AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd December, 2005, 05:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

Help me fix the network's internet

My computer has been accessing the School dorm network's internet connection good for a while, but since the internet had broke down 2 saturdays ago, it's been crud. (hard time logging on to msn, internet sites load very slowly if at all) and yet it's working good for everyone else in the dorm. i've even reformated my drives, reinstalled windows, to see if there was a problem with my OS, it still works like crud. i thought maybe if i disabled my firewall, that would open up the internet for me, it didn't it's still extremely sluggish, and msn still don't work good, please someone help me, every slow page, every time i try msn, it makes me loose my mind a lil bit more. please for the love of god help me!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd December, 2005, 05:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Maybe they restricted your bandwidth?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd December, 2005, 05:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

*raises eyebrow* how do i get more? or how do i counter the restriction?

Old 2nd December, 2005, 05:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran
*raises eyebrow* how do i get more? or how do i counter the restriction?
It that is what they've done, you don't.

Do you have to logon to the network in order to access the Internet? If not, try changing your NIC (they may be restricting you based on your MAC address).
Old 2nd December, 2005, 05:35 PM

i've got a PC, not a mac, and all i need to do is plug the network cable into the wall. i don't have to log in.

Old 2nd December, 2005, 05:50 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The MAC (Media Access Control) Address is the physical address of your network card, as the IP address isn't enough for Ethernet to work properly. It is possible to track a machine via the MAC address on a network and restrict throughput.
Old 2nd December, 2005, 05:58 PM

how do i change my MAC address?

Old 2nd December, 2005, 06:15 PM

You don't, hehe. You need to install a new NIC card.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd December, 2005, 06:55 PM

good thing i got extra nics lying around. how do i find out what my MAC address is?

Old 2nd December, 2005, 08:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The MAC address is burned into every NIC at manufacture. It is a 48-bit number and is guaranteed unique for every network adapter. Some adapters give you the ability to assign an address to them, but many do not. Even with the ones that can have an address assigned to them, they still have a 'default' address that is unique.

Simply change the NIC out for another one. If that is related to your problem, your problem will go away.
Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:24 PM

*bows to the mighty Gizmo* thank you, oh for the love of god thank you. i swore i was gonna go crazy. it worked! maj! Qapla'!

Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

BTW, I'm sorry, I never actually answered your question about how to find out your MAC address. If for some reason you should ever actually need to know your MAC address, go to a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /all

This will list all configuration information for all of the network interfaces in your computer, including dialup-adapters and VPN adapters. Among the information displayed will be the MAC address for each adapter.

Oh. And you're welcome.
Old 3rd December, 2005, 02:18 AM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

of course, it could also be a configuration issue with the dorm network

or try ur pc at another connection point

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd December, 2005, 03:40 AM

i've got one connection point in my room, and i ain't lugging the Klingon Kase and monitor somewhere else.

Old 3rd December, 2005, 05:55 PM

just need to take the case to someone else that has pc, and use their stuff, just to test etc

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd December, 2005, 06:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
of course, it could also be a configuration issue with the dorm network
Not if changing the MAC address fixed it. That tends to indicate those in control might be applying bandwidth limits.
Old 4th December, 2005, 01:54 AM

i agree... but if there is something "wrong" with a router, then this could also explain it

AOA Team fah

Old 4th December, 2005, 02:24 AM

well, i don't know for sure what was wrong, but i put in a nic into my pc and it worked. never disabled my onboard nic. but it worked