AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Intel Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/5-intel-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   How to? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/intel-motherboards-and-cpus/21462-how-to.html)

zvezdjuck 26th October, 2003 04:40 PM

How to?

Is there any way to overclock 1.3GHz Tualatin Celeron higher than motherboard can support. I've got epox ep-3pta that supports only 1.5GHz processors, but I want to reach the speed of about 1.73GHz.

piccoLEW 26th October, 2003 07:03 PM

should be possible by increasing the front side bus.
I havnt had any experience with epox motherboards, but there must be a way. There are plenty of Epox users here im sure they can help :), bear in mind anything you do is at your own risk.

my intel al440lx is only supposed to take a celeron 433 (slot1) but with a slocket i got it running a celeron 766, which in windows i can use cpufsb or softfsb and change the fsb so that it runs at about 940mhz.. but its not v. stable

i have an A bit bh6 mobo, its only supposed to use certain solt1 p3's, i use a 1.4 Ghz tualatin and a slocket, i can up the fsb up to 112mhz and i got a 1.5 ghz tualatin.

so the I'm sure it is possible, but 1.3Gh - 1.7 is a fairly large jump, you will need to make sure you have sufficient cooling, also when you up the FSB you increase the speed everything else works at as well, which can cause damage.

zvezdjuck 27th October, 2003 07:33 AM

Well, EP-3PTA allows user to raise FSB with the step of 1MHz. Raising FSB higher than 110MHz causes PCI bus errors, and with the FSB of 115MHz I have the limit. When comp boots up, it says that it's Celeron 1.49GHz and continues loading OS. There WCPUID says that actual speed is ~1502MHz. Raising FSB to 116MHz causes hang up before memory test though CPU boots and says that it's 1.50GHz. Maybe, it's due to CPU itself, but I'm sure it's due to motherboard limits.
Personally, I would like to make it run at 133MHz FSB, because PCI would work at 33MHz and produce no errors, while performance should be pretty competitive.

piccoLEW 27th October, 2003 03:45 PM

what ram modules are you using? sd/ddr? pc100 im guessing.

if its sd ram are you using pc100 or pc133 modules?

zvezdjuck 29th October, 2003 02:51 PM

It's pc133 256mb module I'm using.

CamoAlien 30th October, 2003 02:09 AM

zvezdjuck - Hi.

As you said, a 133 MHz bus would be ideal, since you can get the 1/4 PCI divider. Although, you can get the 1/4 divider using certain FSBs under 133.

I think that most board switch at or near 130 MHz FSB. But with most BIOS setups, you cannot select a FSB that is this high on chips with a default 100 FSB. If yours is set up the same way, then we would have to trick the motherboard into thinking you have a 133 FSB chip. IIRC, this is possible using a pin-mod or pin-cover trick.

No matter what method, you will require additional voltage (and along with that comes cooling) to run this chip that high. Most won't go that far, but some have succeeded in hitting the 1.7 GHz mark.
See the CPU database at Overclockers.com right here.

You were saying that you had PCI bus errors? Could you list exactly what hardware you have in this system, so we can pinpoint the problem? For example, some hard disk drives don't like the increased bus speed, but this can be resolved by running at a lower DMA level (such as UDMA 66 rather than UDMA 133 or 100), even without lowering the overall performance of the hard drivee.

Anyhow, good luck with your overclocking adventures, and maybe some new ideas will come forth once there's a good idea of what hardware you are using. ;)

zvezdjuck 30th October, 2003 07:42 AM

All the hardware is:
Celeron 1.3GHz CPU, EPoX EP-3PTA (i815EPB) motherboard, 256MB PC133 memory module, IBM IC35L040AVER07-0 (40GB) HDD, 64MB Prolink GeForce4Ti 4200 with AGP8X, NEC DV-5800A DVD-ROM. Nothing more special.
I use internal AC97 codec which fails to work at FSB of 111MHz or higher. At FSB of 113MHz there appear some file system errors. Motherboard allows to raise core voltage to 1.7V, but that doesn't affect overclocking. 1.5G is the limit, I could reach, no matter of voltage. I could even decrease it to 1.4V. CPU works flawlessly, while PCI does not.
In BIOS setup FSB can be set to 132MHz maximum, but with jumpers it can be set up directly to 133MHz CPU/Memory.
Probably, my computer case is not very suitable for such an overclocking. It's minitower, where CPU is surrounded with pretty warm (or maybe hot) power supply and videocard. The temperature is always near 43C with Titan TTC-D5T cooler no matter of load.

CamoAlien 30th October, 2003 09:22 AM

I have the same hard disk as you do (IBM Deathstar 60GXP 40Gigabyte).

My experience has been that they do not tolerate FSB speeds much (if at all) above 115 FSB. That works out to a PCI bus speed of 38.33 MHz. You get Windows Protection Errors or data corruption if you try to go higher.

As I'm sure you know, cooling is very important when overclocking. 43 degrees C isn't bad at all though. If it gets above 55 C it might start to cause problems, and 65 C would be far too high if it ever got that far.

If you aren't bumping the voltage much, it wouldn't hurt to set the jumper to 133 and see what happens. Who knows, maybe it'll work? I've never heard of a CPU burning out without either bumping the voltage way up or by having far too inadequate cooling. On these Tualatin Celerons, I have even heard of people using upwards of 1.75 to 1.8 volts - just don't do it in a low-airflow case. ;)