AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th September, 2002, 02:12 PM

Building very fast PC

For my work, i have to build the fastest single processor system for a reasonable price.
I already have a PROMETIA COOLING SYSTEM (-40°C) AND 2x CORSAIR XMS PC3200 512 MB DDR memory.

As I do not have much experience in overclocking any suggestions,comments and help is welcome.

I was thinking of buying a Asus P4S533 MB (Runs at DDR 400) and a P4 @ 100MHz to overclock up to 133 MHz or more.

I have read at chillblast.com that they have overclocked a P4 1.8 up to 3.2 GHz (with voltage mod = 1.95).
The cooling system of the prometia is much better than the Vapochill so I should at least get these results.

Can I go higher with a P4 2 GHz ? or should I buy a P4 2.5 GHz @ 100MHz and begin from there.

As I am running text based linux for my calculations, a fast graphics card isn't necessary.
Old 7th September, 2002, 05:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Buy the 2.5 and go for the 3.5gig mark- BUT REMEMBER- SNDS- sudden northwood death syndrom- happens at above 1.7v and below 0c--- if left for more then a month-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2002, 06:12 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Your building it for your work? I wouldn't OVERCLOCK it then. You want it to be as stable as can be and last A LONG time. Once you take a system out of specs there IS NO guaranty that it will stay working like that for a long time.

And WHY RISK your good name to your fellow employee's and Superiors?!?! Also if it's going to be a server of some sort I would recommend getting MORE ram, and a motherboard with a raid setup.

Happy clocking.
Rob

EDIT what's up with the spell checker?!?!?!?!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah

Last edited by robbie; 7th September, 2002 at 06:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!