AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th January, 2002, 08:54 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

? for you networking guys

I use outlook to check my earthlink email. It worked fine when I had dialup, but now that I switched to cable it won't send out. I can recieve but not send.

Any thoughts? I'm connected threw a router, and I have cable.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2002, 09:02 PM
Banned

I will assume you're referring to outlook express, and in the preferences/options section there is a network connection setup that will need to be updated.
Old 29th January, 2002, 10:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Yes, and make sure your SMTP settings are set as your isp tells you.
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2002, 10:56 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: ? for you networking guys

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
I use outlook to check my earthlink email. It worked fine when I had dialup, but now that I switched to cable it won't send out. I can recieve but not send.
Usually happens when you change providers, but keep the email at the old provider going. Each provider's SMTP (mail) server knows which IP addresses it will accept mail from. As you've changed providers, it considers you a spammer, and won't send your mail.

You can try using your new ISP's SMTP gateway for sending out mail. I got fed up enough with this problem that I set up my own gateway, so I won't have any more problems. (:

AidanII
Old 30th January, 2002, 12:47 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

errrrrrrr Still no luck. I'm SUPPOSING that my gateway has something to do with it. Like it won't let me use the default smtp of 25?!?!?!?

Sorry but I'm really not any good at this stuff but I thank you for your help.

Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2002, 02:15 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Have you checked your Cables site to be sure they aren't screwing up at this time?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 30th January, 2002 at 02:50 AM.
Old 30th January, 2002, 02:43 AM
AOA Staff

hasn't worked since go. I'm sure it's just a setting or something I just don't know what to set.

Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2002, 04:10 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Who is your provider?
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 30th January, 2002, 04:09 PM
AOA Staff

Road Runner. Does the cable. I have earthlink mail that I would like to check.

Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2002, 05:42 PM
Banned

I can make a suggestion that will not solve your problem, but will get you to your email... open a yahoo account, go into options, and open your pop mail through there...
Old 30th January, 2002, 07:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Um, there aren't any ports being blocked by your router are there? Just a guess because everything else I could think of has already been mentioned.
Old 31st January, 2002, 02:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

I know that Earthlink uses port blocking. They would not allow me to send through my host. I had to use their smtp settings. RR may engage in port blocking as well. As AidanII said it's used to as a preventative measure against spammers and just helps them to track any spam coming from their network more easily and to keep their network from being used to send spam.

I never looked for a way around it, but called earthlink to complain several times because they would limit file sizes that could be sent via email to 1MB.
Old 31st January, 2002, 02:53 AM
AOA Staff

oops I guess I'm not clear here. I can GET my email I just CAN'T SEND IT!!! I use outlook express. Win98 ya know the rest if not scroll up.

Thanks again for any help

Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 31st January, 2002, 04:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

My understanding was that you were trying to send email through your Earthlink account via a RoadRunner connection.
Earthlink blocks port 25 from other networks. You cannot send mail through their smtp servers unless you are logged on through Earthlink.

http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/sto...O52911,00.html

Do you know your smtp settings for RoadRunner? Are they not working either?
Old 31st January, 2002, 04:56 AM
AOA Staff

RR is working, it's working fine (that's how I am posting this)

I just can't seem to send mail OUT from my computer, though I can get it. So what port SHOULD I use?

Rob
AOA Team fah

Last edited by robbie; 31st January, 2002 at 05:00 AM.
Old 31st January, 2002, 05:47 AM

smtp is Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. The smtp servers are what you use to send email. You connect to smtp servers through port 25. This is different than how you receive your email. You receive email through a pop server. It may be the same server although not usually, but it connects through a different port (port 110 typically). Earthlink, specifically(as an example), will allow you to access port 110 (the port for your pop server for downloading mail that others have sent to you) from outside their network so that you may read your email from anywhere, but they block port 25 (the port for smtp for sending mail) access from outside their network to prevent abuse of their system. You will not be able to use another port to circumvent their filters. These forums are accessed using http(hypertext transport protocol) on port 80.
You need to access the RoadRunner smtp server through port 25 to send email. Port 25 is the default smtp port for your email client and should not need to be specified.
What you should be able to do is point your Earthlink account in Outlook to the smtp server(only smtp or send settings leave the pop or receive settings alone) for your Road Runner account. You get this information from roadrunner and if you have a roadrunner email account that has been set up in Outlook then the information for sending email will be in that accounts properties. It should look something like - mail.yourlocalservername.rr.com. This is what you'll need to send email through the earthlink account that is set up on Outlook while you are using RoadRunner for your internet access. You won't be sending email out through Earthlink in this case. It will be sent through your Roadrunner account, but the email can appear to its intended reader to have been sent from your Earthlink account.