, Go for another or the same board at newegg. Hope for a "good one" that at lest boots and runs at stock...or

Go To Fry's, buy my board from them hand them my Computer and have THEM install it.

Let them sort parts, they are set up to do it. I can RMA the RAM AGAIN if I have to.

This of course is really disappointing. To have QA so bad that I have to let another install a board a child could install, because I can't afford any more down time or trust Asus to deliver a functioning board.

I ran MY P5Q in this EXACT set up ( CPU, RAM, Motherboard are all that's new.)

(Good God how I would miss that board...If I wasn't using it right now!! ":O}

I can easily see me screwing up an install. But once I do I become very very careful and take mental note of all I do... (Or as I have explained I would die of misplaced guilt! ":O}

I have attain certainty this isn't me. I could return my P5Q and restore it in a hour and a half. Of this I have no doubt. Yet you may have noticed that when it comes to computers I tend to pull the one in a million straw every hundred times or so...

When I get the board I check the pins, when I pull it, I check the pins, everything seems psychically intact.

So I think That your post is to be seen by me as a confirmation of the right way for me to go on this... But I haven't talked to Fry's yet and things are very different here when it come to retailers assuming responsibility... You've seen the complains about Asus's non existent teck support, that's more what we are use to here...sigh...

Be assured I'll keep you posted. I'll also check out the boards you mentioned... I still have flexibility (at a restocking and shipping price) except for the CPU, Return for exchange only. So I have to build around the CPU now.... Which I pretty much always do anyway I guess...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th July, 2012, 09:03 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I wonder if ASUS even made this board, or it's a 3rd party board with an Asus sticker on it? I've seen it in the copier industry. I've looked at a box with a Konica sticker on it. (Konica make almost all of there own stuff) and had big question marks in my eyes as I'm looking at it going, there is NO WAY Konica made this. It's a rebadge, rare but it does happen.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 10th July, 2012, 01:52 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

They continue to pile up in the Asus Open Box section at Newegg,...I'd rather sleep with snakes! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th July, 2012, 02:18 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

How's the sleeping with snakes going?
Old 14th July, 2012, 07:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

A great big blue ribbon for each of you, though I would have sworn by my Enermax liberty 500 watt, it was dead...replaced it and now have a computer again. haven't tried to overclock it yet beyond the auto tune, which, unfortunately gives me exactly the same results as The P8Z77 v-PRO boards. Had to choose from what Fries had and got a Sabertooth Z77...Got two more Sata 6 gig ports, which is nice.

I'll spend tomorrow learning about what I bought.
(We just had to relieve Patti of any running around chasing parts. Her studies are getting pretty demanding and she working to maintain a 4.0 ave.)

This has been , bar none, the worst upgrade experience of my life and one of the more expensive... live and learn...if you can, I guess.

My Power supply would pick the moment between running my P5Q perfectly and the installation of my new board to go tits up.... makes me want to laugh and cry...

so I'll just stifle myself and let it all come out in violence and alcoholism...":O}

I still don't really believe I have a working computer again...but if I don't, that's Fry's problem....I really feel a bit sheepish have someone else install MY motherboard,

But with Patti's studieds I just had to put an end to this and move past sticking Poor Asus with my mistakes...on the returns...

Now...? Kinda wish I had stuch with the Pro board...

But I don't think I would have ever trusted it...how unfair of me is that!! ":O}

I'll post tommorrow when I know more... that initial Auto tune worries me a bit, but I may be over looking something and I'm Tired...

Nite all...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th July, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 14th July, 2012, 02:25 PM

Glad you booted.

Take it slowly, and let's see if we can get you "there"
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 14th July, 2012, 05:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

So why is poor Dan Dan unhappy?

Well, there is the fact that I'm right back where I started...I have a stable machine, that does good with all my gear, a runs fast and sweet and at only ONE speed, STOCK!

