AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th November, 2009, 07:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I know... but old friends are hard to let go of! I only boot Fedora to (try) to keep her up to date. Seems Beautiful Ferdora has given herself ugly lessons! ":O}

Mint is far more to my liking these days... 5.1 sound, video drivers, flash, all on auto pilot...what's not to like...I mean if your not ChrisBard? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th November, 2009, 12:04 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Yeah wow 5.1, video drivers, flash...auto pilot (whatever that is ) well beside autopilot windows had all that eversince I was a kid, well maybe I exagerated a little, but close !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th November, 2009, 06:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Actually it didn't and still doesn't and you paid for it in (OH! So many ways.) Look how narrow it's made you concept of computing! "Auto Pilot" means that they install themselves automatically..it just works... Now I realize that from time to time "Whim dozs" does actually work... sort of... But when it doesn't your stuck with it until Whim Doze Fixes it...or your just stuck with it...For-eve-er!

When Fedora doesn't please me I can go to Ubuntu when Unbuntu doesn't I move to Mint If Mint screws up I have a dozen recommendations I've been meaning to try...

It's not perfect but then It doesn't claim to be and doesn't charge like God left it in charge of the world... Linux has never cheated a bunch of kids out of their donated computers because they were to poor to buy a Whim Doze lic. And call Bill to beg him to let them use it...as you must.

Now I do realize that a moral conviction is something yet to be born in most of my fellows... Yet I have faith that one day you will realize that the money you spend on MS products is the smallest price you must pay...to use them.

Perhaps you will also come to understand that the children of this world need you to stand up to Bill for them as they can't make it here alone... thanks in no small part to Bill's endless greed.

Linux reaches out in love to them and GIVES freely every thing it's got... Windose takes and only gives to those who have money.

I've used whim doze for many more years than you. I watched as MS lost any resemblance to a human solution

You've said on several occasions that because I once used Whim doze that I'm now ungrateful..because I despise the way they treat people ( what a laughable concept!)

Try this FANBOY! Try calling MS and telling them how long youve sucked up to them and how mindlessly loyal you've been! Then tell them you have fallen on hard times and would appreciate them giving you a copy for old times sake...

In this life you NEED to know who your friends are, who will come to your aid when you need them... Try and when they laugh at your poverty, when they sue you for needing what your to poor to pay for

Come back here and we can discuss weather you should become a thief and steal what you can't afford or weather it's better to find countless new friends who give you their very best work simply because you need them to...

My question is this...Will you engage me and my argument in a serious manner or will you run away and hide from the full implications of your choice ?

The children of this world will feel your answer which ever way you go...

We are in this world, though we didn't make it. If one lives under a terrible tyrant one must live with it, one has no choice. But one need not praise him for his tyranny! One need not pretend he is good nor just.... food for thought for those who feel the need to think about their actions and the attendant consequences of those actions... for those who care for others and want them to have a decent life more free than the life we were given...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th November, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 7th November, 2009, 06:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
The best thing to do is to have Dan install the RPMFusion repo, and let it install and update his nVidia drivers automagically.

Dan, you need to click on the links below, in order, while running Firefox. Once you clicked on the link Firefox will ask you how to Open the file. Here you can simply use the default and open the file with the default application 'Package Installer'. Then Firefox will call Package Kit, which asks Do you want to install this file ?. Click OK to begin install; Package Kit then will complain about a Missing security signature; once you tell Package Kit to install the package nevertheless it will move on and install it. That's all.

you need to click on this link first: http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...ble.noarch.rpm

And this link second: http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...ble.noarch.rpm

After that, go to your terminal, su to root and then type:

yum install kmod-nvidia

That should pull in the latest 185.18.36 nvidia drivers for your kernel.
I dumped Fedora and did a Fedora 11 re-install to see what I'd get (I still enjoy installing Distros from time to time and HEY! It's Saturday! ":O}

Let you know how it turned out once I re-boot...":O}

[Daniel@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost Daniel]#
[root@localhost Daniel]# yum install kmod-nvidia
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
rpmfusion-nonfree | 3.3 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree/primary_db | 79 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates | 3.8 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates/primary_db | 98 kB 00:00
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kmod-nvidia.x86_64 0:190.42-1.fc11.1 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: kmod-nvidia-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.x86_64 >= 190.42-1.fc11.1 for package: kmod-nvidia-190.42-1.fc11.1.x86_64
---> Package kmod-nvidia-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.x86_64.x86_64 0:190.42-1.fc11.1 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: nvidia-kmod-common >= 190.42 for package: kmod-nvidia-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.x86_64-190.42-1.fc11.1.x86_64
---> Package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.x86_64 0:190.42-1.fc11 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-x86_64 = 190.42-1.fc11 for package: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-190.42-1.fc11.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: livna-config-display >= 0.0.21 for package: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-190.42-1.fc11.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: livna-config-display for package: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-190.42-1.fc11.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: livna-config-display for package: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-190.42-1.fc11.x86_64
---> Package livna-config-display.noarch 0:0.0.23-1.fc11 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: system-config-display for package: livna-config-display-0.0.23-1.fc11.noarch
---> Package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64 0:190.42-1.fc11 set to be updated
---> Package system-config-display.noarch 0:1.1.3-2.fc11 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: rhpxl >= 0.34-1 for package: system-config-display-1.1.3-2.fc11.noarch
---> Package rhpxl.x86_64 0:1.12-2.fc11 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ==============================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================== ==============================
Installing:
kmod-nvidia x86_64 190.42-1.fc11.1 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates 28 k
Installing for dependencies:
kmod-nvidia-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.x86_64
x86_64 190.42-1.fc11.1 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates 3.0 M
livna-config-display noarch 0.0.23-1.fc11 rpmfusion-nonfree 67 k
rhpxl x86_64 1.12-2.fc11 fedora 96 k
system-config-display noarch 1.1.3-2.fc11 fedora 196 k
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia x86_64 190.42-1.fc11 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates 3.4 M
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs
x86_64 190.42-1.fc11 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates 7.7 M

Transaction Summary
Install 7 Package(s)
Upgrade 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 15 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/7): kmod-nvidia-190.42-1.fc11.1.x86_64.rpm | 28 kB 00:00
(2/7): kmod-nvidia-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.x86_64-190.42-1.fc11 | 3.0 MB 00:04
(3/7): livna-config-display-0.0.23-1.fc11.noarch.rpm | 67 kB 00:00
(4/7): rhpxl-1.12-2.fc11.x86_64.rpm | 96 kB 00:00
(5/7): system-config-display-1.1.3-2.fc11.noarch.rpm | 196 kB 00:00
(6/7): xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-190.42-1.fc11.x86_64.rpm | 3.4 MB 00:04
(7/7): xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-190.42-1.fc11.x86_64.rpm | 7.7 MB 00:11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 633 kB/s | 15 MB 00:23
warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 signature: NOKEY, key ID 8dc43844
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates/gpgkey | 1.7 kB 00:00
Importing GPG key 0x8DC43844 "RPM Fusion nonfree repository for Fedora (11) <rpmfusion-buildsys@lists.rpmfusion.org>" from /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-nonfree-fedora-11-x86_64
warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 signature: NOKEY, key ID d22e77f2
fedora/gpgkey | 1.6 kB 00:00
Importing GPG key 0xD22E77F2 "Fedora (11) <fedora@fedoraproject.org>" from /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-x86_64
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Installing : rhpxl-1.12-2.fc11.x86_64 1/7
Installing : system-config-display-1.1.3-2.fc11.noarch 2/7
Installing : livna-config-display-0.0.23-1.fc11.noarch 3/7
Installing : xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-190.42-1.fc11.x86_64 4/7
Installing : kmod-nvidia-190.42-1.fc11.1.x86_64 5/7
Installing : xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-190.42-1.fc11.x86_64 6/7
Installing : kmod-nvidia-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.x86_64-190.42-1.fc11.1.x8 7/7

Installed:
kmod-nvidia.x86_64 0:190.42-1.fc11.1

Dependency Installed:
kmod-nvidia-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.x86_64.x86_64 0:190.42-1.fc11.1
livna-config-display.noarch 0:0.0.23-1.fc11
rhpxl.x86_64 0:1.12-2.fc11
system-config-display.noarch 0:1.1.3-2.fc11
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.x86_64 0:190.42-1.fc11
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64 0:190.42-1.fc11

Complete!
[root@localhost Daniel]#
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th November, 2009, 06:29 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Looks OK from here (see pic) but I can't use Alien Arena (See pic) ":O}
The second picture is a fair indicator that the upgrade was incomplete.

It sometimes happens with the universal installers for both fglrx and nv that they don't properly compile the glx core, with the result that you get a mismatch between the 2D driver and the 3D glx extension. If the two parts don't match, the 3D extension fails to load so you get a 2D-only display.

Common causes:
i) missing or out of date kernel headers
ii) /usr/src/linux points to a kernel source version different than your running kernel (my most common mistake).

To fix each in turn:
i) update/install kernel headers, which shouldn't be an issue with Fedora.
ii) check that your kernel version matches your source version:
Quote:
kaitain@jumpgate ~ $ uname -r
2.6.31-gentoo
kaitain@jumpgate ~ $ ls -l /usr/src
total 8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-09-21 20:58 linux -> linux-2.6.31-gentoo
If the output of uname -r matches everything after the linux- in the last bit of the symlink's output, then all's good there. If not, you should remake your symlink. If you don't have your current kernel's sources, then you'll always run into trouble with the nv installer.

iii) Mandrake (as was) used to have a bad habit of breaking the integrity of kernel headers, modules, libraries and kernel source, so that they were all on different versions at the same time. This was easily fixed thus:

As root, copy and paste this into the console, then come back after an hour:
Code:
if [ -a /proc/config.gz ]; then cd /usr/src/linux; make mrproper; zcat /proc/config.gz >>.config; make oldconfig && make modules; fi
This remakes your existing kernel leaving all the right headers and temporary files in all the right places, but does not install or overwrite anything. A small tweak makes it install the modules, if you have a really awkward system.

(note, I've not actually tested the shell script.)
(note 2: for chrisbard's benefit, it wasn't all that long ago that these forums were chock full of posts from unhappy windows users with ati graphics cards, who discovered that upgrading their catalyst drivers without first using a "catalyst killer" rendered their system unusable.)

Last edited by Kaitain; 7th November, 2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 7th November, 2009, 07:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yep! that worked! ":O} But I can't figure out how to take a game pic so Chris will have to take my word for it! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th November, 2009, 08:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
The second picture is a fair indicator that the upgrade was incomplete.

It sometimes happens with the universal installers for both fglrx and nv that they don't properly compile the glx core, with the result that you get a mismatch between the 2D driver and the 3D glx extension. If the two parts don't match, the 3D extension fails to load so you get a 2D-only display.

Common causes:
i) missing or out of date kernel headers
ii) /usr/src/linux points to a kernel source version different than your running kernel (my most common mistake).

To fix each in turn:
i) update/install kernel headers, which shouldn't be an issue with Fedora.
ii) check that your kernel version matches your source version:

If the output of uname -r matches everything after the linux- in the last bit of the symlink's output, then all's good there. If not, you should remake your symlink. If you don't have your current kernel's sources, then you'll always run into trouble with the nv installer.

iii) Mandrake (as was) used to have a bad habit of breaking the integrity of kernel headers, modules, libraries and kernel source, so that they were all on different versions at the same time. This was easily fixed thus:

As root, copy and paste this into the console, then come back after an hour:
Code:
if [ -a /proc/config.gz ]; then cd /usr/src/linux; make mrproper; zcat /proc/config.gz >>.config; make oldconfig && make modules; fi
This remakes your existing kernel leaving all the right headers and temporary files in all the right places, but does not install or overwrite anything. A small tweak makes it install the modules, if you have a really awkward system.

(note, I've not actually tested the shell script.)
(note 2: for chrisbard's benefit, it wasn't all that long ago that these forums were chock full of posts from unhappy windows users with ati graphics cards, who discovered that upgrading their catalyst drivers without first using a "catalyst killer" rendered their system unusable.)
I've bookmarked this thread for future ref...Thanks K!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 10th November, 2009, 01:54 PM
Benchmarker

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
And why is this Microsoft's fault? I blame the ati software team for poor drivers and a lot of other **** they are well known for over the years! Thats why now I am an Nvidia fan even if I admit that ATI do build some awesome cards !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 10th November, 2009, 01:55 PM
Benchmarker

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Yep! that worked! ":O} But I can't figure out how to take a game pic so Chris will have to take my word for it! LOL
I trust you Daniel but what is the game's name, Solitare?

Old 10th November, 2009, 01:57 PM
Steve Jobs

Also, nvidia drivers on windows must be removed by drivercleaner to prevent issues.

Its not an isolated occurance.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 10th November, 2009, 02:02 PM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Also, nvidia drivers on windows must be removed by drivercleaner to prevent issues.

Its not an isolated occurance.
I havent done this in years. I kept installing the new ones on top of the old ones. Didn't even removed them from ctrl panel. And it worked everytime!

Old 10th November, 2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
And why is this Microsoft's fault?
The argument works both ways. It's not Linux's fault that neither ATi nor nVidia can be bothered to write their installation script properly.

A few extra lines in ATi's script would allow it to determine what kernel is presently running, and select the source directory appropriately. A little more cleverness would allow you to build for a new kernel in advance or have modules for several kernels installed simultaneously (*note, I think this is possible anyway by forcing "depmod -a" at boot time but I haven't tested it as it takes about 5 seconds).

A few fewer lines in nVidia's script would avoid the annoying pain of having to shut down X prior to building the driver, which is a horrible anachronism. There's no reason to modprobe the new module the moment it's compiled. Having run depmod, the new driver will be called next time a new X session is started anyway.

Last edited by Kaitain; 10th November, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10th November, 2009, 07:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
I trust you Daniel but what is the game's name, Solitare?
Alien Arena...it's a simple Quake2 and Quake3 based game I use for testing as I no long can afford to play PC games... but any Linux based game will do...

Seems to me you pretty much need a new Video card every time MS "updates" I use a three year old PS3 that remains current what ever I'm doing on my PC...try it you might like it and you would certainly save money...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 10th November, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 20th November, 2009, 09:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
The best thing to do is to have Dan install the RPMFusion repo, and let it install and update his nVidia drivers automagically.

Dan, you need to click on the links below, in order, while running Firefox. Once you clicked on the link Firefox will ask you how to Open the file. Here you can simply use the default and open the file with the default application 'Package Installer'. Then Firefox will call Package Kit, which asks Do you want to install this file ?. Click OK to begin install; Package Kit then will complain about a Missing security signature; once you tell Package Kit to install the package nevertheless it will move on and install it. That's all.

you need to click on this link first: http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...ble.noarch.rpm

And this link second: http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...ble.noarch.rpm

After that, go to your terminal, su to root and then type:

yum install kmod-nvidia

That should pull in the latest 185.18.36 nvidia drivers for your kernel.
OK...This time I'm trying to install this in Fedora 12

I followed these instructions, as last time, after I did a fresh install of Fedora 11, it worked like a champ! Both links installed with ease. Then I did the yum thing and got this:

[Daniel@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost Daniel]#
[root@localhost Daniel]# yum install kmod-nvidia
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
rpmfusion-nonfree | 3.3 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree/primary_db | 91 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates | 3.8 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates/primary_db | 1.1 kB 00:00
Setting up Install Process
No package kmod-nvidia available.
Nothing to do
[root@localhost Daniel]#

Help is much desired and would be much appreciated...

Daniel: keeping Fedora and our forums alive! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 20th November, 2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 20th November, 2009, 09:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

nVidia have not yet released a version of their drivers that works with the Xorg server that is used in F12, or so I'm told.....

For now you'll have to continue using the nouveau drivers, which you've already got installed.
Old 20th November, 2009, 10:36 PM

I've got the same problem with the ATi catalyst 9.10 drivers and xorg-server-1.7.1 at the moment. Guess we'll both have to wait...
Old 20th November, 2009, 11:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Trouble is...Doesn't seem like Fedora is offering it's 3D solution either!
Attached Thumbnails
I need help installing Nvidia driver in Fedora 11 64 bit please-screenshot.png  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 21st November, 2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 21st November, 2009, 12:15 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I gather that the nouveau driver's 3D support is not quite complete yet.
Old 21st November, 2009, 01:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Why did you put it up for download if it isn't ready!!! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st November, 2009, 05:50 AM

Which version of xorg-server is F12 using? I though it was 1.7.X. which I have working with nvidia drivers 190.42.

Code:
 X -version

Tags
driver , fedora 12 , install , linux , nvidia