AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd June, 2002, 05:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Freedom

Question Looking for the best P4 mobo for OC...

I am looking for the "best" motherboard for P4s (Northwood to be more specific).

What i want (no matter what) is:
* The mobo must be OVERCLOCKABLE to the bone!!!
* Must support Northwood P4 (wouldn't like to flash the bios 1 day after the purchase!!!)
* Must support (i mean recognize) PC2700 DDR modules without probs
* Wide FSB range (how else am i supposed to OC the P4???)
* Adjustable RAM's voltage
* MUST HAVE SETTINGS TO ENSURE THAT PCI AND AGP WILL REMAIN IN SPECS (33Mhz AND 66Mhz) NO MATTER WHAT THE FSB WILL BE!!!!(i wouldn't like to force my precious PCI and AGP cards to operate to non-standard frequencies)
* Stability and reliability

I am not intrested in:
* 566 FSB (probably i'll get an P4 1.6A Northwood)
* RAID controller (i've got a PCI controller and thats enough)
* built in sound chip (i've got an Audigy Platinum)
* built in vga (i've got a GF3 and a GF256DDR)

So, if you have any suggestions (i'd prefer your personal experience instead of just some opinions) PLEASE let me have'em!!!

Also, i'd be much obliged if you mentioned SPECIFIC brands and models.

Thanks in advance, mates!!!
Old 4th June, 2002, 05:44 AM

2 things.

First of all, the SIS645 boards are by far the best I've used. I've run 7 p4 boards....6 DDR & 1 RDRAM. Both i845 board I've had have been "nice pieces of junk"

Can't set the PCI/AGP at a fixed setting on the SIS. Only on the i845 as far as I know. Also don't know of an i845 mobo that supports RAM jumpers. Maybe an Asus board.....dont' quote me on that.

I'd go SIS645. 7 boards, and the cheapie MSI 645 Ultra is BY FAR the best I've used. Got a 1.8 to 2.7 on that board....and it supports DDR333.

My thoughts.
Old 4th June, 2002, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cw823
2 things.

First of all, the SIS645 boards are by far the best I've used. I've run 7 p4 boards....6 DDR & 1 RDRAM. Both i845 board I've had have been "nice pieces of junk"

Can't set the PCI/AGP at a fixed setting on the SIS. Only on the i845 as far as I know. Also don't know of an i845 mobo that supports RAM jumpers. Maybe an Asus board.....dont' quote me on that.

I'd go SIS645. 7 boards, and the cheapie MSI 645 Ultra is BY FAR the best I've used. Got a 1.8 to 2.7 on that board....and it supports DDR333.

My thoughts.
Hehehe..............and he would know. He's had more P4 rigs than anyone (I think including Intel )
Old 5th June, 2002, 08:27 PM
Member/Contributer

I just helped a friend order a new killer machine, it has a 2.0 P4 northwood and uses an:
ASUS P4S333 motherboard.

I'll let you know when I assemble the computer next week, wheather or not the board can live up to my expectations. If I were to buy a P4 board today, this is indeed the card I would go for.

Cw's MSI's aren't bad either, from what I've read and heard.
Old 5th June, 2002, 08:32 PM

Please Allan, keep me informed.
Old 5th June, 2002, 08:52 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by Freedom
Please Allan, keep me informed.
Sure will. I hope we can get all the parts on Monday or Tuesday. I'll have some results in a week or so.

In the meantime, I can give you this:

P4S333:
http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socket478/p4s333/overview.htm
Old 5th June, 2002, 11:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Speedo

From personal experience the Epox 4SDA+ sucks (based on SiS645) and shouldnt be touched with a barge pole unless you're planning on running @ default speed, my overclocking experience with this was dire, managed to get my 1.6A to 133fsb, and it wouldnt boot any higher than that So I dumped that and bought an Abit BD7-Raid (based on I845D) and its been pretty good, but not the best above 170fsb, I have had my 1.6A to 2.7Ghz stable on it (170fsb), did 5 hours of prime @ 175fsb (2.8Ghz) but theres something in my system holding it back (suspected psu) although it needs a good chip to get to similar speeds as mine It also sports locked PCI bus speeds (33/37.5/42) and /3 /4 dividers, up until 150fsb its fine with 33mhz locked pci speed but after that its wise to use 37.5 because the problem with 33mhz isnt completely fixed (cold boot is fixed in latest bios, but there are some stability issues above 150 w. 33mhz). The board has up to 2.7v for dimms, and with a little wire trick on the nw chip so it sets it to 1.7v default, the board will allow up to 2.2v selectable (no nutter is gonna run it that high tho).
Hope this helps a little in your choice
Old 7th June, 2002, 11:59 PM

Any opinions about EPoX EP-4BDA2+???

