AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th July, 2002, 06:42 AM
eobard

Coppermine? Katami?

Simply put, what's a celeron 667? Is it Coppermine (my guesstimate) or Katami?
Old 9th July, 2002, 02:06 PM
Member/Contributer

Its a cumine alright.
Old 9th July, 2002, 10:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If I had a nickel for every "Katami" mentioned on BBS's. Oh yeah, "Athalon" too. Where does one find these processor's? I've searched, believe me. Some vice president at Intel emailed me. The message told me to stop asking about "Katami's." He said that Intel never built one single "Katami." Ever. And never would. To my embarrassment, I noticed that Intel manufactured millions of Katmai processor's. As there is no river on the West coast of the US named "Katami," it's a safe bet that a KATAMI processor will never see the light of day.

I received a mildly threatening letter from AMD. In it, they explained that thousands of less than observant people kept asking about "Athalon's." They insisted that they never built any "Athalon's." They fabbed millions of Athlon's, yet never had, nor will fab one "Athalon." Rarely have I been so insulted!

So: ATHLON, yes. KATMAI, yes.

NO Katami. NO Athalon. Is this a country of functional illiterates? Duuh!
Old 9th July, 2002, 10:51 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Anything over 566 is a Coppermine. The 566 comes in both versions. I've had both so I know.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th July, 2002, 10:54 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I believe intel's fastest Katmai was the 550.. 100fsb and 5.5x.
133fsb was never introduced by intel.. tho, I'm sure a few handy overclockers figured out a way to run Katmais that way.
Old 9th July, 2002, 11:06 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Let me expand on my answer. 566 was the last Katmai core Celeron. There was a span of a couple of months when both the Katmai core and the Coppermine core Celerons were available. All Celerons back then ran at 66FSB. The 566's were 8.5 x 66Mhz.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th July, 2002, 01:55 AM
eobard

Next question: Someone's effed their motherboard that had a Celeron 667 Coppermine in it, what board do you recommend for a replacement? (the currently dead one had onboard video) This is a replacement question, not an upgrade one.
Old 10th July, 2002, 02:02 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I think Asus has a few of 'em. Mostly microATX with sound/video/lan all built in.

Do you know the stepping of the celeron? If it's a later rev, you might be able to get 1gig out of it... Usually microATX boards have no overclocking features, but are cheap.
Old 10th July, 2002, 02:25 AM
eobard

It probably won't be overclocked, and I should have asked the form factor but nooooo, I had to ignore that info. I'm pretty sure it's standard ATX from the flow of the conversation. Potential proprietary problems never came up.
Old 21st July, 2002, 01:21 AM

Since their board can take copppermines, you could throw in a Celeron 1.1 (not Celeron 1.1A most boards dont support them) as overclocking is not a concern....
They are easy to get and cheap.

null
Old 21st July, 2002, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jay
Since their board can take copppermines, you could throw in a Celeron 1.1 (not Celeron 1.1A most boards dont support them) as overclocking is not a concern....
They are easy to get and cheap.
Abit VH6T will run the 667 or the Tualatin cores. The board's solid and only $60, and relatively overclocking friendly if they should ever choose to.