AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th November, 2002, 01:54 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Dying router?

I think my Linksys BEFSR41 router/switch is dying. I no longer get my internet connection through it for the past couple of days.

I connect my cable modem directly to my pc to get online. Also, when I try to get into the bios.. "http://192.168.1.1" I get nothing. When I ping 192.168.1.1, I get nothing.

Seems the dhcp server is no longer working. Strange part is, I can still connect to the network and all my pcs see each other. All my machines are XP... and they are autoconfiguring to an odd IP addy... not 192.168.1.xxx the way they used to.

I can't flash the bios 'cause the executable can't find 192.168.1.1 either. I've tried to reset and/or clear the bios many times.

Can anyone confirm this is a dying router? Still seems to be working fine as a switch.
Old 9th November, 2002, 04:11 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I dunno, Steve. Sorry. I do know that Linksys's quality does not impress me. I have a 5-port hub from them that was assembled wrong. No more Linksys for me.
Old 10th November, 2002, 12:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

reset the "bios" on the router with a paperclip (on the front) and use the default 10.0.0.01 (i think? and default password~ linsys website might help better then i can... i had to do the same thing and just reset all of it after a hacker tried to hit me hard)
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th November, 2002, 04:02 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Thanks Spyder..
Tried resetting about a dozen times. Tried to get at the router every way I know how... ping.. browser.. ipconfig... no dice. I paid $150 for this (at the time it was a great deal), and it has served me well for over 2 years.

I don't need wireless, but I saw a deal for a 4 port router with wireless built in, so I ordered it... I'll be setting it up on Monday night.
Old 10th November, 2002, 01:45 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Dying router?

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
I think my Linksys BEFSR41 router/switch is dying. I no longer get my internet connection through it for the past couple of days.
If a Windows machine can't get hold of a DHCP address, it may make one up. It'll be a different looking address, probably with 169 in it somewhere. It sounds like either the processor has failed, or the firmware is corrupt. If the procesor has gone, then there's not much you can do.

The switch will continue to work, as it's physically seperate from the rest of the system.

AidanII
Old 11th November, 2002, 09:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'm thinking.... I've already ordered the wireless version as an upgrade.... But..... why do I need it? I'm using ICS now, and maybe I should just save myself the $100, and leave my network alone. Aside from NAT, what do I gain?

If I don't replace the router, I'd move the 2nd nic over to my print server, so I could free up my main machine. Any thoughts?
Old 11th November, 2002, 09:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

BTW... in addition to the 4port router, I also have an 8 port switch. Given my current set up, do I even need a router? I use 6 ports now, so could I just chuck the router out the window and just use the switch?
Old 12th November, 2002, 04:16 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Well, I'm not sure what I did...
I disabled the 4port router all together, and connected all my PCs to the 8port switch.... even connected my NT notebook, and it was able to obtain an IP addy. Seems my Main rig (w/ ICS) is acting as DCHP server, . Alls good. Even ran speedtest at dslreports. I'm only getting 1400kbps/950kbps on my main rig(last time I checked was last year and I got over 4000), and 2400kbps/950kbps on my backup, (figure that one out). Also, with the winXP firewall turned on, it seems to pass online security tests.

Tomorrow night, the final test. I'll move the second nic to my print server, and let it be my internet server too... then turn off all machines, reboot, and see if my network comes online. If it does, I'm driving over to Compusa to return the router I received tonight..

BTW, I got the 4port/wireless Linksys for $100 thinking it was a great deal. Apparantly, compusa is running a sale on the netgear model, also for $99, before a $30 rebate... shhesh.. These things are damn cheap now. To me that's an amazing deal.
Old 12th November, 2002, 04:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

ICS does include a DHCP server.

when i use it on my dialup i always get very unbalanced bandwidth (host gets 1kbps and the client gets 2kbps.. no idea where the other 1kbps goes....)

of course ive never gotten ICS to work properly.... could ya tell me about how you set it up?? (i think half the problem is that my client is a win98 machine though...)
Old 12th November, 2002, 04:48 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Seems stable.
I'm running almost all WinXP boxes.
I have a 10mbit nic connecting to the cablemodem. It is quite simple actually.. The adapter is set with ICS turned on and the fire wall is enabled. All of my machines are set for DHCP. That's all I know.

I do have a new problem tho. While my notebook is able to get online, I have not been able to use VPN on it. If I can't figure out how to enable VPN passthrough, I may have to get a router after all.
Old 12th November, 2002, 07:00 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

In ics you need to enable that program to use ics. By default it enables http and thats it. We had a major headache one time when a router crapped out and we subbed ics for a week. Everyone was happy till they tried to upload their work via ftp. Finally figured out you need to enable ftp for it to work.. go figure....
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2002, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I do have a new problem tho. While my notebook is able to get online, I have not been able to use VPN on it. If I can't figure out how to enable VPN passthrough, I may have to get a router after all.
What sort of VPN software are you using? Do you know if it uses IPSec, PPTP or L2TP?

It may be that ICS won't forward it. I believe that ICS cannot handle forwarding IPSec.

AidanII

Last edited by Áedán; 12th November, 2002 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12th November, 2002, 10:02 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

What sort of VPN software are you using? Do you know if it uses IPSec, PPTP or L2TP?

It may be that ICS won't forward it. I believe that ICS cannot handle forwarding IPSec.

AidanII
I've been trying to figure this out. It is Nortel Extranet Access Client. I think it's IPsec, not sure. But now I lost the IP address of my notebook so I can't even try.

Seems ICS is not consistently able to assign IPaddy's and so I'm reconsidering the router idea. I don't know if it's worth the hassle... $70 after rebate is sounding really good right now.
Old 12th November, 2002, 10:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:

I've been trying to figure this out. It is Nortel Extranet Access Client. I think it's IPsec, not sure. But now I lost the IP address of my notebook so I can't even try.

Seems ICS is not consistently able to assign IPaddy's and so I'm reconsidering the router idea. I don't know if it's worth the hassle... $70 after rebate is sounding really good right now.
It's totally worth it IMO. Routers make my life so much easier it's worth the money and parys for itself with the saved cost of advil.
Old 13th November, 2002, 12:18 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

K.. I'm running out to compusa to return the Linksys ($100) and get the netgear ($70) model. The netgear has the same features, and overall, it seems Netgear has a better reputation.

I guess we'll see.
Old 13th November, 2002, 02:09 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Thanks guys... especially cloasters... I read your comment 3 times before it dawned on me. Linksys, 1 year warrantee and died in 2 years. Netgear, better rep, and a 5 year warrantee. Also, the netgear is 70 bucks!! or $30 cheaper. I'll be setting this up tonight.
Old 13th November, 2002, 03:44 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Oh, man!! THis is too easy.
I had all of my machines connected to my 8 port switch, so all I had to do was connect the cable modem to the router, connect my switch to the router, and done.

VPN worked like a charm too!!

Only down side is that your can't turn off the wireless completely.

Now to fill out the rebate form.
Old 13th November, 2002, 03:56 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Even better.. Running ICS I noticed my bandwidth was down to only 1400/950kbit, with the new router in place I'm back over 4000/950kbit again!! WOOHOOO !!!

BTW.... I must have 5 consecutive posts in this thread... who put the time limit on edits??? :~
Old 13th November, 2002, 10:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

lol postcount++ I've had nothing but good luck with my netgear router and 8port switch so far. good choice.
Old 13th November, 2002, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I've been trying to figure this out. It is Nortel Extranet Access Client. I think it's IPsec, not sure.
Just to confirm, the Nortel EAC appears to be IPSec. That means it uses protocols 50 (ESP) and 51 (AH) along with UDP port 500. ICS doesn't stand much of a chance when anything other than TCP and UDP is in use.

As far as Linksys and Netgear go, I've had enough bad experiences with Netgear stuff. Linksys isn't so well established in the UK, so I can't comment on them really.

AidanII