(It has the PCI/AGP lock i'm looking for)
Old 8th June, 2002, 12:43 PM
.:N2:.

#1 i wanna say HEY! to CW, it's good to see ya here man

#2, CW would definitely know about which board is best, the man does push many many different Intel combos till they bleed.
i believe he has had the EP-4BDA2+ as well.

#3 i'm also looking into Northwoods, which is why i came in the thread in the first place... therefore, as you see by my sig, i have nothing very constructive to say, i'm just learning myself

good luck to you Freedom!
Old 8th June, 2002, 10:33 PM

Thanks mate!!!
Old 9th June, 2002, 08:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Naughtyboy_2000

Hey guys...!!!

WEll I´m also new to the P4....I got my self an P4 1.6NW and EP-4SDA. Going to put everything to getter on Thuesday when my P4 kit to my VapoChill arriwes.
So far I´ve seen many people use the 4SDA without any major difficulties.
Sure some have problems but there always are. There will always be some faulty mobos. I have a friend how bought his 4SDA for about a month ago..and have´nt had singel problem so far.
Have done some reading around the net..and as previous posted in the thread...Sis chipset seems to be the one to go for.

God Luck man...!!
Old 9th June, 2002, 12:59 PM

I don't know, Naughtyboy_2000, about this mobo...it seems that 4sda+ is not so OC-able...at least that's what i've heard of...maybe its the chipset, maybe not...

Thas why i prefer to get an intel chipset...just tobe on the safe side...

Good luck anyway and don't forget to tell me your experience with your mobo (especially the OC of 1.6A part!!!).
Old 9th June, 2002, 08:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Naughtyboy_2000

Well.....I guess we´ll just have to wait and see. I´m gonna put my rigg together on Thuesday when my P4 kit to my VapoChill arriwes.

I will post my first impression and about the OC..in this thread:

Tips on a EP-4SDA sytem...!!!

So just chek in Thuesday afternoon and night and I´ll be posting
Old 10th June, 2002, 07:09 AM

You bet Naughtyboy_2000!!!

Once again, good luck, mate!!!
Old 10th June, 2002, 07:40 PM

i was just thinking about putting together a 1.6a NW and the p4s333-m. does anyone know about any issues with the promise raid cards? btw, what does the "m" stand for?

thanks

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th June, 2002, 01:25 PM
Member/Contributer

I assembled the computer yesterday, using the 2.0A and P4S333! I really like the board, seems very stable and OC-friendly. It allows for easy overclocking thru BIOS, including Vcore selection.

I can easily recommend that board...
Old 18th June, 2002, 11:28 AM

What is your highest OC with this mobo Allan so far?

What cpu vcore did you use? FSB settings? PCI/AGP freq?

I've heard that this mobo has some probs with the maximum cpu vcore...and thats a kind of serious thing if you are intrested in the maximum OC you can get...
Old 18th June, 2002, 09:43 PM
Member/Contributer

Since it wasn't mine, and using a silent viking cooler (oh dear!), I could easily get 2400 MHz with +0.1 Vcore.. I didn't take it further, I'll try that next time I visit him!
Old 19th June, 2002, 09:11 PM

Hi, I´ve just come over from the Epox MB forum.
Got a board last week, Epox 4BEAR with the I845e on which I cant use my TV card (or any board with that chip, apparently), cant install my sound card and doesn´t want to oc, so I´m going to change it.

Been offered the Asus P4S-533 or the Abit SD7-533.

What do you reckon? Had an K7m till now, really wanted a change from Asus. Still, if they´re the best...............

Ciaw
Old 20th June, 2002, 06:21 PM
Member/Contributer

I've had some good experience with Abit, but ASUS ain't bad either.. I would take the ASUS, but also because I don't know much about the Abit.