AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th January, 2016, 06:10 AM

Question Intel D945GTP

Hi everybody. I'm in that tinkering mood again. I have an Intel D945GTP motherboard, and it has the 945G Express chipset in it. I'd like to upgrade the processor to an Intel Core 2 Duo, but I get conflicting information about compatibility.

According to Intel, the chipset will support up to an E6700 Core 2 Duo. However the motherboard says it only supports Intel Pentium D, but yet it has a FSB of 1066. Pentium D doesn't have 1066 FSB speeds. So I wonder?

I have the latest BIOS dated 2009 if that means anything.
Old 15th January, 2016, 06:41 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sorry, I don't know. Maybe Gizmo might be able to help.
Old 15th January, 2016, 10:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I am suspecting the answer to your question is probably 'no'.

Although the P4D and Core2Duo both use the same LGA775 socket, the Core2Duo requires a mobo compatible with 11.0 of Intel's VRM spec. I haven't been able to yet find what the D945GTP VRM spec is, but I've got to suspect it's probably 10.0, which means that it can't meet the requirements for regulation that the Core2Duo demands.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th January, 2016, 12:53 AM

Seems pointless that they would use a chipset that could operate a 1066Mhz front side bus.

I think the actual model number for the motherboard might be
D945GTPLKR. I'm not familiar with the VRM specs at all.