I can use the Auto Tune in the Bios ( others get up to 4.7 ) and I get 3.5 by raising the Basic Clock from 3.4 to 3.5.

But that's almost a side issue this morning.... As I installed fans and did some general neating up, I found my eye aligned with the top left Motherboard mounting screw hole... just the hole not the screw!

****! They missed one! Damn. Oh well **** happens, I look some more.... they left 4 of the 9 mounting screws out!!

Shall we talk water blocks?

I took them my whole setup. I showed the guys there the very simple way my cooler goes together, very simple, a backer plate that pushes four bolts though\the back of the mother board, upon which you then lower the water block, then 4 springs to level tension and four nuts threaded to the four bolts...

They put the springs UNDER the water block so that they pushed the water block away from the CPU instead of pressing it down...

Then there is the fact that this Sabertooth is giving me the same "I won't Overclock I just won't"Crap the 68Z gave me...before it stopped working... I'm not at all sure I needed a need power supply, probably did, it was 5 years old...

But The Sabertooth still won't act as U tube has led me to believe it should.

If we can figure out how to overclock this puppy before monday, I'm willing to just let it go.... If not it goes back to Fry's, a board like this that won't overclock is a defective board.

( But still the whispers reach me, "There has to be something your missing, something you just have wronge...")

Question...

The small case pin connections at the bottom of the Mother board, Reset, speaker Etc... when a wire is red and white, Red is live white ground...yes?

When the wire is Black and white, Black is the Ground?

Things work as I said, but I'm uncertain about which the wire is ground...always have been, never got around to asking":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th July, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 14th July, 2012, 05:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Right now I'm sitting at stock... I've played very little, Hell I just got IT! LOL

There are some really good Utube videos, I'll post links as I re-find them, this stuff seems so simple, but I must be missing something... but whatever it is, it wasn't mentioned in those videos....( I give that statement a 70% accuracy rating, hey if your missing something, you're not going to know what it is until ThunderRd finds for you! LOL

Yes slowly slowly should get us there in one piece...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th July, 2012, 05:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Utube guides, Sabertooth
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 14th July, 2012, 10:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've been looking all day for a specific Intel I7 1155 2600K CPU and Sabertooth Z77 OC guide, If one of our more talented searchers could find me one or more, I'd really appreciate it... We are not talking romance here, just a bit of gratitude and maybe a handshake.. I'm an American, how grateful can I be and still vote!?

I'll consider all Sabertooth Z77 mother board overclocking guides regardless of CPU...Please no more unboxing, first look, see the features type things, I need a real OC guide, I found a few for the Z77 Pro board, A Sabertooth guide must be hiding somewhere...":O}

Many thanks!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th July, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 14th July, 2012, 11:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Here's what's really bugging me... I get it that I don't really understand the things I do to get my overclocks, I get that. If you won't or can't learn a thing, it remains out of reach.

But These Z68 and Z77 boards are one button Overclockers! Auto tune gives up anything from 4.3 to 4.7 routinely!

Yet when I hit the button, no change in multipliers, just a 100 MHz on the system clock and a Ram adjustment.

I have now changed Z68 and Z77 boards 4 times, replaced my power supply, changed out RAM once, RAM seems very good now...and this has followed me though it all...Well I never saw the two Z77 boards boot, but when the 68Z was running as the Sabertooth now is running, it was exactly the same story, no Overclocking, not at all.

I have a fair rough guide that should at lest get me started, but this box won't budge and I can't think why!?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th July, 2012, 02:10 AM

I'm away for the weekend, but when I am back in a couple of days I'll pitch in. Sorry I can't be of more help ATM, I don't have easy access...

Old 15th July, 2012, 10:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've been all day and night on this, I have some pretty good (From Asus rep on Utube) approximate settings for this board, not this board and the 2600K chip, but it really should do to get me going...

I can't shake the thought that this chip is locked, or at lest Asus seems to think it is... I've never gotten it to change multipliers, all it will do is raise system clock to 103 from 100.

