AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th September, 2002, 04:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TT120

Dual PIII stepping

I was wondering if the stepping on PIII chips matters on a dual board. Do both chips have to be the same stepping?
Old 18th September, 2002, 05:06 AM

Re: Dual PIII stepping

Quote:
Originally posted by TT120
I was wondering if the stepping on PIII chips matters on a dual board. Do both chips have to be the same stepping?
Not necessarily. The same stepping thing was mostly for overclocking duals with the theory that the two chips would run similar speeds at similar voltages.

They should both be the same kind such as coppermine but stepping isn't a big deal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2002, 03:55 PM
Banned

Hey TT !!

Great to see you 'round.

Mr. Wilson is quite right, but I thought I'd say hi!
Old 19th September, 2002, 06:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TT120

Hey Pinky! hows it going? Long time.
Old 19th September, 2002, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TT120
Hey Pinky! hows it going? Long time.
I figure we don't run into each other because I only post in Cyber deals, the blue room, and the classifieds over there...

I also dropped Intel for the cheaper and unlockable AMD stuff, very pleased thus far with the move (so's my wallet ).

Been doing more music lately, too, something you probably didn't even know I was involved in since I was just getting back into home production the time I was most involved at oc'ers.com...

feel free to check some of it out www.the-boogiemen.com
Old 26th September, 2002, 07:16 AM

I FOUND YOU!!!!
i thought you might be dead!

good thing tho... just incase you didnt here the word there will be a lan party this weekend, if your free we'd love to see ya there...
Old 26th September, 2002, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to phantompunisher

is everyone sure about not needing the same stepping for a intel dual? i always heard you needed the same steping but ive never seen any tests or anything
Old 27th September, 2002, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phantompunisher
is everyone sure about not needing the same stepping for a intel dual? i always heard you needed the same steping but ive never seen any tests or anything
Absolutely sure, I have done it with P3's. Matching the stepping was mainly for overclocking purposes.

I even read, not sure where and when, that you don't even have to have the same speed grade of chips as long as they are same family such as coppermine. That one I am not so sure about as I have never tried.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th September, 2002, 02:13 AM

Yep... Stepping is NOT a big deal...

I have run duals of different speeds together... no problem... P3 650 & 500... I think that was a VP6 board (but am unsure.. )

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.