AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd August, 2012, 07:17 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

How many devices do you need to install Mint12.9?

Lets see:

1. Daniel: ...one clever guy!
2. Booman: USB from another computer
3. Booman: flash drive
4. Booman: extra space on the flash drive
5. Booman: Super Computer
6. Booman: "install Mint" button

Installing Mint12.9 as you can all see is very easy and then we have the WHAT IF? section below!

1. Booman: I will see if the video drivers will install
2. Booman: Then come the games - ( which means playing tetris and Tetris 1D plus some old version of Mario2D )

And then comes the conclusion:

1. Booman: I will be here all night! (trying to sort out this mess and God forgive me if I forget and I accidentally update and then nothing will be working and I have to reinstall for the 1000x time!)
2. Booman: Its pretty sad that I have my doubts due to all the agony I have been through just to get it installed.
3. Booman: But tonight I'll log in and the first thing I'll click is the "magic driver button"
If and only if there are drivers ready to download , I'll be on my way to discover the Linux gaming machine.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 22nd August, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2012, 07:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You're a man of remarkable restraint!

I know the feeling I absolutely did not believe I'd ever get this new box to overclock....I sat in dumb disbelief when the it finely posted and showed up ready to play ball with me. it was two days before I stopped wondering if it would post every time I turned it on...

Dog handlers call this being head shy...it comes from idiots hitting dogs on the head for disobedience...They duck their heads when people come near... I was head shy!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2012, 07:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
How many devices do you need to install Mint12.9?

Lets see:

1. Daniel: ...one clever guy!
2. Booman: USB from another computer
3. Booman: flash drive
4. Booman: extra space on the flash drive
5. Booman: Super Computer
6. Booman: "install Mint" button

Installing Mint12.9 as you can all see is very easy and then we have the WHAT IF? section below!

1. Booman: I will see if the video drivers will install
2. Booman: Then come the games - ( which means playing tetris and Tetris 1D plus some old version of Mario2D )

And then comes the conclusion:

1. Booman: I will be here all night! (trying to sort out this mess and God forgive me if I forget and I accidentally update and then nothing will be working and I have to reinstall for the 1000x time!)
2. Booman: Its pretty sad that I have my doubts due to all the agony I have been through just to get it installed.
When you were very small, did some evil bad code abuse and take advantage of you, making you this way? Think back...there was a time before MS when the world seemed fresh and new to you...

When Boo's accomplishments would have been celebrated as a new and better way to install "our" OS.

But the years of MS abuse have embittered you and you now see only the possibility of failure...

Chris! Do not despair! Boo and I are engaged in the work of rescue! We are trying to liberate you and the millions of coppertops like you...

Do you really think MS OS is real, in this time and place...or that phycal streath has anything to do with it? oh wait...that's the Matrix....

Never mind...Were coming to save you Chris...May God help you!!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 22nd August, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 22nd August, 2012, 07:32 PM
AOA Staff

Come on Chris, where is the enthusiasm?
I'm excited because I'm actually doing something without Windows!
I know it seems like a pain-in-the-butt but my situation is very unique. I don't know why, but these Gigabyte motherboards and Mint aren't happy together. All of my other computers boot to Mint Live just fine. That is my long-term goal. Right now I want to see how games will install & run. Then I will create an easy way to install and get it running.

not to mention, I don't have to install network drivers, audio drivers, flash or Office. On every Windows machine I have worked on, those are almost a requirement every time I install XP.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial

Last edited by booman; 22nd August, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 22nd August, 2012, 07:40 PM
Benchmarker

Last time I tried linux it was years ago on my desktop (RIP) and I used Ubuntu and it kinda worked OK for browsing the web. It could also play some music on the onboard card since the main one had no support! And it was able to play some videos aswell! Was crashing now and then if too many apps were open at the same time but apart from that I was happy. I could even play some card games! Anyway the installation process was simple when compared to whatever you described above that made me chuckle. Anyway good luck and C U ingame when you buy yourself an Xbox
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 22nd August, 2012, 07:44 PM
AOA Staff

I agree... wait until you see my tutorial. Jumping through a LOT of hoops to get this to run.
That shouldn't be a necessity to get Linux running, but I'm stubborn and my goal is a simplified process in the end.
I bet if you tried Linux again, you'll see that there are still some frustrations depending on what you want to use it for... but installs on most older/newer computers without any problems and includes drivers for most hardware to support simple internet/media needs.
Gaming is always a different machine!
At least Mint has the flashplayer and Java plugins-preinstalled so you can play most online games.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 22nd August, 2012, 07:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well at lest those programs come free with MS Boo, right? They come free when you spend hundreds of dollars on the OS, MS makes sure your ready to go, Right Boo?

I mean there's reason Chris loves MS, that must be it! Maybe it's the free upgrades you get six months after you buy it...the upgrades are free aren't they Boo?

Help Me Boo, I'm trying to understand our friend Chris.

Ya know junkies say that you become addicted to the needle before you become addicted to the drug...

This must be so as All I've ever seen from MS is the needle...the drug never quite arrives...and the pain lingers on and on...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 22nd August, 2012, 08:01 PM
AOA Staff

If we are going to compare OS's we got to talk MAC too.
Windows is a mess to MAC users, but as you said Dan... cost puts things into perspective.
If you want no troubleshooting no frustration then pay several thousand dollars for a fancy MAC. When it has a problem, take it to the Apple store.
I don't have that kind of money!
But the side effect is that most MAC users don't know anything about their computer and how it runs. They mostly don't care because thats Apples job.

