AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Intel Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/5-intel-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   Considering jumping ship....... (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/intel-motherboards-and-cpus/27580-considering-jumping-ship.html)

Lazgoat 26th October, 2004 09:54 PM

Considering jumping ship.......

....just considering the options of jumping onto the Intel bandwagon and need some advice on whether its worth it (vs A64)and if so what to get, motherboard and CPU?
Obviously I'm going to be overclocking so keep that in mind :)

Laz

RussianMissile1 26th October, 2004 10:29 PM

i think that if you have the means to get a large OC by high-end water or better cooling, go ahead and jump. i know i would (if i had a prommie)

Pitch 26th October, 2004 11:54 PM

I'm seeing alot of members jumping over to Intel. What's changed everyones mind?

DimViesel 27th October, 2004 12:59 AM

Perhaps the diminished OC potential of the latest generation of Athlon 64 chips? In particular when you take into account their comparatively higher price to the previous XP line.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitch
I miss my Mogwai...

I miss your mogwai too. :(

Pitch 27th October, 2004 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DimViesel

Who doesn't?

SteveI 27th October, 2004 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitch
I'm seeing alot of members jumping over to Intel. What's changed everyones mind?

Boredom.
In all honesty, if I were to make a comparison, a 2.5ghz barton outperforms a 3.7ghz P4. Given the higher cost of a P4, I personally think it is a waste of $$$. Even taking into account dual channel and HT, I still think the barton is a better CPU. I have 3 P4's now, and have gone through a dozen AXP's, and dollar for dollar, AMD is better. I haven't tried an A64 yet, but fully expect at least a slight boost, keeping the bang for the buck edge.

This holds true for gaming, folding, and video encoding, which are my high end CPU tasks. Just one opinion.

Pitch 27th October, 2004 01:48 AM

IMO, I never found the Barton comparable to a P4, and yes I have used both. I agree, they are alot cheaper, but I never found them comparable. I find the A64's far more comparable.

But this is just my opinion.

DimViesel 27th October, 2004 03:10 AM

I would not have imagined either of you to be biased to either camp & yet there is a difference of opinion. What is a guy to conclude?
Do I buy a Barton or a P4... thankfully (unfortunately/sadly?) my bank balance takes the decision away from me :( - things can only get better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI
... if I were to make a comparison, a 2.5ghz barton outperforms a 3.7ghz P4

Ah. Some thoughts:
Is that a Barton which is Oc'd to 2.5GHz or the Barton chip which runs 'natively' @ 2.5GHz run at its 'stock rating' or are we talking of a 2.5GHz Barton Oc'd to an average level of potential put up against a non-Oc'd or Oc'd P4 3.7GHz (!? :confused: )

Logan 27th October, 2004 03:20 AM

I have found my Barton to be much better for gaming than any Intel chip I've experienced...but I have to admit I just love fiddling with the Intels. It feels kinda taboo in a way. The LGA775 has gotten my curiousity going I have to admit...

SteveI 27th October, 2004 03:41 AM

The fastest barton is only 2.2ghz stock.
The 2.5B v. 3.7P4 is really my best guess at max reasonable overclocks from decent chips. The P4 has far more bandwidth and HT which give it somewhat of an edge. However, these are guesses based on my real life experience comparing a barton@ 2.3ghz and P4 NW HT @ 3.2ghz.

For video encoding, the P4 was 20% slower. For folding, running a single instance makes the Barton much faster. When running 2 instances, the P4 is able to score a bit more. Gaming wise, 3dmark2001 speaks volumes... P4 9000, Barton 11000! Also, I've noticed I can crank up the settings quite a bit more for certain games with the barton. Just my experience. I still think that the P4 core is a hollowed out core, enabling it to run higher clocks, but at a significant cost (in terms of performance). Intel's marketers sponsored the P4... I'm glad their engineers will lead the way with the upcoming cores.

alexkerhead 27th October, 2004 04:30 AM

fe fi fum, do I smell the blood of an AMD fanboy?

Gizmo 27th October, 2004 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DimViesel

But fellas, I'm right here! LOL :rolling:

Allan 27th October, 2004 08:47 AM

I gotta say, my new A64 does seem a bit faster than the Barton. I don't have a P4 to compare with though, but I'm not likely to go the Intel route for a long time. Not that I dislike Intel, but simply because AMD has more bang-for-the-buck.

If I were you, I'd look into the A64 options.

Logan 27th October, 2004 02:06 PM

I'm waiting a little bit for the better boards and then I'm going to try to go the A64 route. When I get my 64 machine up and going I've decided, however, that I am definately going to try out one of the new Intel sockets. The "fingers" thing just looks and sounds too cool to not give a whirl. Lol.

Lazgoat 27th October, 2004 05:52 PM

Hmmm....I did say I was only "considering" jumping ship. I've never had (guess I've owned a few :)) a P4. If my 2.4Ghz Barton will keep a 3.5Ghz P4 at bay then there really isn't much point chaning CPU. Just curious....

Laz.

Daniel ~ 27th October, 2004 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexkerhead

If you smell fanboy, then look real close to home.

This is an unacceptable post! Steve gave clear and compelling evidence for his "Personal" point of view.

He offered his views as being his and his alone.

You have only offered your "Brand Loyalty" and childish criticism of those who don't share it.

Argue points, skip the name calling.

Logan 27th October, 2004 06:58 PM

I was only upset that the giant was misquoted.

It was "fee fi FO fum"

Daniel ~ 27th October, 2004 10:14 PM

Yeah! That Too! ":O}

SteveI 28th October, 2004 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexkerhead

Not at all... I've been building Intel rigs since the 286. The very first amd box I built was a Thunderbird 1ghz, when the 1400 was already out. I jumped in very late. My experience is just that, my experience. I have 3 P4's and 4 AXP systems ATM. I'll be down grading soon, but I just don't see the value in Intel right now. It is always a cost/performance equation for me.

Razorfish 28th October, 2004 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI
It is always a cost/performance equation for me.

Here, here. well said! :thumbsup: