AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th August, 2002, 05:21 AM

Vrimm Mod For The Asus P4t533 32-bit

Ok guys I figured it out the easy way to do the VRIMM MOD w/o soldering to the board and it is adjustable to whatever voltage you desire!

I used 2 SMD grabbers and Radio Shack 10K pot (can also use a 47K pot). With a 10K pot, you can go to 3V or higher. 10K gives you 2.74V right from the start and 47K gives about 2.62V. Anyway click on the link and you'll find it in the article...Happy mods!
Old 19th August, 2002, 12:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome aboard AOA's forums, Ace-a-rue! I'm interested in hearing more about your Vrimm mod. I'm sure it will be valuable, even for folks with more prosaic Memory!
Old 19th August, 2002, 01:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

The twin phase Vcore powersupply really mucks the P4T533 up from what I've read, so I don't see why anyone would want one for overclocking purposes. But it's good that someone ventured in to the unknown realm of hacking the memory voltage for this board . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th August, 2002, 02:47 AM

Thanks Cloasters and Dimmreaper for the welcome and support!

I had done the 'How To' for the Iwill P4R533-N with Vcore and Vrimm. That was easy because the same two regulators were already being used on the KR7A, which were already described in other forums.

Dimmreaper mentioned those twin IC that control the Vcore current and I believe he is right on target. Here is what it says about those devices from the company PDF:

Quote:
"Multiphase power conversion is a marked departue from earlier single phase converter configuration previously employed to satisfy the increasing current demands of modern microprocessors. Multi-phase converters, by distributing the power and load current results in SMALLER and LOWER cost transistors with FEWER input and output capacitors. These reductions accrue from higher effective conversion frequency with highr frequency ripple current due to the phase interleaving process of this topology."
I would bet those smaller and lower costs transistors along with fewer input/output capacitors did the damage to Asus's fine reputation. They got talked into trying to save money and ended with a severe current problem for the CPU.