I've paid for Windows long enough. But in the process I have developed a patience and capacity to stubbornly search & trial-n-error all kinds of hardware/software. In a way, I owe it to Microsoft because now I can build or refurbish computers for almost free and then put an open source operating system on it so anyone can use it for internet, simple office tasks and some games.
I will probably always use Windows (in the future it will be virtualized through Linux) but I would love to never spend another dime for an operating system.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 22nd August, 2012, 08:02 PM
AOA Staff

I think Chris it taking a great opportunity to poke fun at us because we jump through all these hoops to do something Windows & MAC have out-of-the-box.
But they ain't got Free! (legally that is)
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 22nd August, 2012, 08:13 PM
Benchmarker

I am going to download ubuntu tonight and will run it from my dvd drive. Is there a dvd run version of mint? I will do it because it's been years since I tried Linucs! MS God pls forgive my mortal soul!

Old 22nd August, 2012, 08:44 PM
AOA Staff

There IS a DVD version of Mint 13. Sadly there isn't a CD version.
Ubuntu still releases a CD version as do most distros.
I reccomend using USB so you can quickly try different versions and distros.
Seriously, its usually not a problem. I have done it numerous times with Fedora, Mint & Ubuntu on my other computers and Live starts up just fine.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 22nd August, 2012, 09:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've had a brief look at them all recently Chris. (obviously not all, just the Biggies, just the desktop contenders)

Go for Mint 13 for by far the best experience. If you don't, you will still have to listen to Boo as he gets blown away by Mint on a daily basis, Mine as well share in his delights!

We know this can't be easy for you Chris. You will have to deal with the natural tendency to back slide. To run back to the abusive parent in time of trouble...

Just remember you can't really hurt anything, all you have invested is your time...so make damn sure you're enjoying yourself. I truly believe you will find much to enjoy...

When I first looked at Linux, I think it was Suze, the install was beyond my comprehension, I don't think I ever even saw that desktop, I paid for it BTW, last time for that!!

a few years later, I could get some destros to install, about half the ones I tried...don't even remember their names... But then What, No internet connection, now Graphics card, no sound, I couldn't figure out how to create a file!!

I didn't know and NO ONE in the Destro tried to tell me how to do anything.

Then there was the joy of security, I've been locked out of my own files more times than I can count! Sometimes a file I just created!

Any one reading this can plainly see that I was always at lest half at fault. I didn't do my home work. I didn't take the trouble to properly learn Linux basics.

And for years this was Linux's attitude towards me. If I couldn't trouble myself to learn, I could stay with MS...

This has radically changed! Mint doesn't expect me to have the slightest interest in Linux code, in Terminal commands, in installing hardware by way of esoteric manipulations of a half-dozen different and confounding "dependencies" from various repositories.

Mint expects that I expect EVERYTHING TO WORK....and not be a pain in my ass about it!

Mint expects that people will have old hardware they wish to use. Mint expects they will also have new hardware. MS pushed me out of Win 2000 pro. made it impossible for me to continue using it as my desktop.

Mint reaches way back into hardware, hey! why not? they aren't trying to forse you to update anything.

The simplest way I can put it would be that MS is explotive and Mint is supportive.

These are two beasts of very different natures.

Nobody is perfect. But some are trying to be and some are not.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 22nd August, 2012, 09:09 PM
AOA Staff

I mostly agree with what Dan wrote. I unfortunately don't have daily experience in Linux. I would turn my Fedora 8 server on from time to time and played with Fedora 16 a bit with no problems... but now is my chance to see what Mint has to offer.
I will try to use it once a day and will document most of my experiences.
I hope to play all of my Facebook games, Drakensang and a bunch of my old Dos games along with OpenGL games. I already know Libre Office works because I use it in Windows. I even tried GIMP 2.8 in Fedora and it was pretty nice. Oh, and I installed Google Chromium in Mint 13 at work and it ran perfectly!
Anyways, lets work together and see what comes of Linux for home use...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 22nd August, 2012, 09:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

When it comes to games Boo your our natural leader. You've got more experience with Games in Linux than I by a very wide margin.

I should be perfect as test audience as, for me, you will have to break everything down step by step, Once I can do it ANYONE can do it!!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 22nd August, 2012, 09:28 PM
Benchmarker

Will try soon mint (not the toothpaste! ), until then will play tonight with Ubuntu 12.10
Attached Thumbnails
Mint and modern hardware-ubuntu12.jpg  

Old 22nd August, 2012, 09:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

This is what I really wanted to see and haven't yet. I put very few demands upon my OS. I'm pretty sorted as far as what I need application wise. In short, I've only recently begain to mess about and avail myself of some of the things I haven't botherted to try.

You and Chris will bring whole new sets of demands that need to be met. I'm very interested to see how well Mint stands up to what you want from her.

She does every thing I want, but that isn't really the basis I'd like to be able to recommend Mint on. I'd like to be able to tell people my friends all use it without difficultes as well.

For some reason my friends haven't been in a great rush to accomadate me... But I have a secret plan! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 22nd August, 2012, 09:51 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

First image after Ubuntu started!
Attached Thumbnails
Mint and modern hardware-dscf0402.jpg  

Old 22nd August, 2012, 09:51 PM
AOA Staff

I have a fairly large list of programs/utilities I want to use in Linux.

Utilities/Media:
VNC
Disk Utility
LibreOffice
VLC
Fwbackups
Dedicated Game Servers

Creative:
Blender
GIMP
Sketchup??
Website Design??

Entertainment:
Games
Internet games
Hulu movies/shows
Game Design Engines???
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 22nd August, 2012, 09:52 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
First image after Ubuntu started!
Seriously???!!!
Is Linux getting back at you?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 22nd August, 2012, 09:54 PM
AOA Staff

What are the details?
It could be something you don't use anyways or it could be a video driver problem since you havn't installed any yet.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10

Tags
mint , modern hardware