AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th November, 2001, 08:22 PM

What about this: I have the cable out of the wall to a cable connector. One line goes to my cable modem, the other goes to my tv. Is this anyway cutting down on some of my speed. I'm just checking every option. Thanks.
Old 28th November, 2001, 08:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Unfortunately, there's no way to know without testing it... real easy. With your spliter in place, go to a site like DSL reports and run a test to determine your bandwdth. You can tweak there too. Then repeat the same process after removing the splitter.

The splitter isn't going to help performance, but it can hurt it, especially if the same line has already been split numerous times, or if the signal is not strong or clear.

Test it out,
SteveI.
Old 8th December, 2001, 05:25 AM

I did find out something! When my TV is on, I have tiny lines in my monitor. I thought my monitor was dying! Is it bad to have your TV close to the monitor?
Old 8th December, 2001, 10:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Three or four feet apart should be fine.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 9th December, 2001 at 12:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2001, 12:04 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JAWS
I did find out something! When my TV is on, I have tiny lines in my monitor. I thought my monitor was dying! Is it bad to have your TV close to the monitor?
It's not bad for the TV or the monitor, but it might well be bad for your eyes! It's just the magnetic field from the TV knocking the beam off target on the monitor.

Best way to deal with it is to seperate the TV and the monitor until you can't see any of the lines/flickering any longer! Some monitors are more suspect to such interference, and some TVs generate more than others. Generally the larger they are, the worse they are. This is unless you're lucky enough to have LCD or projectors...

AidanII