AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th March, 2006, 01:52 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Windows wireless: forcing settings

Right now I'm sitting in Schiphol airport trying to do some work. This is proving a bit problematic as my laptop's old and has only 15 minutes battery life if left without power. The only place with power is the "Network Bar" (what a pity - cheers all )

Now this point sits between 2 A/Ps, both named "ATTINGO" - one on channel 6 is a 54Mbps a/p, but has a lousy signal; the other on channel 11 has great signal but is only an 11Mbps a/p. Windows/Netgear utility try to be helpful and connect me to the 54Mbps a/p even though it barely manages to get a network address. I can force it (briefly) to connect to the other one, get an email or a post out, but it's not enough to run the Citrix connection I need.

How do I force Windows/Netgear to connect only to channel 11 and not try to be helpful? I could do this in Linux but Citrix client doesn't talk to Linux *wail*
Old 26th March, 2006, 02:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Are you running XP?

If so I think you can use the built in wireless app to remove the weak A/P from the list and set the oter to auto......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th March, 2006, 02:42 PM

I thought of that - both APs have the same SSID, so only show up as one "network". WinXP trying to be helpful again...
Old 26th March, 2006, 03:18 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Wrap your hand around the antenna to cut the signal so far it can't connect to the AP?
Old 26th March, 2006, 07:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

It would be so cool if that worked!! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th March, 2006, 06:58 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Surely you can find out where the 11mbps access point is situated and sit closer to that one, i know it's probably not that simple.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 27th March, 2006, 07:22 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

You should have the software from the wireless adapter installed as well...my d-link wireless adapters all override windows settings and functionality, but it does require having an app run in systray.
Old 8th April, 2006, 01:45 PM

Ok well in the end I gave up and just turned off the computer and enjoyed the beer instead.

Just to clarify, then:

* I have the Netgear wifi utility installed. It does NOT appear to let me disallow connection to a specific AP - I was wondering whether there was something in said utility that I missed, however.

* I have Windows XP SP2, however using the Windows wifi utility does not help because, since the APs are named with the same SSID, Windows "helps" me by just showing the one network and hiding from me the details of the individual APs. Where Windows is concerned, there is 1 access point, not 2, so I can't disallow connection to the slow one.

* As much as I would like to sit closer to the access point, I am constrained by where power points are located. My laptop lasts a shade under half an hour running wifi without a power cord. It's old, see?

I'm going to go through to same old story again tomorrow, so any ideas would be appreciated
Old 8th April, 2006, 02:57 PM
Steve Jobs

Which netgear card are you using?

If you have the Netgear "Hero" card, the WAG511, it lets you do it via the netgear wireless client.

If you have the Netgear "Crapola" card, the WG511V2, it is a filthy mongrel of a thing to get it to maintain a connection, let alone do what you want it to do.

The MA521, on the other hand is a reasonable mix between the two.

Every Netgear card has a different client with it. One of the perks of my old job, is that I have a collection of wireless cards that covers about the entire netgear range, most of D-Link, Proxim, Cabletron, and a few others. Let me know what card you are using and I'll have a look.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 8th April, 2006, 03:13 PM

Ah it's the WG511v1. In Linux, this is great as it's a hardware prism54, in Windows... I'm starting to think I need to invest in a new device.
Old 8th April, 2006, 03:59 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
Ok well in the end I gave up and just turned off the computer and enjoyed the beer instead.
We could learn from this. All tech support depts. could simply serve beer when things don't work.
Old 8th April, 2006, 04:12 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
Ah it's the WG511v1. In Linux, this is great as it's a hardware prism54, in Windows... I'm starting to think I need to invest in a new device.
The WG511V1 is just as bad as the V2, only they don't sell them anymore. As far as Windows goes, that is the worst Netgear card ever made. As far as linux, I would always rather have an Atheros based card.

I'll pop that card in and give it a go. See how it turns up. For a start, I would try to disable 54Mbit (802.11G) support and force 802.11B. That might make it more inclined to use the B AP.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 8th April, 2006, 06:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
We could learn from this. All tech support depts. could simply serve beer when things don't work.
All the Teck support I've talk to seem to do just that! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th April, 2006, 06:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Does anyone yuse Linksys anymore....I never have issues with the couple I have...
Old 8th April, 2006, 06:39 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

I've gone to D-Link for all my wireless networking needs, all their equipment works well and is reliable.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 8th April, 2006, 06:48 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got EpOx
I've gone to D-Link for all my wireless networking needs, all their equipment works well and is reliable.
My D link has worked well on my linux installs. I might be installing XGL this weekend on my suse box (have had it running for over a month) I really wanna give that a go.

Kait,
Have you tried playing with the "prefered network" settings?!?! Seems to always work fine at my house.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah