AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th June, 2002, 02:31 PM

New PC - Need Help

Hi guys

Well I fianlly need a new PC my P 3 1GHZ is crashing on me all the time so I have to put some thing new together

The problem is I have been studying 3D the last few months and I am not up to date on all the latest and greates CPU's and MB's .... the last time I was researching for a new PC was when the 1.6a, Abit TH7II were the best bang for the buck. Even today I want the best bang for the buck so I would appreciate anyone tell me what currently is the best combo out there ... I dont care if its DDR or Rambus ... I just want the best bang for the buck ... and no I dont mean ' Mustang Ranch "

I am more interested in Intel than Amd. I have an XP server but I want the workstation to be Intel if at all possible .... so what combos should I look at
Old 20th June, 2002, 06:17 PM
Member/Contributer

As for bang for the buck, the 'slowest' Northwoods (1.6 and 1.8) are still the way to go. I would grab something like this:

+ 1.6A P4 Northwood
+ ASUS P4S333 Motherboard
+ Minimum 256 MB DDR 2700 RAM

You need video card as well?

+ GeForce4 TI-4200 128 MB DDR

The P4 will overclock to 2200-2400 without great problems, so its a good way to go.. The ASUS is a stable board with good OC capabilites.

Hope this helps.
Old 21st June, 2002, 11:41 AM

What about Rambus in the futre ... is there going to be a future for it or if I go this route will it be out obsolited in a years time

I was thinking going DDR .... so what is best right now the new SiS boards or boards like the BD7 II ..... damn the last time I checked these boards the BD7 II wasnt even being talked about as a future board

Whats the word on the BD7 II .... I plan to OC but not necessarily take it to the max

I dont mind going with Rambus but I dont want Rambus to be gone from the marlet in a year and I thought it was going to

From the current DDR chipsets is it true that the new SiS chepset kicks ass over boards like the BD7 II

The 1.6a is 139 the 2.0a is 189 ..... isnt the 2.0a the better deal ..... what can I expect on average for 2.0a with respect to OC
Old 21st June, 2002, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose
What about Rambus in the futre ... is there going to be a future for it or if I go this route will it be out obsolited in a years time
I dont mind going with Rambus but I dont want Rambus to be gone from the marlet in a year and I thought it was going to

From the current DDR chipsets is it true that the new SiS chepset kicks ass over boards like the BD7 II
I can't answer any other questions but this: Rambus is in trouble. I would not invest in it for that reason alone. I can't say if it will be here tomorrow or not, but support is doublessly bound to falter. Besides, from what I can gather, DDR is almost as functional and has much wider support.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2002, 01:44 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

There's some fairly large questions over the validity of the Rambus patents, as I'm sure you're aware. Should the patents be shown to be invalid, then I don't see Rambus as a company any longer.

On the other hand, if the patents are invalid, then memory manufacturers can produce Rambus parts without paying a license fee. This could encourage Rambus parts, at the expense of Rambus the company.

Could swing either way!

AidanII
Old 22nd June, 2002, 12:09 AM

What are the better DDR boards out there ... can you find better than the BD7II, AsusP4B533

also, I never even knew there was B versins of the Northwood's, can someone explain these CPU's
Old 22nd June, 2002, 01:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Ill take that PIII 1gig CPU , LOL- pm me if your getting rid of it........ LOL I KNOW NO SELLING, BUT ITS JUST A QUESTION :-d
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd June, 2002, 01:24 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Spyder... come on! You know better.
don't bring it here. And please delete your post.
Old 22nd June, 2002, 01:31 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Regarding your OLD system. Couple things I would do is Clean out the heatsync/fan and scan for viruses.

And when boxes are running good, check out our Folding @ Home section!!
Thanks,
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 22nd June, 2002, 08:13 AM
Member/Contributer

Dang Robbie, spoken like a real dedicated folder!! I couldn't have said it better myself. Its subtle, I like it! lol