AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th September, 2012, 02:46 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Linux Desktop dead? [NOT]

An interesting blog post about the Linux desktop, specifically Gnome, and some *creative* interpretations of how and why the APIs have been [intermittently] broken. I don't see why much of the blame is being placed on Linus; afaik he has always strongly advocated continued backwards compatibility, maybe even to a fault. The blogger, Miguel de Icaza, is one of the founders of the Gnome project. He also blames developer attitudes and disparities between distros. He seems to blame practically everything but himself:

https://plus.google.com/u/1/11525042...ts/hMT5kW8LKJk

Read the following comments. Some of the BIG guns in the Linux kernel world are here; Theodore T'so, Ingo, Alan Cox, and Linus T. 'hisself. I like what Cox says:

"Gnome isn't really a desktop anyway - it's a research project."

Flame war in the making?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 5th September, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th September, 2012, 04:39 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Sounds a bit like the kernel then - sound, wifi, /proc, /sys - they've all changed hugely, and not maintained backwards compatibility.
Old 5th September, 2012, 10:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I must be missing something...what a surprise! ":O}

This guys an expert right?

Quote:
"Why bother setting up the audio?

It will likely break again and will force me to go on a hunting expedition to find out more than I ever wanted to know about the new audio system and the drivers technology we are using. "
Ah, I haven't had a problem that couldn't be fix in config since.... I can't remember having a problem other than buying a Sound card for windows then switching to Fedora...never got to use it.... but that was years ago.

So what makes this so difficult for him?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2012, 09:18 AM

Is that with OSS, ALSA, EsounD, aRts or JACK?
Old 6th September, 2012, 01:31 PM
AOA Staff

As if Windows is free from audio hassles!

My PS3 is very easy when it comes to audio, plug it in, and press play. The PS3 being Linux-ish
Old 6th September, 2012, 02:42 PM

Try that with HDMI and Linux... I've bashed my head against that one before, even when the hardware's supposed to be able to do it (and can under Windows). Gotta make sure you've got the right audio drivers, the right video drivers, and that you don't mind editing text files to tell the sound subsystem what it actually needs to do to make the interface work. Even then, it was hit and miss, but with more miss than hit.

Last edited by Aedan; 6th September, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 6th September, 2012, 03:44 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

I've never used anything but ALSA, and it seems to work fine for me. I don't do anything fancy, though. I did have an odd problem once on sidux - I don't remember the details - but after some playing around it seemed to work itself out. It was one of those things I got working, but can't rightly say HOW I did it Like danrok says, I don't remember it being any more of a hassle than getting audio set up properly on Windows.

OSS is deprecated now, I *think*
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 6th September, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 6th September, 2012, 05:05 PM

I have to say that my sum experience with audio under Windows has pretty much been plug it in[*], with the exception of one firewire device which only needed a driver to be installed. No configuration needed, no playing around needed.

* Not quite true - I did write some code on a microcontroller that acted as a USB microphone. That wasn't quite plug it in! I didn't need to write a driver for it either.