AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th November, 2003, 06:21 PM
AOA Staff

"LCP No Response" error on ADSL modem

Just trying to set up a new ADSL connection for a mate using a Dlink DSL300G+ modem.

All settings are correct - same ISP as me. The modem reports the following error "LCP No Response". I now know that LCP is the Link Configuration Protocol.

Anyone got any ideas? The ISPs tech line is not manned on a Sunday.
Old 30th November, 2003, 06:51 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

How is the signal on the TV's?!?!? Did a tech come out and test his cable lines?!?! How old is the cable that is ran in his house?!!?!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th November, 2003, 08:34 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Robbie - it's ADSL, not cable

Danrok, LCP no response generally means that the ADSL device couldn't get any response back from the router in the exchange. Does the ADSL device show any signs of carrier detect? If not, it may well be that BT haven't got it right yet. If you can see the DSLAM's signal ok, but still get no LCP response then it suggests either the ADSL device is faulty or there's a problem with the exchange.
Old 30th November, 2003, 11:58 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Don't ask me why I was thinking of cable modem.... so take all my answers and apply them to your phone lines!!!

Did you remember to hook up the filters to the other phones?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st December, 2003, 12:33 AM
AOA Staff

There's filters on all the sockets and the cabling was old but the telecoms company have just renewed it.

Maybe they need to come and check their wiring.
Old 1st December, 2003, 10:56 AM

I take it you did check to see if the modem was actually seeing an ADSL signal?
Old 1st December, 2003, 02:52 PM
AOA Staff

The ADSL status light was flashing.

I'm going to test the unit on my own connection this evening.

Support is a bit lacking on Dlink's website, no firmware downloads or FAQs.
Old 1st December, 2003, 03:17 PM

What did the status page on the DSL300G+'s web interface claim?
Old 1st December, 2003, 07:26 PM
AOA Staff

Tested it on my own line and it works fine, same ISP.

The status page reports, either "connecting", "disconnecting" or "LCP No Response" as it cycles through each connection attempt.

So, it looks like something to do with the phone wiring in his house.
Old 1st December, 2003, 08:36 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Just to check - you've probably already done this, but in the house with problems, were you testing the ADSL connection using the BT master socket? (For others reading this, the master socket is the one that actually leads to the telephone line - all other sockets are wired into this single socket).

BT engineers have been known to take shortcuts with secondary sockets - something to do with omitting some of the wires. It was a problem in my last house.
Old 1st December, 2003, 10:53 PM

Typically that's omitting the ring wire. In the UK there's three wires used for telephones. However, the cable from the exchange consists of two wires! The master socket contains some components that split out the ring signal and present it on the third wire.

However, that shouldn't stop ADSL from working!
Old 1st December, 2003, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
The status page reports, either "connecting", "disconnecting" or "LCP No Response" as it cycles through each connection attempt.
Sounds like something's chewing the ADSL signal somewhere, probably from the ADSL router upstream given that it can get as far as connecting.

Best thing you can probably try is removing the front plate from the master socket (which should disconnect all the extensions if it's wired properly!), and plugging the ADSL modem in on it's own.
Old 5th December, 2003, 07:02 PM
AOA Staff

Problem solved.

A guy called round from the telecom firm and sure enough it was a problem at their end - something not configured correctly.
Old 6th December, 2003, 02:33 PM

There's a surprise.
Old 16th December, 2003, 03:53 PM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Romulus

I deal with BT on a daily basis at work... Aside from Verizon they are the biggest bunch of morons I have ever worked with...
I'm just glad to see that they got you fixed on the first re-dispatch.

My Heatware

Email me here