AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Intel Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/5-intel-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   Abit, Asus, MSI, or EPoX? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/intel-motherboards-and-cpus/28135-abit-asus-msi-or-epox.html)

mookydooky 30th November, 2004 09:23 PM

Abit, Asus, MSI, or EPoX?

I gonna get a 915P board. Which one should I get? Any recommendations? I'm looking at the following:

Asus P5GD1
Abit AG8
EPoX 5EPA
MSI Neo2 Platinum

I'm willing to consider other brands, but these are the one's I'm familiar with.

cloasters 1st December, 2004 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookydooky
I gonna get a 915P board. Which one should I get? Any recommendations? I'm looking at the following:

Asus P5GD1
Abit AG8
EPoX 5EPA
MSI Neo2 Platinum

I'm willing to consider other brands, but these are the one's I'm familiar with.

The ECS 915P-A has some backward-compatible features that make the jump to Socket LGA 775 less expensive. You can use DDR as well as DDR2 modules and a regular AGP card. You're still stuck with PCI Express, and not many slots---it's always sumpthin.'

I don't know if this mobo is OC-able.

As you are a man of refinement and taste, I just mention this mainboard for information.
I've had three or four ECS AMD mainboards and liked every one of them.

I read that the I915 LGA 775 chipset gives one no performance benefit over current I865 based rigs. It's an expensive upgrade(needs DDR2, PCI Express cards, and the new form factor Video card--except for ECS's I915) that's for show, but not go.

mookydooky 1st December, 2004 05:30 PM

PCI-E video cards are cheaper than their AGP brethren. That's the main reason to go to 915P over a i865/i875. Also Socket T CPU's OC better. I've had ECS boards too and I liked them, but I would like a board with some OC features. I'd like to see if a Prescott can go to 4.0Ghz.

woodeirl 2nd December, 2004 12:07 PM

yes buddy im sure you can get the prescotts over 4 ghz as ive seen someone here doing it , i have a 3.2 running at 3850 and im sure i can get the 4100 if i have better ram, im only using pc 200mhz and a asus mb

XeroHouR 2nd December, 2004 05:18 PM

mine does...at near 1.6v...maybe with more relaxed other things I could bring it back to 1.55, with better cooling I'm sure that this thing could go way further as I just can't keep it cool enough to make it stable at higher clocks.

Smolika 4th December, 2004 08:55 PM

MSI have 915P board out called a "combo" which offers DDR and DDR2, but the ECS 915P is the only one so far with AGP as well as PCI-Express and btw I have this board and it is OCable but only where FSB is concerned. You can't increase the voltage which does dampen things a bit but I did manage to get my 2.8Ghz LGA up to 3.23Ghz on the ECS board, not bad I think.

woodeirl 4th December, 2004 10:03 PM

yeh that is a good overclock, i heard the LGA chips are better to overclock would this be true?

Smolika 5th December, 2004 08:40 AM

Definitely alot better than than the 478 prescotts as there is more headroom voltage-wise: vcore is around 1.3. Too bad I don't have a board that can take advantage of this. Not very many good coolers around for LGA775 though, you'll have to stick with the stock HSF for the meantime.

mookydooky 5th December, 2004 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smolika
Not very many good coolers around for LGA775 though, you'll have to stick with the stock HSF for the meantime.

If you're looking for a high end cooler, take a look at the 92mm Zalman Flower or it's bigger brother, the 120mm Zalman Flower.

cloasters 13th December, 2004 09:00 PM

Did you choose an I915 LGA 775 mainboard for yourself, mookster?

mookydooky 14th December, 2004 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloasters
Did you choose an I915 LGA 775 mainboard for yourself, mookster?

Nope. Getting a monitor instead.

chrisbard 14th December, 2004 10:21 AM

Quote:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :thumbsup:

cloasters 14th December, 2004 04:03 PM

Quote:

I know how that goes! If only I could afford that giant ~20" Dell LCD monitor. Pixel refresh rate that's good enough for gaming. Oh, well.

cloasters 14th December, 2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :thumbsup:

If you are not too busy, can you tell us a little about living in Romania, chrisbard? Many Americans couldn't find it on a map.

mookydooky 15th December, 2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloasters
If you are not too busy, can you tell us a little about living in Romania, chrisbard? Many Americans couldn't find it on a map.

I found it on the map...it took me 10 minutes, but I found it... J/K ;)

cloasters 15th December, 2004 01:13 AM

Wait a minute... there's a Rumania on my map, but no Romania. JK! Most modern maps spell it Romania.

Gizmo 15th December, 2004 05:11 AM

Funny, my map shows Wallachia, Moldavia, and Transylvania where Romania should be. :rolling:

cloasters 15th December, 2004 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmo
Funny, my map shows Wallachia, Moldavia, and Transylvania where Romania should be. :rolling:

What? Maybe I'll get un-lazy and have a look at my National Geog. maps on CD.

Gizmo 15th December, 2004 04:29 PM

I believe that was the layout of the region while it was still under the rule of the Turks and the Ottoman Empire, circa 1850 or so?

chrisbard 15th December, 2004 09:05 PM

I'll give you the details guys, just not right now. LOL