AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th July, 2002, 10:05 PM

Question Abit St6 Problems-long

I’ve just upgraded my old Gateway 450MHz PIII business computer with an ABIT ST6 (VERSION 1.0) mobo, Celeron 1.3 gig, Antec 300 watt PSU, MSI MS-8808 32 MB video card. I still am using the WD 13.5 gig HDD that came on the machine. I used my GW restoration disk to format and reinstall the GW 98 SE. The GW disks have the drivers for my modem, floppy, and dvd player. I also have an internal zip that came with the unit. I had previously added a Plextor CDRW. I installed the zip as slave to the HDD, and the dvd as slave to the Plextor. I am running default settings on the bios (version 6.00 PG).

I have encountered a couple of problems. One, no sound. I am trying to use the integrated on board card AC ’97. When I install the driver, a window pops up that tells me I have to remove the old version. I click OK, and the install process begins for the Avance 97. Prompted to restart to finish installation, the reboot progresses, and eventually a window pops up saying there is a display error, and my display has the appearance of being in Safe Mode, even though it is not. Once it went to DOS message, and said VCOMM error, must reboot. When I rebooted, it would only do so in Safe Mode. The only way I could correct it was to format and start all over. I have done this three times, so I need some help. I saw a post somewhere, that this might have to do with the Com 2 port? Needs disabling?

Next, I am using the Ram that I had on the old board. One GW stick of 16x64 128 mb PC 100, and two sticks of Crucial 16X64 128 mb PC133. My system only recognizes 256 mb instead of 384. I have moved them around in different orders, and always 256 mb. I took out the old GW stick, and still registers 256. Any suggestions? Need different RAM?

I downloaded a hardware disk doctor upgrade from ABIT last night. I left my computer running doing the download. When I came in this morning and moved the mouse to wake up system, an alarm went off that sounded like a small siren. What was that about? Rebooted and all was normal.

What is Direct X?

Thanks for any help.
Old 8th July, 2002, 06:25 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Quint!

When you replace a mainboard, you get a new BIOS with the new mobo. If the HDD still "thinks" that the same old BIOS that came with the now missing mainboard--as well as the old mobo itself is still the lay of the land, there's plenty of room for problems.

When I install a brand new motherboard, I fdisk, then re-format the Hard Disk Drive. That way, the HDD "knows" that a new BIOS and new mainboard now live in the machine. The data(you can call it 'sub-operating system data') on your hard drive still believes that your old mobo is there.

Another difficulty is that the version of the OS that came with the Gateway was made expressly for that OEM machine. You're now throwing it curves-- because Gateway doesn't live in your machine anymore. It rode out of town when you removed the orginal mobo.
A non-OEM version of Win98SE, or any other off-the-shelf OS will make life easier.

Many mobo's have problems utilizing more than two RAM slots. 'Fraid that Abit's are well known for this problem.

Chances are very good that you won't buy another OEM machine(like Dell, Compaq, IBM, HP or Gateway)again. Upgrading them is often too difficult to bother with.
Welcome to the land of "roll your own box's," glad to have you!
Old 8th July, 2002, 10:28 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Re: Abit St6 Problems-long

Quote:
Originally posted by Quint
What is Direct X?

DirectX is Microsoft's direct to video mechanism. Instead of going through Windows, DirectX allows programs to write directly to the video and sound cards. This greatly improves speed, especially for 3D games. I think the latest version is DirectX 8.1.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!