AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th July, 2012, 10:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

We can't wait that long now can we?

I tried several underclocks from 30 to 33, it just auto re-set the number to 35, without even trying; that being the lowest possible overclock... at 35 BTW it booted to 3419, with Auto Tune you can actually achieve 35! ":O}

So we don't really know, At lest I don't, whether the chip itself could underclock as the board won't even try... seems like a pattern...

So chip or board, someone's not doing their job and I want to know why, hell I paid yto know why...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 16th July, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th July, 2012, 02:43 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
I tried several underclocks from 30 to 33, it just auto re-set the number to 35, without even trying; that being the lowest possible overclock... at 35 BTW it booted to 3419, with Auto Tune you can actually achieve 35! ":O}
I'm afraid IDK what this means. What is 30, 33 and 35 referring to? Is it an arbitrary scale of automatic overclocking settings? If so, can you completely disable the auto settings for now?

What we need to know is if you can manually change the multiplier to a lower one, at the default FSB. Then, can we change it to a higher one.

Can you figure out how to do that manually, and not with the auto-OC settings? We have to change only one thing at a time, so we can find the culprit. Auto-overclocking stuff changes a number of different things simultaneously. Even though you seem to believe it's easy that way, can you turn it off until we can draw some conclusions?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th July, 2012, 01:31 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

These numbers are Multiples of the BCLK, basic system clock is 100 so 43 would be x100= 4.3 GHZ. I inserted these numbers manually. 35 x 100 is the lowest number it would accept.

This can now be done under Auto, manual or XMP. These refer to how the MB handles RAM CPU and Basic system clock.... ONLY XMP keeps all three in Sync. Manule just keeps RAM and CPU in Sync. Not sure where Auto stands in the line up.

The OC tunner is just a single button that is suppose to automate the OC. If you don't use this, then you must select what you will leave at Auto and what you will juice up. I have about 15 settings gained from the Asus Rep Video, that preconditions the OC environment, Load Line, Vcore, that sort of thing. Once I set up the Board, I tried every single Multiple in Manuel, XMP and Auto.

I tried it with Vcore set directly and with V-core set by a CPU offset. I tried every single voltage for every single multiple in Manule, in XMP and in Auto. I will of course be happy to try anything else you can think of, But I have exhausted all of "my" perceived possibilities. I have nothing left I haven't tried.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 17th July, 2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 17th July, 2012, 02:49 AM

If you've done all that, I'm stumped as well. I said I'd be shocked if it was the CPU that 's the problem, and I'll stand by that. I am prepared to be shocked. Looks like you really have to get that CPU into another known good machine and test it, I guess.

Where/how can you get that done?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 17th July, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 19th July, 2012, 01:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I really don't know! It woulds be a lot easier if I just needed to know if the chip works, It does and very well to!! But only at the stock 3.4 multiple on the V68Z- V Pro Gen 3 board and now the Sabertooth... Never got a boot on the two Z77 pro boards, may have been the power supply I replaced with the Corsair 750.

However I have my case in a local (Small) shop to have the start and re-set buttons that Fry's broke replaced, it will be there a few days while she orders parts... I have no idea if she has a box that's capable of over-clocking, let alone OCing my particular chip... But I guess I'll be asking her...who knows, she may have a friend or a customer who is willing to help me out.

I'm waiting for the dust to settle... once I have my machine back and in known good repair...( I've replaced everything I can think of except the case and my 8800 GTS Video card and the ONLY electric part of the case is the Button assembly>>>LOL)

If it still won't budge I'll call Intel, it's been years, but I recall telling Intel I had Oc'ed a chip once, voiding the warranty and the guy laughed and sent me a new one any way... He just said my OC shouldn't have been a problem...so who knows! ":O}

BTW

The list of things I've tried...That's just what I tried after a week or two getting to know what I should be doing and what I should be expecting...

I tried random Video recommendations for settings where ever I could find them until the basics of the Z series over-clocking was at long last clear in my mind... I only setup a new board every two or three years, I retain only the basics and have to re-learn all the rest...

The list just represents the things I tried once I was really clear enough to get very systematic in my approach... I'm a slow learner...so I can be very persistent..or I would know NOTHING! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 19th July, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 21st July, 2012, 07:50 PM

I would like to thank you for the efforts that you have made in writing this article. This is exactly what I need, Thanks a lot
Old 22nd July, 2012, 07:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

How slowly understanding creeps toward my door, like a begger uncertain of his welcome...

*It's beginning to look like this hardware/overclocking configuration may be useless to Linux users.

Can any one say if Mint 13 supports Intel Speed step and/or Turbo. While you can still overclock from the BIOS...you now can only see/experience that overclock in Windows, on the desktop or if Mint supports turbo and speed step, the desktop.

It ramps up according to load... at lest in windows.

I can't seem to find out if one can still just change the multiple, add juice and go, rather than "OCing the Turbo" (Asus' words, not mine)

What a huge waste of my time and money if one can now only OC in Windows...

Still calling Intel Monday, but it really looks like my chip is fine,That in fact, I've been getting Overclocks, but the CPU only ramps up in Windows under load.

Even under Windows, the CPU shows in all information apps as STOCK speed.

Then you put the CPU under load with a benchmark and while the bench is running open CPUZ or AIDA and it shows the CPU ramped up to the "Turbo" limit you set...assuming of course your OC is good.

I'll Ask Intel if a straight up overclock is still possible, if not, man I wasted a lot of money on this setup...

The only consolation is that overclocking aside,,...this is still a very nice board... even if it has...Thermal Armor...LOL

Who can tell me what this means

I asked Phoronix "To detect System Senors"

I asked at idel:

Detected System Sensors
CPU Frequency: 1600.00 Megahertz
CPU Temperature: 29.80 Celsius
CPU Usage: 4.98 Percent
GPU Fan Speed: 60 Percent
GPU Frequency: 576 Megahertz
GPU Temperature: 50 Celsius
Drive Read Speed: 0.00 MB/s
Drive Write Speed: 0.00 MB/s
Memory Usage: 1152 Megabytes
Swap Usage: 0 Megabytes
System Iowait: 0.00 Percent
System Temperature: 27.80 Celsius

Then I had Phoronix run a Linux compile bench and whil it ran I open a second instenxce of Phoronix and asked it again to report on systen senors, I got:

Detected System Sensors

CPU Frequency: 3401.00 Megahertz
CPU Temperature: 29.80 Celsius
CPU Usage: 100.00 Percent
GPU Fan Speed: 60 Percent
GPU Frequency: 576 Megahertz
GPU Temperature: 50 Celsius
Drive Read Speed: 0.00 MB/s
Drive Write Speed: 0.00 MB/s
Memory Usage: 1817 Megabytes
Swap Usage: 0 Megabytes
System Iowait: 0.00 Percent
System Temperature: 27.80 Celsius
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 22nd July, 2012, 07:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Does the above show Intel Speed step at work?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd July, 2012, 06:17 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

THIS would seem to confirm my suspision that one now requires windoze to Over-clock...

unless there's another way the juice this chip I'm basically screwed....
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd July, 2012, 06:21 AM

As far as my knowledge goes, overclocking is overclocking. The parameters of the CPU and board are set in the BIOS. There is no dependency on the OS that is started by the bootloader.

When people say something about overclocking in Windows, they are referring to some soft that has been written that can access the settings in the BIOS from Windows, while it is running, changing the parameters 'on the fly'. If someone has information to the contrary, please post it here... I can't imagine that a mainboard manufacturer would make it necessary to run a specific OS in order to change those settings, leaving them unchangeable natively from within the BIOS itself. In other words, although there may be software existing that can overclock from within a running Windows environment, you should be able to also make those changes in the BIOS, before the OS even boots.

Personally, I'm old-fashioned and kind of set in my ways, so I haven't experimented with those programs. I don't want my computer BIOS to do things "automatically." That includes ramping up/down or sideways, so I always disable Speedstep and C1E before overclocking.

I'm like Woody Allen explaining to Diane Keaton why he won't use the Orgasmitron in 'Sleeper':

"That thing? No way. I'm strictly a hand operator. I hate things with moving parts other than my own"

EDIT: I have not watched the video in your link, but I will take a look later on

Last edited by ThunderRd; 23rd July, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 23rd July, 2012, 07:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
In other words, although there may be software existing that can overclock from within a running Windows environment, you should be able to also make those changes in the BIOS, before the OS even boots.
Oh You can! But you won't see it, not until you boot windoze and then, not until you stress and put underload...THEN you can see it! Quick look!!

...in CPUZ while you bench...done benching? then you can't see it anymore untill, you guessed it! You bench again.

Like putting rubber boots on a fish if you ask me, it don't look right and who does it help!

I would have tumbled to this long ago, but I just couldn't belive Intel would strap itself to MS... I sure hope Mint is hard at work!

On the bright side, When Patti wasn't looking I hooked up her new printer, USB, first thing to work for me since I bought into the Z77 chip set...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd July, 2012, 08:44 AM

I'm pretty sure something is lost in translation here. Either that, or I'm just stupid. I still have not seen the video, so maybe it will answer my questions later. But, since you're on the line:

What do you mean, you can overclock, but you can't see it? I don't understand. When you are in the BIOS, are you telling me there is no utility to view your settings? How do you view the default settings to make changes?

When you set the FSB and multi to say, 266x9, and then boot and run CPU-z, is the machine running at 2.4G or not? Are you saying that it does not run at 2.4G until it is stressed? If so, you have to turn off whatever is automatically regulating the CPU in the BIOS. Either Speedstep or something like it.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 23rd July, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 23rd July, 2012, 11:55 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

First, you don't need Windows! Exactly the same happens under Linux, but a lot of the speed indication tools under Linux DON'T WORK properly!

Linux has supported Intel Speedstep and AMD PowerNow for a number of years now (at least 4 or 5 years). Intel's Speedstep and Turbo Boost use the ACPI interface that the BIOS provides, so Linux should fully support it.

Intel have a command line tool called "turbostat" that should show the turbo state of the CPU. Yes, it's designed for Linux. There's also a tool called "i7z" that should provide this information in a graphical format. Link is here.

One of the issues is that most of the Linux CPU frequency tools just read back the power state of the CPU and assume that maps to a frequency - that's just not the case with Turbo Boost, so these tools will only indicate the maximum non-Turbo Boost speed, even when your CPU is going faster!
Old 23rd July, 2012, 07:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
First, you don't need Windows! Exactly the same happens under Linux, but a lot of the speed indication tools under Linux DON'T WORK properly!

Linux has supported Intel Speedstep and AMD PowerNow for a number of years now (at least 4 or 5 years). Intel's Speedstep and Turbo Boost use the ACPI interface that the BIOS provides, so Linux should fully support it.

Intel have a command line tool called "turbostat" that should show the turbo state of the CPU. Yes, it's designed for Linux. There's also a tool called "i7z" that should provide this information in a graphical format. Link is here.

One of the issues is that most of the Linux CPU frequency tools just read back the power state of the CPU and assume that maps to a frequency - that's just not the case with Turbo Boost, so these tools will only indicate the maximum non-Turbo Boost speed, even when your CPU is going faster!
Looks like I have my work cut out for me... If someone with more exerperence wants to break this down for me lay out the steps so a nube can understand them..

Otherwise I'll try and wade through the install all by my lonesome...":O}

1st up Turbostat!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd July, 2012, 08:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Spent some time looking at what's required... Unless someone else shares my interest and has a lot better understanding of Linux than I, it may be a very long time before I can get these two to work... I had hoped that one at lest would be easy...

