AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 30th November, 2005, 10:53 PM

Firmware 1.5 to 1.0

Intersting thread over at http://www.psp-hacks.com/

1.50 to 1.0 Downgrader
Posted by greg
It’s been confirmed that the 1.50 to 1.0 downgrader released earlier today does indeed work.

It has been confirmed that 100% of ‘virgin’ 1.5 PSPs downgrade to 1.0 smoothly.

How do we define ‘virgin’ firmware 1.5 PSPs? If you BOUGHT your PSP with the 1.5 firmware ALREADY on it, and have NEVER upgraded or downgraded since the purchase, then you have a virgin PSP.

Out of 5 tests on these untouched firmware 1.5 PSPs, 100% of them downgraded to 1.0 without a hitch, and with region coding removed.

What does this mean? Devs can NOW start making custom firmware for the PSP. The process used by the firmware flasher is using custom code to replace the NAND memory with new root files. Therefore, since we are NOT using the upgrade EBOOTs to downgrade, almost ANYTHING can be written to the firmware.

Team SXT, Yoshihiro, and PSP3D are currently working on finding out how to get this firmware flasher to work with all versions of the 1.5 PSP, so that we can have custom firmware for all!

Think about it. All the features on the new 2.6 firmware on a CUSTOMIZED firmware which is made by devs to support homebrew, yet have all the features of 2.6, and more, as we can now incorporate Flash and other codecs, like DivX into our custom firmwares.

Howto:
- Put the two folders in the /GAME/ directory of you original 1.5 PSP.
- Put the .bin file in the ROOT of your memory stick.
- Run the EBOOT from your PSP.

Remember - DO NOT run this if you’ve upgraded/downgraded your 1.50 PSP - you will brick it. This means, if you have upgraded from 1.50 to 2.0, then downgraded back to 1.50 and you attempt to run this downgrader, you will damage your PSP and it will forever be rendered useless. This includes using homebrew which writes to the firmware - PSPersonalize, PSPset, etc… this will de-virginize your PSP.

THIS ONLY WORKS WITH VIRGIN 1.50 PSPs.
Old 2nd December, 2005, 12:20 AM
Member/Contributer

Q: Whats the difference between US PSP's, UK PSP's and Japanese PSP's? I can get hold of a US one quite cheap. Can I mod it the same as the rest? Andy...?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd December, 2005, 02:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

AFAIK (remember that I don't yet have a PSP, that's coming this Christmas though) the PSPs with firmware version 1.5 and up (i.e. any that you would buy now) have region encoding built into them now. I can't tell you if that will affect games but you can bet it will affect the movie discs that you might want to watch. Also, any firmware versions 2.0+ have not been hacked (though I hear that 2.0 is close.)
Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
AFAIK (remember that I don't yet have a PSP, that's coming this Christmas though) the PSPs with firmware version 1.5 and up (i.e. any that you would buy now) have region encoding built into them now. I can't tell you if that will affect games but you can bet it will affect the movie discs that you might want to watch. Also, any firmware versions 2.0+ have not been hacked (though I hear that 2.0 is close.)
The games are not region effected but as you say movies are, version 2.0 can be downgraded to 1.5 which is what was done to mine, finding a 1.5 original will be very difficult now. My friend bought a 1.5 original and accidentally upgraded to 1.52 then upto 2 and downgraded himself back to 1.5, its pretty cool being able to run emulators and perfect doom originals but I can see Sony's point about not let people doing so also.
Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
Q: Whats the difference between US PSP's, UK PSP's and Japanese PSP's? I can get hold of a US one quite cheap. Can I mod it the same as the rest? Andy...?
if its v2.0 you can downgrade it to 1.5 and run homebrew but as far as Im aware you cant change the region? thats the only difference between the different country psps
Old 4th December, 2005, 01:27 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
Tricky!

Jap PSP at firmware 1.50 will not play UK UMD's besides Spiderman with an exploit.
Jap PSP at firmware 2.00 will play UK UMD's.
USA PSP will be firmware 1.51, 1.52 or 2.00 or greater - it would need to be upgraded from 1.51 or 1.52 to 2.00 before running the overflow exploit to downgrade back to 1.50.
USA PSP will give aggro sometimes updating to a generic 2.00 firmware and is difficult to try to patch for UK UMD's.

I only sell Japanese Value Pack PSP's in white / black. I did unfortunately have to get some USA standard packs at one time - sold a load through QVC and had nothing but the usual hassle from the ever present smelly nerd frat because they behave rather odd with UMD's.

I would state - do not get a PSP from the states!!!
Old 4th December, 2005, 01:28 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
Region encoding set isn't in the flashable area of the firmware. Handlers for its behaviour are however. The NAND of the PSP has to be hacked to change the region code for UMD's.
Old 4th December, 2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_andy_c
Tricky!

Jap PSP at firmware 1.50 will not play UK UMD's besides Spiderman with an exploit.
Jap PSP at firmware 2.00 will play UK UMD's.
USA PSP will be firmware 1.51, 1.52 or 2.00 or greater - it would need to be upgraded from 1.51 or 1.52 to 2.00 before running the overflow exploit to downgrade back to 1.50.
USA PSP will give aggro sometimes updating to a generic 2.00 firmware and is difficult to try to patch for UK UMD's.

I only sell Japanese Value Pack PSP's in white / black. I did unfortunately have to get some USA standard packs at one time - sold a load through QVC and had nothing but the usual hassle from the ever present smelly nerd frat because they behave rather odd with UMD's.

I would state - do not get a PSP from the states!!!
Still got any? ive friend who wants 2?
Old 4th December, 2005, 03:03 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

I am back up and running in full swing - I have an orders page up at http://www.defcom69.co.uk/index.php?...d=14&Itemid=28
Old 4th December, 2005, 07:15 PM
Member/Contributer

Cheers Andy, thanks for the tip, will give the US PSP a wide berth...

...oh, and what TFT display would you recommend these days...?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2005, 07:42 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Well, GNR or AMW of course! I'm heading up their European Marketing for their owners.