Don't sweat it ThunderRd!, I've long grown use to the idea that as wonderfully delusional as I am...still not the center of the universe I was hoping to be...":O}

The good news is that like the 68Z board, it's a beauty of a motherboard! Fast and stable. heavily featured without the second-rate "Stuff" motherboard makers tend to pile on these days... Just lots of ports of every kind, slots, CPU options and selection 22/32 die. And she has such small hands on all her settings!

I'll keep reading and punching in the numbers and seeing what pops...

But I'm calling Intel on monday and just ask them if one might have gotten past them, There a 2600 (Non K) chip as well. Mine clearly says "K" all over the box and on chip...

But why won't it change multipliers (ratios)??

Why Why Why!!! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th July, 2012, 12:44 PM

Intel's 'unlocked' normally refers to upward. AFAIK, they can all be changed downward by default. For example, a Q6600 is 266 FSB x9, but can be changed to 450x8, for example. It can't be changed to 266x10.

The Intel Extreme chips, like my QX9650, can be changed upward as well as downward.

Can you get the chip to change multis downward in the BIOS, using the default FSB? If you can't make it change downward, then I would tend to agree that there might be something wrong there. If the box is marked K, and it can be changed downward but not upward, then it might be mismarked, but not defective. They should replace it with a correct part.

If it won't change in either direction, it could be defective, providing there isn't something we are overlooking in the BIOS. I'm curious now how they will handle it.

PS I'd play with the manual overclocking in the BIOS rather than the automatic settings. Perhaps there is something we haven't learned about the automatic scenarios yet.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 15th July, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 16th July, 2012, 10:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Tomorrow I go back to Fry.

My Power on button is now unreliable, The connection in the switch has been pulled a bit loose and needs soder a new switch or both.

Here's where we stand on parts

1. New Corsair 750 Power supply.
2. New 4 /3 connected SSD 90 corsair
3. New 16 gigs G. Skill (Asus Sabbertooth approved.)
4. New Sabertooth Z77
5 New Intel 2600K CPU
6. Old Gforce 88 GTS/PCIe/SSE 2
7 New Koolance water cooler and water block (Ide 23C at ambient of 67F) Never found a way to stress it yet, not enough to raise her temps.

They say I have a system short, go looking and come up with a new power supply, Cool. But...

My re-set button no longer works. ( The kid said it was stuck and re-booting in a loop, so he just disconnected it) So now... I have to open my side panel and press the "On Button switch mechanism (Can't really get a good look at it ) of my "On" button to make a connection and boot. (Wonder if his disconnect of my re-set could have impacted my On button...":O}

They handed to job over to a kid who obviously was nervous and had no idea what he was doing. But I feel like I can talk to the Head IT guy who also runs the repair dept...I need to know that everything in this case is perfect or at lest within speck. How can I do that when they tear up my electical as they install itThey handed to job over to a kid who obviously was nervous and had no idea what he was doing. But I feel like I can talk to the Head IT guy who also runs the repair dept...I need to know that everything in this case is perfect or at lest within speck. How can I do that when they tear up my electical as they install it??

Here's the puzzle for me at lest. The system runs flawlessly so far. I have run some CPU benches they always complete except where a game is used. (Linux...sigh)

It's everything I want it to be...but it absolutly won't change ratios.

I set up in acordentce to Asus, Then used, one at a time Mannule, XMP and Auto to try Auto Tunning 100.3 was the result.

The I tuned the system to Asus specks and tried Manaul and XMP (recommend by Asus) then tried Memory offset and booted to every dam incrament above stock up to 1.5 in each setting.

I did this at 43 (default OC on the V-Pro Z68 and the SabertoothZ77) 44,45,46,47 and 48....Nothing.

I'll try under clocking when I get my box back, probably day after tomorrow, When I have what is hopefully a Know Good setup.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur