AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th November, 2012, 07:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Glad I can bring sunshine to someone's day.
You may never know how much light you have brought me. But I may never forget.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th November, 2012, 07:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
Yes, did it last night...
Took an hour or two because it would stop and ask if I want to keep a package or over-write it.... but I didn't know it was waiting for my human intervention.
So I would check it, type "I" and then it would continue.... then it would happen again.
Maybe this is why I can't get internet on my Mint 14?

Anyways, everything seems to have worked pretty good.
The first boot gave me an error, but then I set up Cinnamon to be the default and it works just like Mint 13.

My only problem is that I can't get internet for some reason.
I have a valid IP address set by my router, I can ping the router, but no internet.

When I go to Preferences|Network Tools, the local device defaults to loopback interface (lo)
I can select the menu and choose my eth1 network device. I can configure it too.
I've tried setting manual, DHCP and DHCP (addresses) and manually adding the DNS addresses.
I can even ping the modem but no stinking internet????

Does anyone have an idea why Mint 14 would not give me internet?
As you know I've been locked out of my M-14 64 bit install by the Login loop I can't get past.

So I reinstalled a 64 M-13 from back up and tried the upgrade method.

I got exactly the same results as Boo. I'm connected by the wired net, but Browser is without friends and connections. Same with system update. I can't connect to the wider world...

I just can't believe how Mint has screwed this up! Mint was the one I could always trust!

At lest 32 bit will install if not upgrade, 64 bit won't install so you can reach the desk top or upgrade so you can reach the Internet. How did this get past their QA! What has changed at Mint?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 26th November, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th November, 2012, 10:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ok, I spent my morning re-installing Mint-14 RC. While it installed just fine on my 90 gig corsair, it "Can't install grub" after disconnecting all other drives it did, straight to the eternal login loop! Well done Mint 14!

So I give up on 64 bit until Mint straightens things out.

Had a lovely uneventful install of Mint 14 32 bit and I'll spend the next few days installing gamers and trying to see what's what for games in 32 bit Cinnamon 14

I feel for ya Boo! I only have a few games, 8-10 I need to re-install, kinda fun really...How many are you looking at boo if you can't update/upgrade your current install?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 27th November, 2012, 03:29 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

What I suggest is simple. Get linux community(users) to use some sort of teamviewer (dont know if it works in linux but you get the ideea) and charge 5-10 bucks/game install, but with no warranty that it will run for more than 5 minutes. What say?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 27th November, 2012, 06:43 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Yup, teamviewer looks like it runs on Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iPhone and iPad.

On the other hand, there's no reason why a Linux box couldn't do manage remote OpenGL calls, so it should be possible to do that easy enough.
Old 27th November, 2012, 07:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I had hoped Chris that you come to this on your own... When we pour our hearts and efforts into something and it doesn't go well it hurts.

Here's the oldest thing I know about fighting fair...you don't kick someone while they are down.

When I criticize MS, I don't make fun of the pain those who must use it experience when things don't go your way.

What I've been trying for so long to tell you Chris is that a lot of the time your not funny, your just hurtful and I wish you would stop. I hurts my efforts and my feelings and I'm quite sure Boo feels as I do.

We are now a tiny site. If we are are to be supported it will have to be us who does the supporting. I don't want you to stop posting in Linux topics. I'm quite sure you can find constructive, even if critical, things to add to the discussion.

What I'm asking is that you consider the feelings of people who have a great deal invested and who are essentially taking a bit of a chance and are working as hard as they know how to to bring that chance to a useful and worthwhile end.

Boo and and talk openly of Mint failures. We need to be able to do this to progress. In order for Mint to progress.

If every time we post of difficulties you show up and dump on our efforts...well Boo now often post me in e-mail now to avoid the crap.

This is no longer a great forums...this is a collection of friends who don't want to and see no reason to say goodbye, we have shared to much to want to see her pass. Or to want anyone to feel they don't have their place here. You belong here as much as I and have as much right to a say in things as I. We are after all a small forums of friends.

Truthfully, I can readily understand a certain since of feeling left out since I've been trying to take our small forums in a direction that involves areas not formally of much interest to you or to AOA at large.

In my defense, I harm no one with my efforts. I have not and never will suggest we no longer welcome MS users.

Dude as far as I know I'm the only one here not using Windows for something or other if not most everything.

So I'm asking that the next time you post try to consider the feelings involved, the investment of time and the frustration the work Boo and I do involves. At times it's not easy to maintain a cheerful outlook.

Bottom line Chris, more often than not I feel your rooting for us to fail.

I'm pretty sure this is not true of you, but I get that feeling...

is this not something you should take a look at?

What feeling would someone new to us get? Someone with a Linux problem?

One last thing, permit me to cover my ass. I may be overly sensitive in this area, I don't believe that at the moment, but I do see that possibility.

I am after all a totally committed Sob at the moment. So please understand me Chris, I like you, I like your sense of humor. I don't like you dumping on our efforts. Others may not feel as I do on this topic. But not you know how I feel.

