AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th November, 2003, 11:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Hitachi G1000

Been thinking about getting a phone and I came across this sexy beast . I think it will be this years xmas present to myself, lol.
One problem though, I know its a decent pda but I have absoutley no expereince with cell phone tech. So any of the phone geeks out there want to comment on it? Good? bad?

Heres sprints link

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...=1069666476088
Old 25th November, 2003, 11:45 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It runs Windows?

/me is waiting for someone to release a virus for 'em.
Old 25th November, 2003, 12:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

PocketPC is the os. A virus wouldnt do much damage. Just reset the damn pda and all info is wiped (Back to orginal rom image). All you would lose is your programs/contacts/email but thats recovered when you run activesync...

Btw there are already viruses (virii? ) for them, but like I said they dont do much damage.
Old 25th November, 2003, 02:20 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

NOOOOO Run for you lives!

I'm currently trying to cope with an Orange SPV (runs MS Smartphone 2002, basically PocketPC for smaller screens) and it's horrible. Hardware-wise, it's a relatively comfortable handset. Software-wise, it's slow, bugged, prone to crashes, multitasks in the way Win3.1 used to and is generally the worst operating system I've used on any platform. Ever. And that includes Win95.

Just one of the many niggling "features" - I have 2 ghost SMS's. The SMS tone sounded, the icon came up. No SMS found. Delete ALL the messages, and the phone still reports an unread message.

Probably someone has sent me text, and is now feeling lonely and ignored for my not responding to it. I'll never know...

Did I mention the crashing?
Old 25th November, 2003, 02:50 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed
PocketPC is the os. A virus wouldnt do much damage. Just reset the damn pda and all info is wiped (Back to orginal rom image).
Unfortunately, a phone is not like a PDA. The two are integrated together, and it wouldn't be too hard for a virus to sit there sending SMS messages or making calls. Alternatively, it could alter the EEPROM settings that's used by the phone half of the systems, and effectively lock your phone off your provider's network.

One of the Windows based smartphones in the UK already has a program that modifies the phone settings to remove the SIMlocks. It's not hard to see the inverse could be done.

Also, PocketPC Phone Edition is definately not the same as PocketPC. However, PocketPC Phone Edition has been replaced by a different name - I forget what it's called now, as it's undergone several name changes.