AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th March, 2013, 09:52 AM

Asus maximus extreme?

So I got this old 775 board because I came into quite a few E8400`s and wanted to do some overclocking I got this and a P5QC at the time when these boards were in use I was married and to busy working to play with computers so now while everyone else is playing with I7`s I5`s I`m catching up and I figure I can always find someone to buy them from me in a month or so when I`m done with catching up. Anyway what can anyone tell me about these boards I really don`t know which one to use yet I`m going to do crossfire at least to try but I`m not sure how high I can safely go with FSB on X38 I have several 775 boards and after about 475 fsb I kinda get leary of going any higher although I know they can. For everyday use I keep my EP45-UD3LR at 445 with and E8400@4GHZ I have my Corsair XMS2 PC6400@890 anyway taking this board out and selling it soon and ordered another case to put together my next project. altogether I have the following boards;
ASUS P5W-DH-DELUXE
GA-P35C-DS3R
GA-EP45-UD3LR
ASUS-P5QC
ASUS-MAXIMUS EXTREME X38

all of them work nice except the P5W-Which has a broken Socket Pin and it still works Ok but does not go over about 350 FSB I`m guessing the broken pin is the culprit.I bought it that way not knowing cause it way from E-Bay,and since it worked I never complained but I paid alot for it I would have if I had known. I plan on selling some of this soon and getting an I5-2500K beofre they quit making them! any experience with these boards would be appreciated especially the Maximus and P5Q since they are not together yet this week I`m dong it just have not gotten another CPU HSF yet researching the best one to get yet for the best price and hopefully it will also work on a 1155 socket. Thanks
Old 18th March, 2013, 01:40 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Err...
I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but as far as the FSB, I'm experienced with both the ME and the P5Q.

The ME boards will crap out at somewhere around 450. This is a limitation not of the ME, but of X38 boards in general, and is the main complaint about them. Make no mistake, though, the ME is an excellent board, and quite capable of good stable numbers. It just needs a somewhat higher multiplier since the FSB won't get up to 480+.

P5Qs will go much much higher on the FSB, mine can run at 500 for benchmarking, although I don't do that for daily use. I keep it around 475. I found the southbridge on my P5Q was more difficult to get stable than the ME, but it was doable with some experimentation.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 19th March, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th March, 2013, 06:53 PM

Arrow

Here's my settings to help you along with your P5QC + E8400 using Intel Chipset drivers v9.1.1.1019 &
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver in SATA-AHCI mode using drivers v11.6.0.1030-x64
Also, I use a Cooler Master V6GT to keep my E8400 nice & cool!
Click below on my CPU-Z Validation sig...

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo OC Settings

E8400 4016MHz OC [Low_Voltage]
502 X 8 (4016MHz)
FSB strap: 333
Memory divider: 1:1 (1004MHz)
PCI-E: 100

CPU vCore: 1.3250v
FSB: 1.160v
NB: 1.140v
SB: 1.100v
SB-PCIE: 1.500v
CPU PLL: 1.500v
DRAM: 2.100v

C1E: Disabled
IEST: Disabled
AI Transaction Booster: Manual
Performance Level: 10
Separate RAM Pull-ins Enabled
Loadline Calibration: Enabled
AI Clock Twister: Moderate
CPU GTL Ref: 0.63x
CPU Clock Skew: 300ps
NB Clock Skew: 100ps
CPU Margin Enhancement: Performance

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 21st May, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th March, 2013, 11:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You da man, thanks MUff1N!
Old 19th March, 2013, 04:42 AM

Thanks I got two sets of this G.SkillF3-12800CL7D-4GBRM I was going to use it all in the ME and use some Hyper X in the P5QC but since I can only really OC good on this P5Q I`m guessing I`ll use two sticks of DDRIII in it does it have XMP in the Bios do you know?I have not even booted it yet it is sitting in a box for when I get all the stuff together and have some quiet time around here Madhouse Mainly I just moved to the city again and am currently staying with Mom at at my age it is pretty hard!
Old 19th March, 2013, 04:45 AM

@MUff1N up: I cannot figure out how to do Edits on this forum it seems to delte the whole post?
Old 19th March, 2013, 05:29 AM

@ThunderRd Yeah kinda was Hoping for more on the ME since it is kinda the same as a P35 I already figured it would not come near what a P45 can do. I know my P35C-DS3R becomes a little unstable at 480 but if I gave it more volts it probably would hold it I really like that board though and it is older so I don`t want to kill I`t It is in good shape yet! i`m going to have to get me another vid card and another case and PSU cause I`m going to put these both together and test them along side each other I got 2 SapphireHD3870 for crossfire on the ME. Gonna get a used Vapor X 4890 for the P5QC need a decent PSU now gonna have to put one of my other boards on E-Bay for sale Hard decision to make right now I love them all be easy to sell my P5W DH if someone was to fix it it does work fine just don`t feel right selling it to someone unlike the guy i got it from,but I really can`t run them all,I need to own stock in the Electric company already.

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2692492.png
Old 19th March, 2013, 09:10 AM

ShoutsAMD;

Take a chill pill please. You are speaking to people all around the globe, in different time zones, etc. As soon as someone can get on your case, it will be checked, OK?

Please refrain from using all caps as well. We don't hear you any more clearly when you do that, even though we are ALL old men around here. Except for Daniel, that is.

A little patience goes a long way
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 19th March, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 19th March, 2013, 09:18 AM

OK, I have checked your latest posts and have validated them, because they were waiting for moderation since this is a new account. That is standard practice, so we know you're not a bot.

You should be able to edit them now if you wish.

Old 19th March, 2013, 09:36 AM

Sorry I did not understand why things were not showing up and ended up with doubles, also I subscribed because I thought that I needed to do that anyway I will let you know if I can get things to work tommorow or when I get some time it like almost 4 a.m. here now and still have things to do and sleep Thanks
Old 19th March, 2013, 04:37 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
ShoutsAMD;

Take a chill pill please.

A little patience goes a long way

Welcome to the forums!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 19th March, 2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks alot guys for the Replies I will have some fun doing this! Anyway about last night Too much Tweekin not enough sleepin never did work out too good for me. Time flys when you havin fun! Only slept about 3 1/2 hours and I`m up again Dog licking my face SNowy and blowin like mad here thought Spring was supposed to be here"crazy" only good thing about winter is my computers stay cooler!! I`ve got Arthritis in my hand and legs and pretty much everywhere so it slows me down a bit i try not to let it win.
Old 19th March, 2013, 06:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Welcome SHOUTSAMD/Intel. I hope your let us know how well this pops for you.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 20th March, 2013, 09:25 AM

You have a better chance to push the FSB on the ME with your 8400 than I do with my quad, though. I'd be curious to see how much higher it would go, but I doubt it would go far past 450, either.

My favorite part of the ME is the watercooled northbridge. If you have a watercooled setup it's nice to have the integrated waterblock in there. It works quite nicely in the same loop as the CPU, too.

Muffin is the guy to talk to about the P5Q + 8400 combination, I have a quad in there and that is a whole different ballgame from the dual core chips. You should be able to get FSB 500 easily for a daily overclock, I would think. The quads are much more difficult to get there.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 20th March, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 20th March, 2013, 04:00 PM

I had a QX6700 and did not really want to push it too much I thought it was getting too hot because it was hitting 55c or maybe a little more under load at just 3 GHZ so I went and got this 8400 figured it would be a better over clocker and faster since that quad never seemed to be using to its potential anyway. How many applications can really make use of 4 cores? I`m sure there are more and more all the time these days but in General. My games seemed to run excellent with it though, I just don`t game a lot anymore when a new game I like comes out I`ll paly it a lot until I beat it and then I`m done for awhile. I like to see applications load fast and response time and check benching scores stuff like that and do everyday tasks and not spend time waiting on my computer to catch up with me 450 is good for an E8400 long as it is stable I will try it I have three E8400`s all E0`s right now was thinking of selling one but they don`t go for enough to justify selling them really. two Of mine have never been overclocked so so far I`m keeping those two Separate till a couple more days then I will see how they can run in these other systems still waiting on a vid card hopefully hear back from him soon!
Old 21st March, 2013, 03:06 AM

