AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th December, 2001, 01:52 PM
Mr Swede

Question ICQ and firewall / router

I have adsl and use a D-Link DI-704 as a router. It's also a firewall.
I can use ICQ to chat but I can't send or receive files.
Anyone know how to setup ICQ and/or my router?
Old 8th December, 2001, 02:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It sounds like you need to configure the firewall/NAT to permit connections to your machine from a limited number of ports, and tell ICQ to use those ports.

Go to the preferences on ICQ, and select "Connections". Choose "Not using Proxy" and select "Use the following TCP listen port for incoming event". There's two boxes underneith to allow you to enter the "From" and "To" ports. I'd recommend you choose a high range of numbers - say 40000 to 40020.

Next, you'd need to configure the router to allow connections to port 40000 and 40020 to connect to your machine. I presume there's a virtual service page on the firewall that'll allow you to put the ports in, and which machine they need to connect to.

Give that a go!

AidanII
Old 8th December, 2001, 11:12 PM
AOA Staff

DOH! too slow
Old 9th December, 2001, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
DOH! too slow
Sorry Surly, but you need to fix that ActiveX problem first. (:
Old 9th December, 2001, 06:46 AM
AOA Staff

ya, we're gettin close It's really the guys that work in the office's problem, but they always call the feild techs when they can't figure somethin out
Old 9th December, 2001, 11:35 PM
Mr Swede

Unhappy

I tried what you said Aidan, but that doesn't work.
It seems like ICQ uses random ports. Didn't help to specify the ports to use.
Old 10th December, 2001, 12:51 AM

The ICQ stuff I suggested was pretty much taken from the ICQ web pages on how to get ICQ to run through a firewall. It might be worth you reading them!

ICQ should abide by the rules you've given it. If it doesn't then there's a bug! (:

AidanII
Old 10th December, 2001, 07:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

yeah, port forwarding in those port ranges forwarded to that systems internal ip address.
Old 12th December, 2001, 11:43 AM
Mr Swede

Still no luck.
I configured ICQ to use ports 40000 - 40100 ( tried with other ports too ), I did a portforward of those ports to my internal IP.

I got the message, that a file is incomming, the window pops up and I click accept. No file is comming. After a while it times out and the sender get the message that no directconnection could establish.
Old 12th December, 2001, 05:10 PM
Banned

Eek. No zonealarm (this caused me some grief before...)? I remember having issues until I upgraded to the most recent version...
Old 12th December, 2001, 07:12 PM
Mr Swede

Arrrg at ICQ. I finally found some information.
I have to redirect all ports between 1024-65535.
I don't feel comfortable to have all those ports open , so I think I leave it be.
Old 12th December, 2001, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Swede
Arrrg at ICQ. I finally found some information.
I have to redirect all ports between 1024-65535.
I don't feel comfortable to have all those ports open , so I think I leave it be.
As I understand this - ICQ are saying that you shouldn't operate a firewall... If this is true, nice work ICQ. Demonstrate your complete incomprehension at the very idea of security... Oh, they've already done that haven't they? There was a nice program going around a long while ago that let you log in as any ICQ user without needing to know their password...

AidanII
Old 13th December, 2001, 08:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

As I understand this - ICQ are saying that you shouldn't operate a firewall... If this is true, nice work ICQ. Demonstrate your complete incomprehension at the very idea of security... Oh, they've already done that haven't they? There was a nice program going around a long while ago that let you log in as any ICQ user without needing to know their password...

AidanII
you hit that nail on the head..
Old 3rd January, 2002, 10:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to e_storm

It is also possible to expose ur computer during your file transfer, and then un-expose it once your done. You are obviously vulnerable when exposed, but if its only for short periods for file transfers, probably not a big deal IMO. I do that occasionally on ICQ.

My linksys 4 port router has the DMZ option, not sure what its called on ur router.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!