AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th September, 2001, 08:48 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to TranceBear Send a message via AIM to TranceBear Send a message via Yahoo to TranceBear

My RCA cable modem...Connet to computer through USB adapter or NIC card?

I have tried only the USB adapter and I was wondering if anybody has had better performance with going through a NIC card. I have NO PCI cards right now and I did not want to add any until I am sure it would help. Please elaborate.
Old 26th September, 2001, 10:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Maddman

It is a toss up unless you run a lot of stuff on the usb port. The usb port is a shared 12Mbit connection. The NIC is a dedicated 10Mbit connection.

"Intel Inside" is a Government Warning required by Law

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GIT/O d- s+:++ a C+++ U-- P L E? W++ N++ o-- K++ w++ O+ M- PS+ PE Y+ PGP- t 5+
X R++ tv++ b+++ DI++ D- G e h+ r-- y?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2001, 07:03 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I agree with Maddman.
Typical cablemodem is only designed to handle 1-2mbps. So unless your USB port gets a lot of traffic, you won't see an improvement by going to a NIC.... If you ever want to network, however, that's another story.

SteveI.
Old 26th September, 2001, 08:02 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I went from USB to NIC and my upload speed tripled. Don't know why, but it did.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2001, 08:46 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
I went from USB to NIC and my upload speed tripled. Don't know why, but it did.
I stand corrected. Makes me love mine even more. Maybe there is latency in USB, (it's over my head).

SteveI.
Old 27th September, 2001, 12:46 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I've been told that a USB DSL modem runs like like mud uphill. Dunno if this is apropos to the question, though. NIC's aren't all that expensive. Netgear's are cheap. The catch is that your box may not like them. If Netgear's work, they are FAST.
Old 27th September, 2001, 01:20 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

From a professional standpoint I would tell people to steer well clear of USB DSL or ADSL devices.

Not only are they quite slow, but they also present problems with some of the more powerful motherboards on the market.

NIC's however are far better at coping with DSL provided that the host bus speed isn't 41.5Mhz !!!!

I've heard of lots of problems with USB cable modems(I know they're adapters but we call 'em modems still) , and I always say to 'em - connect on the 10MegaBit line through a NIC.

If customer says he wants to use his USB (because he thinks its trendy) I send the boys round and they promptly render his kneecaps useless with a 12bore.
Old 27th September, 2001, 08:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'd personally prefer to go with Ethernet for networking technologies! USB is fine and dandy for many things, but I don't feel it's well suited to networking. USB devices need constant 'servicing' by your processor as the processor has to go and check to see if anything has been received. Hence they tend to eat up more processor cycles.

Ethernet cards signal the computer using an interrupt whenever they've sent or received a packet, so it's less work on the processor.

Áedán
Old 28th September, 2001, 01:16 AM

I tend to agree w/ Andy and Áedán, go w/ a NIC. A freind has his cable modem set up thru a USB and it is much slower than my NIC setup. Plus, a decent 10/100 card is only $20.
Old 30th September, 2001, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to killem1x1

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
I've been told that a USB DSL modem runs like like mud uphill. Dunno if this is apropos to the question, though. NIC's aren't all that expensive. Netgear's are cheap. The catch is that your box may not like them. If Netgear's work, they are FAST.
I thought it was just me with the Netgear Nics. I picked up 2 new ones last night, put one in my system, and it wouldn't even BOOT. NO PSU, Nadda, put the old D-link back in, and no problem. This D-link is a 4 year old PCI Nic, and it's working great, but I tried the other Netgear, and still no-go. BTW this is with an epox 8k7a+, I've always thought netgear was the best for the money...
Old 1st October, 2001, 02:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

my cousin works for att, and he said steer clear of usb if you want the best performance that you can get. I would have to agree with him on that.
Old 1st October, 2001, 05:29 AM

Ok Trance I'd try and find yourself a model like the Netgear Fa311 or 310 which is an Autosence 10base 100base card. Also the USB will lag you because Cable and DSL works on the TCP/IP or PPPoE depending on which service your using. When using the USB it has to transfer through more programs and Buses so it can become what it is needed to be also Cable and DSL are made for Ethernet.

AMD XP 1700+ @ 1639mhz (Bad vid card can't hold high FSB)
Epox 8hka+
Aska Silver Mtn 40ºC full load folding 24/7
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Old 23rd October, 2001, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

On this subject, I can relate with, as I have a cable modem. Two words. USB SUCKS!! I know, I know, it is supposed to have a faster transfer rate with more reliable connection. That may be true, but the problem with USB is, it is almost completely dependant on how beefy your box is. NICs are pretty much fool-proof on any machine that will take them. Go with NIC connection.