AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd May, 2002, 03:00 AM

Cel1.0A, what mobo?

I missed out on the whole Tualitan thing but I just acquired a Cel 1.0A. Now I'm kinda lost. What board should I get to mount'er on? Been thinkin' on finding an Abit ST6, but since I've been gone from the Intel scene so long there may well be better offerings. Any recommendations?
Old 25th May, 2002, 12:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

I have the GA-6vtx. It's the via 649T chipset, and so far it is 100% stable mobo and has a lot of OCing options. I would check newegg.com's refurbished sections, I Bought mine gigabyte there for $49.99 with free shipping. I seen it there restocked a few times as well.

Well, just some info. I was debating between intel's 815eb and via. Intel's 815 only can use 512megs of ram and no ECC, while via 649T can go to 1.5GB ram and supports 72bit ECC code. The drawback is that via is not supposed to have as good memory speeds as intel. Well all is all, I choose via because I have 2 512 sticks of ECC ram. Trust though, I had the via pro133 chipset before my current 649T which I think is the pro133T. There is a huge difference between them. So far I have had bo BSODs do to my mobo.

BTW, my ram speeds. Sorry I didn't have 133 and 100MHz recorded;
int-877/float-850 - 153MHz
int-917/float-890 - 161MHz

That's not too bad for SDRAM, so via's memory speeds are not that bad. The only suggestion is to get a name brand mobo, like Gigabyte, asus, abit, epox, or shuttle. Trust me from experiance, I bought a cheap mobo before and there is a huge stability difference between my cheap mobo and my "brand name" mobo.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th May, 2002, 01:35 PM
Member/Contributer

Do you have an older BX board lying around doing nothing? It is POSSIBLE on some older BX boards to actually modify it to support Tualatin...

Takes some wiring, but its possible. On some boards. If you are interested in this I will give you some links to check out.
Old 25th May, 2002, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan
Do you have an older BX board lying around doing nothing? It is POSSIBLE on some older BX boards to actually modify it to support Tualatin...

Takes some wiring, but its possible. On some boards. If you are interested in this I will give you some links to check out.
Well, I could use my old BX6r2 but that would cut down somewhat on the overclockability. The old BX'es were great for chips with 66 MHz FSB but with a lack of the 1/4 divisor the 100 MHz fsb chips would put things way out of spec when pushing hard.
Old 25th May, 2002, 06:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I find that the i815 chipset has miserable Memory performance, at least as BM'd by Sandra. I know that at least one alternative chipset from Via returns much better Memory BM's. Dang! I lost interest in Intel processors a while back, sorry that I can't remember which Via chipset it was.
Old 26th May, 2002, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
I find that the i815 chipset has miserable Memory performance, at least as BM'd by Sandra. I know that at least one alternative chipset from Via returns much better Memory BM's. Dang! I lost interest in Intel processors a while back, sorry that I can't remember which Via chipset it was.
I knew the original i815's mem performance was very poor, but I thought with the introduction of the i815EP this was very much improved. Have I misled myself once again?
Old 26th May, 2002, 03:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

Quote:
Originally posted by LutaWicasa

I knew the original i815's mem performance was very poor, but I thought with the introduction of the i815EP this was very much improved. Have I misled myself once again?
I thought that too. I thought the 815EP had memory scores better than via's pro133T (694T)?

(i said 649t before, I meant 694t) but same difference.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th May, 2002, 07:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by LutaWicasa

Well, I could use my old BX6r2 but that would cut down somewhat on the overclockability. The old BX'es were great for chips with 66 MHz FSB but with a lack of the 1/4 divisor the 100 MHz fsb chips would put things way out of spec when pushing hard.

no, it handles the 100MHz fsb just fine. it's the 133 that's pushing the specs. 100 / 3 = ~33MHz.
Old 27th May, 2002, 02:58 PM
Member/Contributer

I know for a fact that my BE6-2 can handle FSB's up to at least 145 MHz - and I think yours wouldn't do bad either.

Anyway, the Abit ST6 is probably the best NEW tualatin mobo you can get. The TUSL2-C ain't bad either, ASUS makes some good boards.
Old 27th May, 2002, 04:19 PM

Yeah, but at 145 FSB with the BX6r2 the PCI would be running a bit over 48MHz. I'm afraid that if it even booted my HDD would be totally fubarred.

Eh, doesn't matter now. Got a ST6 on the way :clown:
Old 31st May, 2002, 09:23 AM
Member/Contributer

Are you sure that BX6 has no 1/4 divider? My BE6-2 has one, and at 143FSB I'm at about 35-36 MHz for PCI devices, a speed they can handle. However, my mobo uses Softmenu 3, I think yours is softmenu 2.

Doesn't matter now, just be sure to let us know how much you can get out of your new toy!

Last edited by Allan; 31st May, 2002 at 09:26 AM.

« Stepping | Built it »