AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th October, 2012, 08:33 PM

trying to OC a q6600 in D975XBX2

Hi, I hope Muffin is still active on this forum or someone else can help me.

I have a quad core q6600 cpu in a Intel D975XBX2 m/b with 4gb of OCZ ram, 5-4-4-15 800mhz and an ASUS silent knight II cpu cooler with Arctic MX-2 thermal paste. I have an nvidia gx460 graphics card and a thermaltake PSU I think it's a 550 or 600watt version.

I have the multiplier set at 9x in the bios, and ram at 667mhz with settings 5-4-4-15.

I can get a stable OC with FSB set at 320 so a 2.88GHz clock CPU. I have power slope enabled, EIST disabled. Any attempts to get to FSB333 i.e 3.0Ghz CPU have failed, the OCCT application either crashes and brings a blue screen on my PC or errors are seen or the latest issue was OCCT stopping almost immediately on start.

I'm a bit stuck. I have tried increasing the V core to 1.35v but this has made no difference. Oh and my temperatures are showing around 62C using Core temp and OCCT record 75C under load at 2.88Ghz.

Any ideas what I can change/check? I see the term relative frequency being used in previous posts but don't know what to set for this at present it's left on default.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12th October, 2012, 09:40 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

"Have you gone in to BIOS and disabled 'watchdog'. Power down, move BIOS jumper and reboot. This will show you an additional BIOS screen where you can disable watchdog. Power down, move jumper back to normal, see if it boots ok, then reboot, go in to BIOS and try another OC."
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2012, 12:21 PM
Benchmarker

Bump
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2012, 12:39 PM

Hi Chrisbard, thanks for the reply, I have changed the Bios jumper which enabled me to see the maintenance part of the bios settings however there was no watchdog setting to disable. I did dsable the C1E setting.

What does the reference frequency setting do? I've altered my memory from 800 to 667 which means that with the bump up in FSB to 320 my memory is now running at 399.7, but cpu-z says rated FSB 1279.1 what does that mean.

Thanks.

Last edited by wizzard; 13th October, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 13th October, 2012, 04:11 PM
Benchmarker

Use FSB 334 - 9x, FSB:mem 4/5 and set memory to 5-5-5-18. I remember when I had Gigabyte P35 I was running my 6600 at 3,5 Ghz. Anyway 3.0 Ghz should be good.

Old 13th October, 2012, 04:13 PM
Benchmarker

I don't remember my settings but I am sure all those settings are still here somewhere in a thread, you can do a search for q6600 oc on aoa.

Old 13th October, 2012, 05:39 PM

Hi I tried those settings and the PC blue screened after a minute or so this just doesn't want to take 3 Ghz, I'm going to change the Bios to 2809 as recommended by Muff1n. I'll see if that makes a difference.
Old 13th October, 2012, 09:11 PM
Benchmarker

I remember having to set certain voltages in order to get it stable.

Old 14th October, 2012, 05:03 PM

Hi, I have upped the CPU core from 1.325 to 1.35 volts and the FSB one notch to 1.275 and the MCH one notch to 1.550.

These settings are looking better can run OCCT for 10mins on small data set and 10mins on large data set without any crashes or errors. the Silent knight 11, which is a fair air cooler is struggling a bit, the fan is running at 2300rpm and core temp is reporting 65C whilst OCCT is reporting 75C for the cores.

I don't want to add too much more voltages wiithout a better cooler.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Are the water coolers such as corsair H50, any better? I'm not sure I could fit a Noctua D14 in my case, this seems to be the best ar cooler on the market but it's huge.

Without better cooling I daren't try and go to 3.2Ghz or above.

Thanks.
Old 15th October, 2012, 11:02 PM

Bump
Old 16th October, 2012, 11:00 AM
Benchmarker

I had back in the days a huge thermaltake if I'm not mistaken and it did a superb job. With a decent 120mm cooler you should have no problem going up to 3.5Ghz. You also have to have some cooling installed on the northbridge!

Keep in mind though that you have a different mobo, which is a key factor.

Last edited by chrisbard; 16th October, 2012 at 11:11 AM.