Lastly, (one more Lastly)....I may not have picked my moment to bring this up very well. These things build up within me to the point that my dreams begin to reflect them.

I awaken knowing what it is I wish to say. I don't always pick the best time or way to say it.

If I have injured you in any way Chris I am truly sorry.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 27th November, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 27th November, 2012, 08:23 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

LOL what I posted above wasn't a joke, you missed the point, it can be a way of making money. The last bit about how long a game it will run it's just to cover your ass. It might sound funny and maybe it is funny but in the context is ment to say to a customer that you don't guarantee for how long it will run. Same thing as no support for linux.

It's like if you come to AOA to read about linux and if you are unsuccesful in following the steps we wrote or you are a lazy ass and you want us to do it for you, we'll do it for a small donation or something...
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 27th November, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 27th November, 2012, 10:03 PM
AOA Staff

I kinda get what Chris is saying...
AOA offers remote support for installing your games in Linux.
Not a bad idea...
Is anyone else doing this?

Daniel, it sounds like your Mint 14 32-bit will be your best bet.
If I can't get my network to see the internet, then I will probably just install Mint 14 from scratch off a flash drive... yes I said it.... flash drive!
I'm sure that will work because the install erases all previous settings.
Sucks because I'm sure its one file that needs refreshing, but I don't know which one.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 28th November, 2012, 01:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
LOL what I posted above wasn't a joke, you missed the point, it can be a way of making money. The last bit about how long a game it will run it's just to cover your ass. It might sound funny and maybe it is funny but in the context is ment to say to a customer that you don't guarantee for how long it will run. Same thing as no support for linux.

It's like if you come to AOA to read about linux and if you are unsuccesful in following the steps we wrote or you are a lazy ass and you want us to do it for you, we'll do it for a small donation or something...
If you read what I wrote I indicated that That my choice of time and place might be suspect and So I explained that this has been on my mind. I would appreciate it if you would put it on your mind.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 28th November, 2012, 01:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
I kinda get what Chris is saying...
AOA offers remote support for installing your games in Linux.
Not a bad idea...
Is anyone else doing this?

Daniel, it sounds like your Mint 14 32-bit will be your best bet.
If I can't get my network to see the internet, then I will probably just install Mint 14 from scratch off a flash drive... yes I said it.... flash drive!
I'm sure that will work because the install erases all previous settings.
Sucks because I'm sure its one file that needs refreshing, but I don't know which one.
When/if you want to know how to get 64 bit installed...I'm your man! ":O}

See my post on this from today":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 28th November, 2012, 02:57 PM
AOA Staff

Exactly! If I have any problems I'm going to ask you. You are the 64-bit pro after installing it 40 times
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 28th November, 2012, 07:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well almost installing it 40 times, successfully only twice! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 28th November, 2012, 08:38 PM
AOA Staff

Really... That doesn't make 64-bit look very appealing.
Once I overcame that USB problem, 32-bit has worked fine. But I only really installed it successfully two times also.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 29th November, 2012, 12:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

64 bit is fine. Once you install you'll get the login screen even if you told it to auto log you. Just choose Gnome in the preference menu of the login, then do your updates, then install Nvidia drivers. Then log out and log back into Cinnamon. Your done! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd December, 2012, 02:47 PM
AOA Staff

I am posting from Mint 14 Cinnamon!
I installed Chromium and Nvidia 310 drivers (with a single click mind you!) and now am about to install Wine and PlayOnLinux.

This is fun!

Turns out my "upgrade" from Mint 13 to Mint 14 created a duplicate MAC address for eth and could not setup my card as eth0. Instead it was eth1 and couldn't connect to the internet. The steps to fix it was too much and risky if I screwed up. So I did a fresh install from USB (mint you again) and everything is working GREAT!
Let the tutorials continue...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 2nd December, 2012, 08:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Your in 32 bit? I love a clean install, so many choices~!! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 2nd December, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 3rd December, 2012, 02:26 AM
AOA Staff

Yes 32-bit
After trying this update for the first time, it seems like the only thing that broke was my internet. Which happens to be the most important for installing games with PlayOnLinux.
I'll try it again with Mint 15 and then give up...
Fresh install seems to work better so far....
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 3rd December, 2012, 12:22 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Turns out my "upgrade" from Mint 13 to Mint 14 created a duplicate MAC address for eth and could not setup my card as eth0. Instead it was eth1 and couldn't connect to the internet. The steps to fix it was too much and risky if I screwed up.
It shouldn't be risky to fix - I would have thought a quick edit to the udev rules should have fixed this. It'd be somewhere under /etc/udev/rules.d/
Old 3rd December, 2012, 05:00 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
It shouldn't be risky to fix - I would have thought a quick edit to the udev rules should have fixed this. It'd be somewhere under /etc/udev/rules.d/
Man if only you told me that earlier!
Thats ok, all fixed now, but I would have liked to fix it myself because I learn more about Linux that way.
I did some research and no one mentioned the rules.d
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 3rd December, 2012, 06:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Book mark this page! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Tags
mint 14 , upgrading mint , wine