AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th November, 2001, 08:41 PM
eobard

Hijacked email address????

Can anyone help me with this. I just got an email, sent to my email address, from my email address. It's a credit related junk email. I did not send it to myself. How is this possible?? Can I get someone arrested for hijacking my email address????
Old 21st November, 2001, 12:10 AM
eobard

Bump. Come on people, somebody here has got to be able to help me with this. I really need to destroy the ******* ******** *** ****** ******-******* sheep ******* pieces of **** who did this.
Old 21st November, 2001, 12:21 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I know not all servers need out-going mail authorization. I have often thought of the possibility of this happening. Yahoo is pretty much the only one that I have run into that requires it. Try deleting all your passwords and crap and only fill in the outgoing mail server and email address and see if it will send without a password.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2001, 12:59 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Mail spoofing is trivial to acheive.

Basically, there's two places the address comes from.

If you're using something like Outlook, then when it retrieves the email from your ISP using POP3, it looks inside the message header for something like
and uses that for the display. This is the most trivial form to use, as servers generally don't touch much in the headers, other than adding their name to the list of servers it's been through.

If you're using your own server, then the mail server connecting has a little conversation that goes like... (Italics are the receiving server, bold is the sending server)
220 mail.localhost Weasel 1.20 ready
EHLO dodgy_geezer.com
250 mail.localhost teletubbies say ehlo
MAIL FROM: sender_name@here.com
250 Sender accepted
RCPT TO: receiver_name@there.com
250 mailbox OK
DATA
354 Socket to me
<your message gets sent here>

The problem is, you don't get to see what happened at the server, so there's no way you can trace the IP address that delivered the mail, assuming it's traceable. Basically, all you can do is allow it to drop!

AidanII
Old 21st November, 2001, 01:17 AM
eobard

I looked at the properties of the email I sent myself. The reply is supposed to get redirected to: financialsuccess1@mediaone.net. Anywho I'd just like to say to all of the skilled programmers and hackers who read this that I DON'T WANT YOU TO USE YOUR ADVANCED SKILLS TO SEEK REVENGE AGAINST THESE PEOPLE ON MY BEHALF. Excuse me, I have something in my eye, .
Old 21st November, 2001, 01:58 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
I looked at the properties of the email I sent myself. The reply is supposed to get redirected to: financialsuccess1@mediaone.net. Anywho I'd just like to say to all of the skilled programmers and hackers who read this that I DON'T WANT YOU TO USE YOUR ADVANCED SKILLS TO SEEK REVENGE AGAINST THESE PEOPLE ON MY BEHALF. Excuse me, I have something in my eye, .
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Old 21st November, 2001, 03:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
What hackers? I need them !!!
Old 21st November, 2001, 04:38 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

What hackers? I need them !!!
Hopefully, I mean surely, there must be people of hacker quality here. People of hacker quality who consider our collection of computer enthusiasts to be one big family. People who would glady wreak havoc upon those who would cause trouble with a family member, and all without prompting on my part! Darn, I've got something in my eye again.
Old 21st November, 2001, 05:15 AM
Banned

Oh, yeah... I've been getting hammered by port scans from ^^.^^.@#$.**

Old 21st November, 2001, 05:18 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:

Hey, that's my IP, I mean, my friend's IP, yeah, my friend! (j/k)

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2001, 05:31 AM
eobard

Quote:

Hey! we're seeking my revenge here! You start your own thread! (Unless this is becoming the "revenge thread" for the board.)
Old 21st November, 2001, 11:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Please see the attatched text file, it's worth the read . . . .
Attached Files
File Type: txt sendmail.txt (86.4 KB, 288 views)

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2001, 12:30 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:

What did you expect from Road Runner? You can try sending mail to abuse@rr.com but you might not get much of a response.

AidanII
Old 21st November, 2001, 12:43 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper

Your always trying to get me to think, what is it with you? Man, 90% of that was over my head! And the remaining 23% was pretty confusing too.

Thanks for the info.
Old 21st November, 2001, 01:07 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Quite interesting, I say. I guess Sendmail is like a double-edged sword, you have to leave port 25 open to telnet to use it, but then people can send in fake emails.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 21st November, 2001, 01:16 PM
eobard

I went to my ISP's site and followed a bunch of pre-moulded response steps for just such an occasion (it would appear this is common, never happened to me before though), hopefully someone will be urinated on for doing this. (Can you all tell I got no sleep last night?)
Old 23rd November, 2001, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

Hey! we're seeking my revenge here! You start your own thread! (Unless this is becoming the "revenge thread" for the board.)
Who, me?
Old 28th November, 2001, 02:04 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Its happened to me a LOT! i wont open anything from anyone i dont know, EVER im paranoid lol!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 28th November, 2001, 03:31 PM

It's really not overly tough to do. I've had some new sites that offer to let you email the page to a friend. Well, when you click on the link, it pulls up an applet that asks you for your email addy and your friends email. When it sends the mail, it puts whatever you want in as your email address. So it can't be that hard, or illegal.

And I've gotten some junk mail into my hotmail box from me. I just delete them straight out.