AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd September, 2009, 04:29 PM
AOA Staff

Torvalds says that Linux is the new Windows

See front page:
AOA - Torvalds says that Linux is the new Windows

Comments?
Old 23rd September, 2009, 05:04 PM
Steve Jobs

Where is the option in vBulletin to lock a thread, such that it is not possible to post if your username ends in... say "hrisbard"

brb reading manual...
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September, 2009, 05:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Careful Chris it's a trap!!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September, 2009, 05:59 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Windows = uberbloat, Linux=mass bloat... Long live Haiku!
Old 24th September, 2009, 09:41 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Exactly what I was saying. All of those windows haters can take a good look at linucs while I am laughing my ass off !!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 24th September, 2009, 04:17 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

No one has ever said that there isn't a certain amount of "hobbyist" approach to running Linux. Just that even out of the box, even with the bloat that Linus is citing, it doesn't have many of the shortcomings that Windows has had (in the past, at least).

At the end of the day, with some labor of love, a user with some savvy can strip out of any Linux distro what he doesn't want or need-making it slimmer, faster, and more efficient.

Can the same user have the flexibilty to do that with Windows?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 24th September, 2009, 04:28 PM
Steve Jobs

yea, its called Win3.11
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 24th September, 2009, 06:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Exactly what I was saying. All of those windows haters can take a good look at linucs while I am laughing my ass off !!!
I warned you it was a trap Chris! How many lines of code in a (Bloated) Linux desktop? How many in ANY windows desktop? Still laughing Chris? I am! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 25th September, 2009, 08:44 AM
Benchmarker

It takes time for things to "evolve" Dan. When linucs didn't even exist windows was made to be customized. Services turned off and all kinds of stripping tehniques are available RD. I saw on ubuntu on my pc back in april when I was still at home that after installing this app and that app and stuff it was moving worse than windows. Not to mention precious errors and ****. You guys may say this and that about linucs and the free **** but when you hit a wall with linucs no safety belt will save you. Not to mention that is almost useless for upcoming games. So if you are in an office working on some documents linucs might be wot you looking for as long as next to you you have a linucs geek. But if you have windows you can even phone a friend and he'll sort you out without even beeing next to ya. for Windows. While windows is a well maintained Mercedes linucs looks more like a Skoda ! A Skoda, get it?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 25th September, 2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 25th September, 2009, 10:59 AM

I had a phone call from a friend yesterday. Their Windows is dead in the water after they installed an application designed to allow them to view some documents they needed to view for their degree course.

It didn't die until it came to the next boot. Now it just reboot itself near the end of the boot process. Sadly it does this in safe mode too. They will be dropping off the computer in the next couple of days, so that I can untangle it. So much for phoning a friend to sort you out.
Old 25th September, 2009, 11:27 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
It takes time for things to "evolve" Dan. When linucs didn't even exist windows was made to be customized. Services turned off and all kinds of stripping tehniques are available RD. I saw on ubuntu on my pc back in april when I was still at home that after installing this app and that app and stuff it was moving worse than windows. Not to mention precious errors and ****. You guys may say this and that about linucs and the free **** but when you hit a wall with linucs no safety belt will save you. Not to mention that is almost useless for upcoming games. So if you are in an office working on some documents linucs might be wot you looking for as long as next to you you have a linucs geek. But if you have windows you can even phone a friend and he'll sort you out without even beeing next to ya. for Windows. While windows is a well maintained Mercedes linucs looks more like a Skoda ! A Skoda, get it?
Does Microsoft send you your money in a brown paper bag, a cloth sack with a $ sign on the front of it, or in a yellow envelope wrapped in a newspaper?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 25th September, 2009, 04:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Does Microsoft send you your money in a brown paper bag, a cloth sack with a $ sign on the front of it, or in a yellow envelope wrapped in a newspaper?
Dude! This is the 21st Century! He gets it deposited into his Swiss bank accounts.

However, he does have to keep his master happy; he has a quota to meet each month or he gets visited by a guy named 'Vinny'....

Last edited by Gizmo; 25th September, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 25th September, 2009, 04:55 PM
Benchmarker

Exclamation

Ahhhh damn it I think I managed to get myself heard in a room full of linucs worshipers !

Chris does a fake bow while grabbing Chris by his linucs anckle and starts spinning him around faster and faster knocking the whole bunch of linucs geeks to the ground. While he walks towards the exit with head held high the old man enters the room and is trying to catch his breath at the horrific scene seeing all his little linucs dolls in the faceplant position. I walk next to him and as I leave I whisper "Windows will prevail !!!"

Old 25th September, 2009, 05:01 PM

Or perhaps a room with people that keep being asked to sort out other people's Windows computers that won't boot?

Last edited by Áedán; 25th September, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 25th September, 2009, 05:05 PM
Steve Jobs

The not boot one isn't the problem I usually hear, its typically "my computer takes 20 minutes to boot, and is so slow that opening internet explorer takes 5 minutes".

Which usually means "I have Norton security suite installed".
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 25th September, 2009, 05:09 PM
Steve Jobs

Oh, and the "Websites only fill about 5cm of my 24" monitor".

Which means "I use internet explorer, and have the Ask Jeeves toolbar, google toolbar, dictionary.com toolbar, pirate bay toolbar, myspace toolbar, alexa toolbar, canon printer toolbar, epson scanner toolbar, language translation toolbar, and toolbar management toolbar installed on my computer, and as a result they take up the top 12 inches of my IE window leaving no space for actual web pages".
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 25th September, 2009, 05:14 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
The not boot one isn't the problem I usually hear, its typically "my computer takes 20 minutes to boot, and is so slow that opening internet explorer takes 5 minutes".

Which usually means "I have Norton security suite installed".
Ahh...Norton.

Whatever happened to the real Peter Norton stuff of 15+ yrs ago? It was cutting edge, but an outfit named Symantec showed him the $$...
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 25th September, 2009, 05:15 PM
AOA Staff

Presumably many people don't really read what's on the screen when installing software, and so don't uncheck "install xyz toolbar".
Old 25th September, 2009, 06:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
It takes time for things to "evolve" Dan.
And we recognize this for the cry for help that it is Chris!! We want to see you evolve, we want to see you grow beyond your fears and misconceptions!

Which is why it's a Shame you didn't come here for help.... You've hurt a lot of feelings by not coming to us for help you so desperately need!
Chris we understand this is difficult for you. But you have to stop retreating into fantasy when ever one of your Windows delusions isare challenged or we will never be able to help you. This is only going to get worse! Each new Windows gets only gets worse.

Now be honest when you had a problem who did you ask for help? You just stubbed your toe on "This isn't the Windows crap I'm use to" and retreated back into "The hell you know" rather than seeking to remain in the light....
You have a penguin man!! USE HIM!!

You have friends here! Didn't I warn you it was a trap? Seeing your vulnerability Dsio begged that you not be allowed to humiliate yourself by posting in this thread. My fault! I thought my warning would be enough to spare you this!
Especially as Aedan in Zen like manner sought to bring you to enlightenment with a stunning insight! "Windows = uberbloat, Linux=mass bloat..." How was it possible for you not see! This line is a veritable windshield wiper for you Windows blindness! Linux need not be prefect to beat hell out of the Arcane and degenerate code you cling to!

Yet your mental state prevented you from entering into Linux Satori!

Having said all this...I want to assure you we will not abandon you to your self imposed ignorance...we, not Bill, are your true friends... when you come to us we don't ask for money!!

Sooooo.....how many lines of code did you say that was? LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 28th September, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 28th September, 2009, 09:35 AM
Benchmarker

Man I had some issues with my windows vista system. Yeah mainly because I don't know how to use it. But a friend told me linux is better.

And?

Well it installed just fine but:

1. mouse is not working
2. printer not recognised and no linux drivers available
3. lcd not recognised as plugandplay running at 800x600
4. network card recognised (wrong chip) no lan no internet available

does this sound familiar to you linucs worshipers?

Last edited by chrisbard; 28th September, 2009 at 09:36 AM.