AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th March, 2005, 07:11 PM
Member/Contributer

Network's file server

What would be better for a file server on a small(5 computer) network, and Intel based or amd based? If amd, does 64 bit really matter? Opteron anyone? How much does a processor really come into play if I have Raid and 10krpm drives? I've discovered I know nothing about servers, so anything you can offer would be great. Oh and I'm not too far against using Linux based servers, as long as it wont cry about being on the same network as 4 Win boxes.

Oh and do file servers need over a gig of memory? Or is this mostly for gaming servers?

Last edited by XeroHouR; 9th March, 2005 at 07:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th March, 2005, 07:24 PM
AOA Staff

Are you looking to use a 'real' file server or just a high-spec workstation acting as a fileserver?

What will the server actual do?
Old 9th March, 2005, 07:52 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm using it for fast remote storage of movies, software, applications for access on the home network, maybe when I build my HTPC I'll network it with movies on the file server. Just basically a few(by that I mean a lot of )gigs of off desk storage(since that much heat would slow down the overclocks ). I looked at MP systems, and thats pretty rediculous for a modified athlon XP(by modified I mean the same...)
Old 9th March, 2005, 08:05 PM
AOA Staff

So, it is just going to be a PC which will provide network storage for your other machines - not really a server. Dual CPU servers normally run server side applications and carry out all manner of processing tasks. By the sound of it you won't be needing that.

For your purposes, I would mainly focus on data throughput. In other words, fast drives using RAID striping and gigabit LAN (for those big movie files). 1 GB of RAM should be ample and a single processor.

Try to get something like an nForce 3 or 4 board for the server, which has a true gigabit LAN. The nVidia firewall will also be a nice thing to have.
Old 9th March, 2005, 08:29 PM
Member/Contributer

It depends on how fast you need it to be, if the most it's going to be taxed is all 5 systems streaming video at the same time, then even a single drive would easily cope with this, over even 100mbit networking.
What sort of files are likely to be stored on it? how often will lots of speed be needed? Is it likely that all 5 systems will need lots of throughput at the same time?
If the most it's to be used for is streaming video, then a cheap sempron system with about 256mb ram, gigabit ethernet, and a couple of SATA drives, mirrored for safety rather than striped for speed will do, even if you need to stream 5 dvd quality videos

Theres no problem netorking linux with windows, samba can be used to create windows netwroking shares

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th March, 2005, 08:42 PM
AOA Staff

Linux would be ideal for such purposes and cheap if not free.

SuSe is good if you are a Linux noob:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...661730-4885400

..and it is 64-bit!
Old 10th March, 2005, 12:54 AM
Member/Contributer

i am a linux noob so the proc could be a 754 sempron and be ok, and the drives would just have to be fast? If the full network isn't gigabit, it wont do me a ton of good to have gigabit on there, but it could be there for future purposes.
Old 10th March, 2005, 01:02 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Give FreeBSD a try, if you can configure it. Great fun.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 10th March, 2005, 01:17 AM
Member/Contributer

tbh, the more i think about it, the less fast i think it has to be, more or less just a lot of storage. Any consensous on into or amd just for general use, some speed is still obviously necissary, but I think mostly mass storage is more important....
Old 10th March, 2005, 01:29 AM
Member/Contributer

The only thing that would make intel preferable to amd is it's thermal protection should the cooling fail, which ic more of an issue with systems that aren't monitored often like a file server.
Just get a s754 sempron 2600+, a good board which allows you to lower the voltage (these semprons don't support cool'n'quiet so it will need to be via the board) and turn the voltage down and cool it passively.
The storage is definately going to be the bottleneck, think about it even with gigabit ethernet, thats only 133mb/s, theres no way a modern cpu and memory will struggle to keep up with those requirements and 2 modern sata drives striped would also reach that ceiling, though you may want to consider a RAID mode with redundancy for such a system

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th March, 2005, 02:15 PM
AOA Staff

RAID 5 would be best.
Old 10th March, 2005, 03:46 PM
AOA Staff

why not get a 300gb cat-5 or USB drive?
Old 10th March, 2005, 03:51 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlyjoe
why not get a 300gb cat-5 or USB drive?
I was thinking the same thing. There's so many to choose from now.
Old 10th March, 2005, 07:21 PM
Member/Contributer

Well with any luck I'll be able to keep adding hard drives to it, hopefully pushing on a terabyte of storage somewhere way down the line. I'm retiring my stacker from my primary use into the storage dept, so I can add as many hard drives as one motherboard can support I'm sure . Raid 5 is a very possible eventuallity. The other apt members might pitch in a few bucks for some storage. The whole case can hold something like 11 or 15 hard drives I'm pretty sure, if I did all 74Gb or even 36Gb 10k RPM SATAs with that many of them, thats lots of storage
Old 10th March, 2005, 07:26 PM
Member/Contributer

forget raptors, thats overkill and newer sata drives are catching them up in performance any way, grab your self maxtor 10's, theres about a 20% performance differance which won't matter if you stripe them as you will hit the limit of gigabit ethernet first and you will save a ton

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th March, 2005, 07:31 PM
Member/Contributer

did i say raptors? :-X
Ha also I wont have a need for a heater during the winter, I can just move it into my room and set it next to my bed, I think its the same hieght as a radiator(not water cooling...room warming).
Old 10th March, 2005, 08:32 PM
Member/Contributer

I know of no other 10K rpm sata drive in those capacitys
a single raptor is noisy, a raid array of them would be aweful

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah