AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th November, 2012, 01:05 PM
Member/Contributer

First new rig in years!

Hi everybody,

how are you doing?

I will soon be building my first new computer in 5 years, having had a quad core laptop taking care of business for some time.

Anyway, I've been looking around and am looking to buy the following setup:

Mobo: ASUS P9X79, Socket-2011 ATX, X79
CPU: Intel i7-3820
Cooler: Corsair H70
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin
Video: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB PhysX CUDA
Tower: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
OS hdd: Kingston SSDNow V200+ 120GB 2.5" SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 535MB/480MB/s read/write
Data hdd: Reuse some older drives for storage

Anyway, I'd like your inputs on this. Anything I should look to exchance? Or is this pretty good bang for the buck?

And which Microsoft Windows should I look for? 7 or 8?
Old 7th November, 2012, 07:12 PM
AOA Staff

What would you be using the rig for?

That board will take faster RAM, and depending on what software you will be running 8GB may be enough.
Old 7th November, 2012, 07:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Great to see you back in he game Allan!

Are you intending to Over-clock? If so you might watch out for heat issues with the i7-3820 the smaller die can result in heat dissipation issues, even in a well cooled system.

Also, make sure you get a "K" chip if your over clocking. The K series is unlocked, the rest offer only a truly pathetic over-clock through the ...well what's left of he front side bus.

So for over-clocking it MUST be "K" series chips.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th November, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2012, 01:08 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Shazam, looks like My-T-Fine hardware to me, good to see you on the board, Allan! FWIW, I'm running 12 Gigs of RAM(on an i-5 box) and the dashboard thingy never seems to say more than 18%.
Old 8th November, 2012, 09:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Thanks for the replies, guys! Much appreciated.

This will be a work computer (running simultaneous Visual Studio, Photoshop and Excel) and for the casual World of Tanks gaming.

I intend for it to last at least 2-3 years, and for the price of RAM nowadays I am thinking to go for 16GB while I am at it. Which brand and speed should I look for?

Should I go for a cheaper I5 CPU instead?

Everybody likes a few additional, free MHz - but I am not planning on doing really serious overclocking. I will try to get hold of a K version though. Thanks for the tip!
Old 8th November, 2012, 07:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If your not over clocking Allan it won't make much difference to you. The 2600K is what I went with on a Sabertooth (Asus). (3200 stock and 4.6 gigs overclocked, runs to 5.0 stably but it gets to hot to handle! ":O}

Then Intel shrunk the die and that's the chip your looking at now unless I'm mistaken.

Uses less power...but, it's nearer it's heat maximum. You can't push it nearly as well as the 2600K, the heat builds up to fast in the smaller die chip to be able to dissipate it.

This will be quite different from the Boxes you've built in the past. It took this forums weeks to figure what was going on with mine, and mine was healthy! LOL

Now all overclocking is adaptive, it gives you more when you need it and cuts back on power consumption when you don't...I quite like it. Other feel very differently.":O}

Now Overclocking is really about "How much more" you get under load.

My cores drop to 1600 MHz when Idle, they go up to my preset of 4600Mhz under load. I'm only over clocked when running full out then I clock up to meet the need.

As I fold 24/7 now I'm always at 4600.

if your running stock and not over clocking, I'm not sure of your best course of action..But I can recommend the 2600K she is one sweet chip...for an overclocker...

You may well be an overclocker next year, you were last year, but are you now?

Because if your not you need the best stock chip for your money. That I really don't know.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2012, 07:09 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Shazam, looks like My-T-Fine hardware to me, good to see you on the board, Allan! FWIW, I'm running 12 Gigs of RAM(on an i-5 box) and the dashboard thingy never seems to say more than 18%.
Programs don't need so much RAM.

Even 1GB of compiled code would be one huge program!

The only commonly used programs which need a lot of RAM are video editors, and only if you're editing big video files.

Even so, professional video editors tend to work with their video files on SSDs which means there is far less need to have a lot of RAM. Data can be swapped from RAM to SSD at a tolerable rate.

I can open 6 applications, and still have 5GB of 8GB free.
Old 8th November, 2012, 07:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I bought 16 gigs for $80.00 US

I've used up to around 3 1/2 gigs of it. Then I move to 32 bit Linux that will only use 3 gigs of it... I just have to say 8 gigs would have done just as well at half the price...save your money Allan, the world isn't ready for us yet! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th November, 2012, 07:24 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
I bought 16 gigs for $80.00 US

I've used up to around 3 1/2 gigs of it. Then I move to 32 bit Linux that will only use 3 gigs of it... I just have to say 8 gigs would have done just as well at half the price...save your money Allan, the world isn't ready for us yet! ":O}
16GB might be useful when your bank statement runs to 960,000 pages in a month.
Old 8th November, 2012, 08:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I just knew I had a good reason to buy it! Thanks Danrok, I had forgotten that!

Go for it Allan!! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 9th November, 2012, 01:42 PM
Member/Contributer

Haha, I've missed you guys, and your strange sense of humor :-)

Thanks for all the replies. I may go for some better RAM, and get 8 GB instead. So which modules should I look for??

Any comments as to the video card, according to what I've read, it should offer pretty good bang for the buck?
Old 9th November, 2012, 01:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
You may well be an overclocker next year, you were last year, but are you now?
Thats the thing, I really don't know! But to be honest, I don't think I will risk instability to gain a few extra MHz, but a modest overclock would still be nice.

With my job still offering a lot of travel time (Just been to Seoul in Korea and then Kansas City, next stop is Melbourne later this month, and in January it looks to be Las Vegas and Toronto...), and my own business running on the side, a stable computer is more important than a fast one right now

Last edited by Allan; 9th November, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 9th November, 2012, 03:01 PM
AOA Staff

For that ASUS P9X79 board I would go for 1866MHz as a minimum.

1866MHz should be noticeably faster than 1600MHz.

If you want to splash your cash you could go for 2400MHz.

This works with that board according to Corsair: Dominator? GT with DHX Pro Connector ? 1.65V 8GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMGTX8)
Old 9th November, 2012, 03:04 PM
AOA Staff

A GeForce GTX 660 should keep you going for a few years.

It's twice as fast as the card I've just bought.
Old 9th November, 2012, 04:21 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Thats the thing, I really don't know! But to be honest, I don't think I will risk instability to gain a few extra MHz, but a modest overclock would still be nice.

With my job still offering a lot of travel time (Just been to Seoul in Korea and then Kansas City, next stop is Melbourne later this month, and in January it looks to be Las Vegas and Toronto...), and my own business running on the side, a stable computer is more important than a fast one right now
Let me know when you are heading to Vegas maybe I can drive up and buy ya a beer!! My daughter lives in Kansas as well. I would say come on out to Ca but there really is no reason why to come out here anymore for business it's all left and went to Az and Tx.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 9th November, 2012, 07:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:

Thanks for all the replies. I may go for some better RAM, and get 8 GB instead. So which modules should I look for??

Any comments as to the video card, according to what I've read, it should offer pretty good bang for the buck?
The Kind of RAM you buy has become far more important with the new specs. For My Sabertooth I went with G.Skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBXM, it's great RAM and works very well with my board... but that's the thing!

It may suck on your new board, it's seems to be a far more critical match up, lot's of folks unhappy with the way their ram works with their board.

SOOOO be sure to look up your motherboards RAM specs. Ignore what the RAM says it can get on with, just listen to what your motherboard has to say about which RAM and type. Then buy EXACTLY that.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 9th November, 2012, 07:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Allan, things have really changed with the "K" series chips. They are stable at what you set them to if heat is controlled. They are MEANT to be Over-clocked. A reasonably over-clocked "K" is stable.

But it takes a bit more time to set up and tweak. be glad to help you with that.

So I don't think stability should be a big consideration here. Really it's about time and money....Money for cooling, doesn't have to be a fortune but it needs good cooling if you want to push it.

I think you will like the new boards... but thats just because I like them.":O}

I want you to picture this, Your sitting in front of your new box and you just pulled it all together. you hit the button and she's off to the races!

Your stock! So no worries beyond the initial inspection as far as temps. Your stock, so no concern about finding sweet spots or pushing ram to it's finest hour.

Everything is as Intel intended...

Now are you elated and set free by this or do you find something wanting... do you feel like you should have gotten more fun out of this?

It's all good Allan! But once you turn it on, it's only going to have the capabilities you gave it. Make sure you get what you need to satisfy your interests.

I can't help it! I just keeps returning to me! I knew this man when he was still half a child and in high school! Now he travels the world upon his talents! Now he lives as a man among men. God job of growing up Allan! Not everyone does nearly so well!!":O})
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 9th November, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 9th November, 2012, 07:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Strange? You mean as in having Tigger as a playmate as one approaches his majority?

No! I'll tell you what's strange...it's that I like you having Tigger as a play date and hope you continue the practice with your grand children. ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 9th November, 2012, 07:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Another tip!

Danrok is about as sharp as shopper as we have here at AOA. He can save you money and frustration. But you have to know what you want for him to work his magic!

Ah there's the rub! Knowing what we want... no easy thing at times.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th November, 2012, 01:55 PM
Member/Contributer

You still seem to have a way with words, Mr. Edgar Not so sure I'm falling completely for it though, but nice trying!

Thanks for the kind words though, I've had some good mentors in my life, yourself and others in here included.

I'm thinking that a modest overclock should be possible with the water cooling kit I'm planning on? I haven't gone watercooled since the good old Asetek days, so I am kinda looking forward to it.

We'll see, I'm planning on hitting the buy button next week

Tags
new build