AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2002, 06:46 AM

TCP/IP under Windows 3.11?

How would one go about setting up TCP/IP under Windows for Workgroups (3.11)? I was able to setup IPX/SPX and NetBEUI, but that does me no good, since my DSL requires TCP/IP, and all the other computers on my network only use TCP/IP. And I'm not going to change the settings on the other computers, as only one of them are mine.

It uses an Intel EtherExpress 16 NIC. Any help would be appreciated. And I have all 8 setup 3.5" floppies, if I need to add something from there.
Old 20th January, 2002, 11:02 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

You're asking for some fun there. IIRC, W4W doesn't ship with a TCP/IP stack, so it has to be added...

Snag a copy of the Microsoft TCP/IP-32 3.11b from here. It's a self extracting archive, so run it to decompress it. Copy all the files to a floppy, and run the network setup in W4W. You should have your network card driver in the "Network Drivers" section. If not, fix it!

Click on drivers, and then Add Protocol and add an "unlisted or updated protocol"... It should take the TCP/IP-32 off the floppy disk. Highlight TCP/IP and click setup... You know what to fill in here.

That should get you your TCP/IP stack, and a few basic utilities like PING, Traceroute and IPConfig.

AidanII
Old 20th January, 2002, 08:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AidanII's post in this thread is definitively the highest quality. Well done!! If we all could make such helpful posts all the time, AOA would be the top Tech Help site on the Web. Hand's down.

Moderator, it would be great to "frame" AidanII's post as an example of what we SHOULD be doing.

Last edited by cloasters; 20th January, 2002 at 08:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2002, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
You're asking for some fun there. IIRC, W4W doesn't ship with a TCP/IP stack, so it has to be added...

Snag a copy of the Microsoft TCP/IP-32 3.11b from here. It's a self extracting archive, so run it to decompress it. Copy all the files to a floppy, and run the network setup in W4W. You should have your network card driver in the "Network Drivers" section. If not, fix it!

Click on drivers, and then Add Protocol and add an "unlisted or updated protocol"... It should take the TCP/IP-32 off the floppy disk. Highlight TCP/IP and click setup... You know what to fill in here.

That should get you your TCP/IP stack, and a few basic utilities like PING, Traceroute and IPConfig.

AidanII
Right on. I've also got some info from OC.com, so I'll check it all out. Thanks for the link.