Cool

Hmmm...The case I bought just came in today been so busy just took it out of the box now It is a Thermaltake V3 Black they were on special at Newegg Somehow I thought it would be wider should have checked the Dimensions ...anyway it will work for one of these also got the HD 4890 could not get the Toxic one though wanted that I got an XFX never owned none of there stuff before. I read this one gets really hot is there a good aftermarket cooler for a decent price I should be looking for for this card here is a link XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com I could maybe get one used for a good price don`t want to invest to much in this card right now really don`t want to burn it up either would like to see how good it Overclocks also.. I was thinking today I must have been robbed of my childhood or I`m just jealous of what this generation gets to play with cause at my age you would think I would be sitting in a bar all the time or something other than this.. I think I might get this for the other build with the HD4890 Sentey Optimus Red Extreme Division Tower case it has a huge fan right obove the GPU!http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811322016 then the thing might stay alive till I get something to cool it with. @ ThunderRd I never got a watercooling system yet I hear the kind I was thinking of getting are not very good, from reading I almost got one a few times but they were self contained units. I want the entire thing to be in my case or at least attached so I can move my tower around. Bring it with me easily I would get one if I knew what to look for though, long as it doesn`t break the bank. I`ve looked into it but not too deeply. I know the pump is important no idea what to get I remember hearing something about pellitizers probably spelled that worong when I first got into OC also anyway don`t see anything about those anymore. Well I keep looking for a good price on a 45nm Quad myself when I`m on E-bay but they want almost as much as an I5-2500K for the 9550. I`ll probably sell these two system in about two months and build something under a 2500K got to keep reading on a good board for it.

Last edited by SHOUTSAMD/Intel; 21st March, 2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: added
Old 21st March, 2013, 08:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hi SHOUTS. Say....if you wouldn't mind...if you put a space in every second or third line it makes your posts much easier for me to read...May I demonstrate? ":O}

Hmmm...The case I bought just came in today been so busy just took it out of the box now,

It is a Thermaltake V3 Black they were on special at Newegg Somehow I thought it would be wider should have checked the Dimensions.

...anyway it will work for one of these also got the HD 4890 could not get the Toxic one though wanted that I got an XFX never owned none of there stuff before.

I read this one gets really hot is there a good aftermarket cooler for a decent price I should be looking for for this card here is a link XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com.

I could maybe get one used for a good price don`t want to invest to much in this card right now really don`t want to burn it up either would like to see how good it Overclocks also..

I was thinking today I must have been robbed of my childhood or I`m just jealous of what this generation gets to play with cause at my age you would think I would be sitting in a bar all the time or something other than this..

I think I might get this for the other build with the HD4890 Sentey Optimus Red Extreme Division Tower case it has a huge fan right obove the GPU!http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811322016 then the thing might stay alive till I get something to cool it with.

@ ThunderRd I never got a watercooling system yet I hear the kind I was thinking of getting are not very good, from reading I almost got one a few times but they were self contained units.

I want the entire thing to be in my case or at least attached so I can move my tower around. Bring it with me easily I would get one if I knew what to look for though, long as it doesn`t break the bank.

I`ve looked into it but not too deeply. I know the pump is important no idea what to get I remember hearing something about pellitizers probably spelled that worong when I first got into OC also anyway don`t see anything about those anymore.

Well I keep looking for a good price on a 45nm Quad myself when I`m on E-bay but they want almost as much as an I5-2500K for the 9550. I`ll probably sell these two system in about two months and build something under a 2500K got to keep reading on a good board for it.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 21st March, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 21st March, 2013, 08:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Pelters have been abandon as being to inefficient and producing to much condensation.

Water cooling remains th best method for chip cooling...5 times greater heat transfer than air.

I have never tried the inexpensive ones, so I can't comment there. I've used Koolance and Swiftech fairly extensively.

Both make a good product, my preference lies with Koolance. Neither come cheap and water blocks "Can" need changing with your mother board... but lately I've been lucky and my updates stayed in the 775 set up.

If you decide to go with Koolance, post back and I can help you make sure you get EVERYTHING you need.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 22nd March, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 21st March, 2013, 10:01 PM

Thanks Daniel I will do that I just got done Putting The P5QC together

Now time to get it up and running and do some testing today still

waiting on the Vid Card I`m using an Old 8600GT in it now. So I will post back in the next day or so about it. I just installed windows so far..

Edit Ran a few small tests so far this P5QC is a pretty solid board and everything is running fast and cool...I really like it so far http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2740166.png Has not went over 54c on either core in all my tests so far.. Do not know why it does that CPU-Z Validator 3.1 I`m pretty sure with a little more tweeking I should get 4.5

Last edited by SHOUTSAMD/Intel; 22nd March, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 22nd March, 2013, 08:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

well done.

I need to correct myself, I've had recent experience with Koolance, been 5 years since I've used Swifteck.

Keep on truckin! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur