AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th March, 2005, 07:14 PM
AOA Staff

The Sony PSP

Who wants a Sony PlayStation Portable? What do you think of them?
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/i...d=291&Itemid=2
Old 5th March, 2005, 07:20 PM
Member/Contributer

The DS appeals more to me. I'd much sooner have a cheap £20 mp3 player, which is only the size of a memory stick anyway, watch movies at home and play conventional games on a pc than combine them all into one device.
The DS is something a bit new and quirky and much better suited to the requirements of portable entertainment
Most new phones will also act as an mp3 player anyway, and the psp is too big to be practical for those needs. I also really doubt there is a market for movies on the move like there is music, it's just too consuming.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2005, 07:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

I'd like one, but don't have the money at all. It'll have to be a birthday gift or something like that. Some of the games seem amazing to me as up to this point it always seemed that handheld gaming was more for kids than older gamers. Ridge Racer and GT look awesome. The gaming capabilities of the handheld are awesome.

While I think it's neat that the PSP has other capabilities like listening to music and watching videos, I wouldn't ever use those features. In order to get the most out of those features, you'd have to buy a 1 or 2 GB memory stick duo, costing you hundreds of dollars. It's just not worth it for those purposes. However, I do like the photo viewing capabilities. I wouldn't mind putting a few photos on there and carrying it around instead of photos in my wallet.

EDIT: That main page exceprt says that it has 32MB of 'main memory.' The package does include a 32MB memory stick Duo, but the PSP itself does not include any onboard memory.
Old 5th March, 2005, 07:54 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
EDIT: That main page exceprt says that it has 32MB of 'main memory.' The package does include a 32MB memory stick Duo, but the PSP itself does not include any onboard memory.
That's what Sony's site said. So, I guess that is a little misleading. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll correct the text now.
Old 25th March, 2005, 06:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Enterra

Exclamation Not worth it!

I can't see purchasing a phone and a PDA and then purchasing a PSP. Theres no logic to that unless you just have an incredible amount of time on your hands all the time. I can get all the games that I want on my HP Ipaq 4350, many of those are just as engrossing and more so than those that you can get for the psp (I'm not saying that its graphically better by any means)

Games for Pocket PC:

Agentum: This is war
Space trader
Age of Empires

oh, and heck... jawbreaker is pretty cool for an included game!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
ATI x800 xl
1g OCZ DDR400
900g of hd Sata
Audigy 2 zs
580watt ultraquite ps

3dmark2001 21421

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Enterra; 25th March, 2005 at 06:12 AM. Reason: including game list
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th March, 2005, 03:28 PM
AOA Staff

I'm unlikely to buy a PSP myself, but I don't think they're targetted at someone like me. I'm sure they would be popular with school kids who will play with them during their lunchbreaks, on the bus home, etc.
Old 25th March, 2005, 04:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Enterra

Talking

Yes, or during class

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
ATI x800 xl
1g OCZ DDR400
900g of hd Sata
Audigy 2 zs
580watt ultraquite ps

3dmark2001 21421

AOA Team fah