AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th February, 2002, 04:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

Printer sharing over the internet?

I have a modem connection to the net. So does my friend.

Is it possible to set up a connection so he can print to my printer? And would the printer spolling data be too big?
Old 19th February, 2002, 07:16 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Ok this seems to have all the info!

Print sharing over the 'net

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 19th February, 2002 at 07:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2002, 07:42 PM

I saw that in the search engines. Thats basically about the securoity issues of it, becuase 98 enabled it by standard.

I think what I need to do is just somehow get a VPN set up?
Old 19th February, 2002, 09:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'd advise against opening NetBIOS to the world... Running a VPN would limit the risks down to a more manageable level. Also, some ISPs filter out NetBIOS, so even if you do have NetBIOS open, it's not usable.

The size of printer spooler data depends on level of complexity of the stuff sent. Laser printers and heavy graphics tend to generate files in the multimegabyte range. Inkjets tend to render most things as graphics.

What is your server machine going to be? If it's Windows 2000 Server, then you've got a good chance of being able to run VPNs via RAS. You could try using PPTP, which stands a better chance of working first time. If both ends are Windows 2K, you could use IPSec instead, but that would require no NAT between the server and the client. (ICS is NAT). IPSec is more difficult to set up as well!

AidanII
Old 19th February, 2002, 09:28 PM

both machines are XP. And I want it not to interrupt my normal internet sessions.

And yes, it is a laser printer.
Old 19th February, 2002, 10:37 PM

If both are XP, then the chances are good. You can try setting up IPSec, but it's not the easiest thing to set up. You may have more luck with PPTP.

Not sure how XP handles VPNs, if it tries to use the remote as a default gateway, or if it's happy enough to work both the real network and the VPN network. When you set up the adapters, use an RFC 1819 address (ie 10. or 172. or 192.168.)

AidanII
Old 20th February, 2002, 12:06 AM

ok.

XP machine with ICS going to my machine with the printer on.

does that make it any more difficult?

And I'm startying to wonder this is probably a bad iea, and also annyoing becuase ip's change when modem logs on.
Old 20th February, 2002, 03:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by Spode
ok.

And I'm startying to wonder this is probably a bad iea, and also annyoing becuase ip's change when modem logs on.
its not very safe either...you might come home one day with 20 pages of pr0n printed out...
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2002, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spode

I wouldn't consider spooling printer data over a modem, that much doesn't seem particularly smart to me. Couple it with the dynamic IP, and it's starting to look a lot of work.

The Dynamic IP can be overcome by using one of the dns alias type services. Only the machine with ICS would require the DNS alias, as the client would connect to it.

Basically, the machine with ICS would act as the PPTP tunnel terminator. The remote machine would end up with an IP address that is on your private network, so would effectively be part of it. This would allow the remote machine to access your machine with the printer. It would require some experimentation, to provide the PPTP tunnel.

Not sure what Phiber is on about though...

AidanII
Old 20th February, 2002, 11:42 AM

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't such a good idea. Maybe if I had broadband.

it's probably easier if he just e-mails me stuff he wants printed...

sorry for the trouble Aidan!
Old 20th February, 2002, 07:41 PM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Romulus

Quote:
Originally posted by Phiber

its not very safe either...you might come home one day with 20 pages of pr0n printed out...
Thats only a problem if its TEH UGLIE PR0N... if it was 20 pages of Jenna Jameson I'd be quite pleased...

My Heatware

Email me here