AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th August, 2004, 02:59 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Your opinon, please: Thinkpad T41

Slashdot says that IBM's Thinkpad T41 is excellent for Linux. How good is it with Windows XP Pro?
Old 5th August, 2004, 10:06 PM
AOA Staff

What specs does it have?
Old 5th August, 2004, 10:17 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

IBM ship it with Windows XP Pro, so it's a supported OS!

What in particular were you after?
Old 5th August, 2004, 10:32 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Thinkpad T41 is an awesome notebook. My next notebook will be an IBM.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th August, 2004, 03:33 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Slashdot says that IBM's Thinkpad T41 is excellent for Linux. How good is it with Windows XP Pro?

In the rush of current events... Please pardon my late reply, mookydooky. This is an expensive laptop. I'm torn between its capability and the ability to avoid tears if it's stolen. I'm thinking that a notebook is a major thief magnet. It's not that I live in a bad neighborhood, it's just not a good neighborhood.

I don't know if Centrino is hype--or worth the extra ~$500 it adds to the price of laptops. Is WiFi capability(assuming that 802.11b/g is already included) unavailable wthout Centrino? Probably not.
The truth is that I know very little about laptops!

Last edited by cloasters; 11th August, 2004 at 03:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th August, 2004, 03:52 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
IBM ship it with Windows XP Pro, so it's a supported OS!

What in particular were you after?
Sorry that I'm so slow to respond to your post, Aedan. Besides easy Linux use(at least as far as SuSE goes) I'd like very good "connectivity." Like easy dial-up, dsl and cable capability. 802.11b and g(perhaps 802.11g means 802.11 capability is already there?), and WiFi.

And the ability to use an external mouse, keyboard, printer and monitor. mookydooky finds it important for a laptop to be able to play a DVD--with enough battery life for two more hours of use.

An 80 Gb HDD and 512 Mb of RAM are important. A discrete Vidcard rather than any built-in wonder would be nice.

I hope you have a great vacation!
Old 11th August, 2004, 05:28 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
In the rush of current events... Please pardon my late reply, mookydooky. This is an expensive laptop. I'm torn between its capability and the ability to avoid tears if it's stolen. I'm thinking that a notebook is a major thief magnet. It's not that I live in a bad neighborhood, it's just not a good neighborhood.

I don't know if Centrino is hype--or worth the extra ~$500 it adds to the price of laptops. Is WiFi capability(assuming that 802.11b/g is already included) unavailable wthout Centrino? Probably not.
The truth is that I know very little about laptops!
A couple of things. Centrino is only worth it if you plan to use the laptop unplugged. The Pentium M was and is a great achievement by Intel. I typically get 4 hours or more on a single charge. As for WiFi, you can just buy a PC card for about $50. If you're planning to use the laptop mostly plugged in and only for short periods unplugged, it's probably more economical to buy a P4-M.

AOA Team fah

Old 11th August, 2004, 09:10 AM

Centrino is a brand name that Intel uses to denote that the machine is powered by a Pentium M processor coupled with an Intel 855 Chipset, and using an Intel PRO/Wireless adapter. If a machine doesn't have that combination, then it can't be called Centrino.

It's all about Marketing rather than anything else. There's plenty of better wireless cards than the Intel PRO/Wireless card, but machines with those in can't be called Centrino.

More info on what makes a Centrino laptop a Centrino laptop can be found here on Intel's pages.
Old 11th August, 2004, 02:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Centrino is a brand name that Intel uses to denote that the machine is powered by a Pentium M processor coupled with an Intel 855 Chipset, and using an Intel PRO/Wireless adapter. If a machine doesn't have that combination, then it can't be called Centrino.

It's all about Marketing rather than anything else. There's plenty of better wireless cards than the Intel PRO/Wireless card, but machines with those in can't be called Centrino.

More info on what makes a Centrino laptop a Centrino laptop can be found here on Intel's pages.

Thank you for your fast reply, Aedan. Great saints in the morning, the T41 is mighty expensive. Add 256 Mb of memory, bam, close to $2000. Add an extra battery and charger for same. Ugh. At this point, the T41 is too expensive for your humble scribe. It's so embarassing to have to ask the price!
Old 11th August, 2004, 02:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookydooky
A couple of things. Centrino is only worth it if you plan to use the laptop unplugged. The Pentium M was and is a great achievement by Intel. I typically get 4 hours or more on a single charge. As for WiFi, you can just buy a PC card for about $50. If you're planning to use the laptop mostly plugged in and only for short periods unplugged, it's probably more economical to buy a P4-M.
Thnk you very much for your quick reply, mookydooky! Looking at adding a very few extras to make the T41 more mobile... Shazam, this puppy is too expensive for me.

Can you recommend a less expensive laptop? Linux isn't a must(how square can I be) I know that you bought a new notebook not so long ago, do you still like it?
Old 11th August, 2004, 03:10 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Linux support for the onboard Centrino w-lan isn't too hot, from what I understand (mixed success stories). You may have better success with a less highly-specced laptop and a CardBus w-lan card like the NetGear WG511 (NO EXTRA LETTERS), or similar based on prism54 firmware.

In any case, the ThinkPad T series are regarded as good performers for both Linux and Windows. Avoid the R series, since they're actually rebadged Acer notepads.
Old 11th August, 2004, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your fast reply, Aedan. Great saints in the morning, the T41 is mighty expensive.
IBM laptops have a reputation for being expensive. On the other hand, they do tend to make fairly robust laptops with good support.
Old 12th August, 2004, 04:13 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Thnk you very much for your quick reply, mookydooky! Looking at adding a very few extras to make the T41 more mobile... Shazam, this puppy is too expensive for me.

Can you recommend a less expensive laptop? Linux isn't a must(how square can I be) I know that you bought a new notebook not so long ago, do you still like it?
I like my laptop fine. If I have one quibble, it's that the left side of where my palm rests gets kinda warm. If I run the F@H client, it gets hot. It doesn't burn me, but it does get noticably hot.

AOA Team fah