Doesn't Linuux care about Overclocking for stupid people? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd July, 2012, 08:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
I'm pretty sure something is lost in translation here. Either that, or I'm just stupid. I still have not seen the video, so maybe it will answer my questions later. But, since you're on the line:

What do you mean, you can overclock, but you can't see it? I don't understand. When you are in the BIOS, are you telling me there is no utility to view your settings? How do you view the default settings to make changes?

When you set the FSB and multi to say, 266x9, and then boot and run CPU-z, is the machine running at 2.4G or not? Are you saying that it does not run at 2.4G until it is stressed? If so, you have to turn off whatever is automatically regulating the CPU in the BIOS. Either Speed step or something like it.
Ok, this is a bit confusing and a departure from the past. There is a BIOS setup as you are use to it. You can do everything from the BIOS if you wish, or from Desktop if you use Windoze.

However the settings don't report a new clock speed, but rather a "Target speed"

That your machine will try to achieve once your on the desktop, underload.

At this point, at idle, CPUz will report either 1600 or 3.4 depending on speed step ( AS "I" understand this). Because that's what the CPU is doing at idle. (remember I don't have windoze so I'm going by pics from the videos)

Once you put the CPU under load it ramps up to the target speed you set in the BOIS. (or crashes if your settings are wrong) The only time the CPU overclocks is when it needs to under load, then it ramps back down as need decreases.

I've tried turning Turbo and Speed step off. However as Aedan points out, I don't have the reporting tools to tell me what if anything I've accomplished.

I've tried just overclocking the CPU rather than the Turbo, again, I don't know what if anything I accomplished. What I've never done is get a straight up old time Overclock...that is reported as such in Linux...I'm always 3.4, or 3.5, if I use Auto tune. Don't even know if that's possible.

The Video really is a big help, there are others,many others, but this one seems to explain it fairly well.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd July, 2012, 08:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Some snaps to help you understand...":O}

The first is Main, shows CPU at stock, will always show the CPU at stock, except when you use AUTO tune, as it adjusts the FSB, don't know why it shows FSB changes while Mutuplyer changes do not show.

The other pictures are from the AI Tweaker page and several sub-pages...All Overclocking is done here. The last one shows me sitting here at 4.8...

Won't know if it can cut it until I figure out how to stress it....

(Life leads the thoughtful man on a path of many windings...)
Attached Thumbnails
Turned in my Z68 MB for a Asus P8 Z77-V  PRO...sigh-120723194328.bmp   Turned in my Z68 MB for a Asus P8 Z77-V  PRO...sigh-120723193851.bmp   Turned in my Z68 MB for a Asus P8 Z77-V  PRO...sigh-120723193914.bmp   Turned in my Z68 MB for a Asus P8 Z77-V  PRO...sigh-120723194143.bmp   Turned in my Z68 MB for a Asus P8 Z77-V  PRO...sigh-120723194230.bmp  

Turned in my Z68 MB for a Asus P8 Z77-V  PRO...sigh-120723194340.bmp  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 23rd July, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 23rd July, 2012, 09:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Say....ThunderRD....":O}

I would seem that Folding @home might make a decent stresser... Never ran Folding from Linux... It would also seem that YOU might be the guy to ask which Folding client I should use the beat hell out of my CPU...?

And yes this is most likely just where my questions begin as far as installing goes... didn't want it to take you by surprize! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd July, 2012, 09:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

These are the two programs I'm wishing help to install...If you practice enough here you might make good money down the line as a babysitter...":O}

I7Z

and

cpupowerutils
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd July, 2012, 10:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

In the mean time...I found a stresser! Phoronix...

Now I need a reporting untility...Sigh....LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Turned in my Z68 MB for a Asus P8 Z77-V  PRO...sigh-screenshot-2012-07-23-14-47  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur