AOA AOA AOA Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH! > Linux

Linux Gaming Support on Our Favorite Free Platform

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th July, 2012, 03:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Minecraft on Fedora 17

So, my kids' computer is a Fedora 17 installation, and my youngest son (12) has been after me to get some of the games he'd like to play working. In particular, he wants to be able to play Minecraft.

"Well," says I, "minecraft is a java game, so that shoudln't be too difficult."

Famous last words, LOL.

Download the minecraft .jar, do the install stuff like they say, get a black screen. Turns out we are using the OpenJDK. Having had bad experiences with the OpenJDK before, I download and install the Sun JRE. Same story. After much mucking about, I finally give up for a time, as I've other things to work on.

He then decides that Wizard101 has taken his fancy. Now, Wizard101 is a Windows game (why? the game itself does not appear to be written in a windows-specific programming language), so I play about a bit with Wine, only to discover that getting it working properly in Wine requires a lot more mucking about than I really have time for.

However, CodeWeavers Crossover supports this game pretty well. "Fine, I'll get Crossover then". Download crossover, no luck. Send an email to Codeweavers, they respond with a link to a very helpful page that recommends installing a bunch of dependencies (basically, the problem boils down to installing some 32-bit libraries because we are on 64-bit Fedora. So, install the libraries.

Stilll no dice, but it might be related to the nVidia drivers. Reboot, recompile nVidia drivers, PRESTO.

My son is happy.

But now I'm thinking, maybe I was having something related to these libraries going on with Minecraft. Try Minecraft, still black screen, but now I'm actually getting some informative errors in the console. So I do some digging, and over on the Ubuntu site I find out that you need to export some libraries. So I make a BASH script that looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/java/jre1.7.0/lib/amd64"
/usr/java/jre1.7.0/bin/java minecraft.jar
Stick that script in the directory where I copied minecraft.jar and guess what? Wow, things work.

So, long story short, for 64-bit Linux with Minecraft, make sure you've got the 32-bit compatibility libs installed per the codeweaver page, and then make sure you are using sun java, and then make sure you are exporting the proper library path in java, and you should be golden. And make sure your nVidia drivers are in sync with the kernel version you are running (ether recompile if you are using the nVidia binaries directly, or update if you are using the rpmfusion packages).

[edit]Adding the library list here, just in case the link disappears or something:
Code:
yum install isdn4k-utils.i686 cups-libs.i686 dbus-libs.i686 fontconfig.i686 mesa-libGLU.i686 gnutls.i686 libgphoto2.i686 gsm.i686 libjpeg-turbo.i686 openldap.i686 lcms-libs.i686 libmpg123.i686 openal-soft.i686 libpng-compat.i686 sane-backends-libs.i686 libv4l.i686 libXcomposite.i686 libXcursor.i686 libXinerama.i686 libxml2.i686 libxslt.i686 openssl.i686
Many of these 32-bit libraries may already be installed on your 64-bit system due to other dependencies, but if they aren't ALL there, things probably won't work correctly.[/edit]

Last edited by Gizmo; 7th July, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th July, 2012, 06:49 PM
AOA Staff

Cool post, I originally used Fedora 16 64-bit and decided not to mess with the libraries and downgrade to 32-bit.
I tried running Drakensang in Wine and it actually runs pretty good. I posted in their forum my findings.
Drakensang Fedora 16
Otherwise, I have a small list of games that did work.
Quake Wars, Shadowgrounds, Osmos, Titan Quest, Lugaru, facebook games, and more
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
minecraft