AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th March, 2002, 03:45 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Angry Workstation problems again!

I'm back.. My son's computer is acting up again. Very strang. I've swapped out nic and the cat5. Problem went away for a while. Now, every once in a while it loses its connection to the network completely. I have to disable the lan connection in XP and re-enable. The connection lasts from a day or 2 to less than an hour. I don't get it. Any ideas? I'm running XP on most machines, and I've updated drivers.... It seems like the connection goes down within a few minutes now.
Old 15th March, 2002, 02:06 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Steve i am having the same problem on a friends box. It keeps connection whenever it wants to, if you reboot or disable and reenable it it comes back for a bit. I cant figure it out at all.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2002, 03:49 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

FWIW, it seems to hold the connection longer after a reboot. After it's been on for a week or 2 straight, it loses the connection within minutes. I rebooted last night, and this morning, it was still showing up on my network. I'll check it again tonight to see if it is still up.
Old 15th March, 2002, 07:06 PM
Banned

Did you run windows update? There are a couple of driver updates for NICs out there, I needed one for my sys.
Old 15th March, 2002, 07:27 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

It (or when) it goes offline again, I'll try the update again. It used to give me similar problems (which I posted months ago). Since then, I've swapped the nic, cat5 and even tried another switch. This machine is odd, maybe a PCI latency thing (??). I'm reaching 'cause I'm at my wits end. I've even set up a shortcut for my son so he can learn to reset it to go online.
Old 15th March, 2002, 11:32 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I think this has been listed as an "issue" with XP. I may be wrong, though.
Old 16th March, 2002, 04:41 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

So far so good.. It hasn't gone down yet... All machines are up. Strange... Aside from my notebook, I average 1 reboot on 4 machines about 1 a month (exccep when I tinker and break something.) If I have to, I guess I'll have to reboot my son's machine every few days. I'll give time and update if/when the connection goes down again.
Old 21st March, 2002, 03:40 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quick update:
It's been 6 days, and it went down. I just reset the connection. I wanna see how long this lasts... Strange. All of my other machines haven't been down in weeks now.
Old 24th March, 2002, 05:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

:-(

Any luck with this? Ive been having simmilar problems when i do lan parties- some cant see eachother - others see all- and all work with eachother- but mine just drops the connection everyonce in a while- but only at lan parties-

Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!