AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Linux (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/120-linux/)
-   -   Boot from USB woes... (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/linux/50601-boot-from-usb-woes.html)

booman 10th August, 2012 04:09 PM

Boot from USB woes...

Seems like I have tried everything!
Several months ago I was trying to get Fedora to boot off my flash drive and it took several iso-to-bootable-usb for it to finally work.
Now I want to try Mint 13 and my motherboard just won't recognize the drive.
Not even in the BIOS. So I may have to update the BIOS, but something tells me I have the most recent version. I'll keep doing some research on my board, but its really strange because any other computer boots to USB just fine.

specs:
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
AMD ATH II X3 455 3.3G AM3
8 Gig CORSAIR CMV4GX3M2A1333C9
Enermax PSU 650Watt
EVGA GeForce 550 Ti
DVD BURNER LITE-ON IHAS124-04

Daniel ~ 10th August, 2012 05:43 PM

Boo! My Man! I've been chasing you all over the forums with this scrap of Info!

I read several months ago that you CAN NOT install from USB Live. You have to install from DVD. Give that a try.

If you need a disk...just let mer know and it's on the way! ":O}

booman 10th August, 2012 05:52 PM

I actually answered it in the Drakensang thread.
I have sucessfully booted Mint on my USB drive at work on two different computers. So it works fine. Runs LIVE and connects to the internet.
I've done it with Fedora, Ubuntu and Mint. Just download pendrivelinux select your distro, point to .iso, and its formats your flash drive for you. Then restart, F12 on most PC's to boot from USB hard drive.
Works GREAT! And its a good way to trial Linux or use as a rescue resource.

Daniel ~ 10th August, 2012 06:36 PM

Very good! ":O}

booman 10th August, 2012 06:40 PM

I am doing a few different tests right now. The first is formatting with a different tool.
Pendrivelinux will format for you as FAT32, but I'm finding that my Gigabyte motherboard doesn't like booting FAT32 USB drives.... which is really dumb because you can't put Linux Live on a NTFS formatted flash drive.
So I'm using the HP USB format tool I downloaded from Softpedia. We'll see how it works. I'm doing this both with Ubuntu Live and Mint Live.
Mint is being installed with Live Linux USB tool and Ubuntu is being install with Pendrivelinux USB tool.

booman 10th August, 2012 06:42 PM

This is interesting. I formatted my USB drive as NTFS and then used Pendrivelinux to install the .iso and make it bootable. I told Pendrivelinux to NOT format as FAT32. It apparently worked. Linux is on the drive and its still NTFS. We'll see what happens when I try to boot from home.

Daniel ~ 10th August, 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booman (Post 517445)
I actually answered it in the Drakensang thread.
I have sucessfully booted Mint on my USB drive at work on two different computers. So it works fine. Runs LIVE and connects to the internet.
I've done it with Fedora, Ubuntu and Mint. Just download pendrivelinux select your distro, point to .iso, and its formats your flash drive for you. Then restart, F12 on most PC's to boot from USB hard drive.
Works GREAT! And its a good way to trial Linux or use as a rescue resource.

Hmmm Booted to the LIVE USB ....or actully installed from the LIVE USB to a hard drive at work?

booman 10th August, 2012 07:20 PM

well, I'm using some older Dell workstations and it boots fine. But, the final test is taking them home and trying them again.
I will definitely work more on it this weekend.

Daniel ~ 10th August, 2012 07:26 PM

Boots to LIVE yes. But does it actully install to a hard drive?

Because that's what they were saying, can run LIVE just fine, but can't be used to install to a hard drive.

By the time it gets to you, you probably won't need it. But I'm sending a Mint Cinnamon 64 bit Disk your way, would you rather have 32 bit or both?

Would you still prefer MATE...or both? ":O}

I bought a mess of DVDs a while back, making Linux disks is their only joy! ":O}

booman 10th August, 2012 07:29 PM

oh, I obviously havn't done it yet, but when you boot Live, there is a shortcut on the desktop that says "install Mint" which will install permanently to the hard drive.
Ubuntu and Fedora have that also.

Daniel ~ 10th August, 2012 07:36 PM

Ah! But does it work if you're using a USB drive?

So how many disks would you like and in what flavors...Don't be shy, I have them downloaded and it's still fun to burn them! ":O}

booman 10th August, 2012 07:39 PM

the only Proof I have is my Fedora that is currently installed. I'll answer this after I try it tomorrow morning.
with any older computer it should work without a flaw, but this is a newer motherboard and I do have windows 7 already installed.

Daniel ~ 10th August, 2012 07:46 PM

I know I'm being a real nag, but Mint said it wouldn't work in Mint... as I've said, things change, but it can be dissapointing to count on them changing in time to help you.":O}

That said, you might be just the guy to find a work around.

Maybe I'm being influence by my recent RAID experences...":O}

booman 10th August, 2012 08:40 PM

Dude if Mint Live doesn't install on my Computer I would be pissed. That is the whole point right? Trial Linux and then install it if you like it.
If it doesn't work on any of my computers, then that is a game breaker.
I'll definitely let you know of my findings.
I may even install it on a work computer temporarily just to make sure it installs.
who knows, my whole issue may be Windows 7

Daniel ~ 10th August, 2012 10:44 PM

It most likely will install on all your boxes...with a DVD. Use the USB as you are doing, just take the disk when you want to install to a hard drive. You'll forgive Mint once you get to know her.":O}

Now how are you going to help others learn Linux if you have to tell them USB install was the deal breaker for Mint? ":O}

Don't forget the holy grail! The magic Drivers button awaits you! LOL

booman 10th August, 2012 11:06 PM

I meant deal-breaker for Mint, but like I've said, I never had this problem in the past. Just this computer is giving me woes...

I was very happy with Fedora 16, but I see you raving all over the forum about Mint. So I figured I would give it a try.

My goal is to assemble simple Linux gaming machines with the least amount of headache possible.

I love refurbishing computers and giving them away. So wouldn't it be nice to have a Free operating system with a bunch of free games already installed?

I would...

My other goal is to eventually replace Windows with Linux so I can host my LAN parties without having to deal with more costs, keys and activation's. I'm hoping eventually all of my machines will be solely on Linux.

With Linux desktop becoming easier to use, more games being developed to natively run on Linux and emulation/virtualization possible with modern hardware.... I see it starting to happen.

Maybe some day down-the-road I'll offer a free PC gaming club with 30+ computers. People can come and go playing game for no cost.

I can't wait to experience your miracle button!

booman 10th August, 2012 11:52 PM

I successfully installed Mint Maya on one of my work machines: Pentium D, 2 Gig RAM, 80 Gig hard drive. I'm going to play with it a bit and then image it back to Windows.... now to go home and try it on my stubborn super computer

booman 11th August, 2012 12:30 AM

I'm really really liking Mint. The Holy Grail button doesn't work only because of the Intel integrated video. This was a test anyways.
Mint is very smooth even on this older hardware. I love the multiple desktops as always, the software updater is easy to use.... I'll be installing dosbox and wine.
If this boots and installs on my super computer I will definitely be using it solely for games! What a cool distro

Daniel ~ 11th August, 2012 04:29 AM

I "think" you already have Wine...But I may have installed it long ago and forgotten. Do you have a steam account?

Have you had a chance to play with "Themes" ? Another little pocket of joy.
Tool bars aren't as flexible as I'd like, but can be made quite serviceable.

Daniel ~ 11th August, 2012 04:31 AM

My CPU has integrated Video as well, no problem if you're using a Graphics card.