AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th February, 2004, 08:48 PM
AOA Staff

Bluetooth phone and ear piece cuts out

A mate has recently bought a Sony Ericsson mobile phone and wireless bluetooth ear piece.

It's prone to losing the signal to the ear piece. It was quite bad at first, but behaves a bit better now (for no obvious reason). Still plays up though.

This doesn't seem right to me, I thought bluethooth was meant to be a very reliable system.

Does anyone else have one of these or a good knowledge of bluetooth devices?
Old 7th February, 2004, 01:46 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Works fine for both my parents (Siemens S55 and Sony Ericsson T68i with a cheap-arse bluetooth headset). Have you checked:

* the pairing
* the batteries are charged
* another bluetooth device, e.g. PDA, other headset
* that the phone isn't in a Faraday's cage
?

Of which the 3rd is the important one. If the headset works fine for another bluetooth phone, the handset's faulty, and vice-versa.

EDIT:: Further thought, as Áedán will gladly tell you, not all bluetooth devices are created equal. Does the headset explicitly say it's compatible with the handset?

Last edited by Kaitain; 7th February, 2004 at 01:52 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2004, 04:01 PM
AOA Staff

The two are definately compatible - it's the recommended ear piece for the phone.

Trouble is it's one of those intermitant problems, so he'd need to borrow another phone for a day at least.

My gut feeling is that the battery in the ear piece is not either not working or charging as it should.
Old 8th February, 2004, 04:11 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

What happens when it loses the signal? The phone should realise fairly quickly and offer to pull the audio back into the phone.

I have a SE HBH-15 (Had it over a year), and it's work pretty well with a T68i, a PC and a P900. The only issues I've had are with the PC and P900. The original Bluetooth stack I had for the PC didn't officially support audio, and the P900 has some quirks relating to using voice control to start a call.

Bluetooth is usually fairly good at cutting through interference and the like. However, two things to understand is that anything that contains lots of water will absorb the signal, and that Bluetooth works best line of sight (Being microwave).

I've found that if I place a Bluetooth headset on one side of my body and place the phone on the other side, so my body is shielding it, the phone/headset connection is more likely to suffer brief interruptions.
Old 8th February, 2004, 04:51 PM
AOA Staff

Thanks. You may have come up with something there, my mate is a big guy, so his body would easily get in the way of the signal. I didn't realise that these things worked on microwaves.