AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th October, 2006, 03:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

PSPTouchMe Concept Images

Harleyg have posted some cool concept images of what the PSPTouchME touch screen might look like. He also confirmed that it will use the USB port instead of the serial port. If the touch screen were to use the serial port, an audio jack would have to be present because the serial port wont be active if not.

http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1258/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2006, 03:20 PM
Steve Jobs

I've thought long and hard about a touch screen on a PSP, but I have to say the screen protector style thing is a very cheap and dodgy way to do it. I would have done a hardmod to the PSP.

You can buy PSP face plates, which basically replace the entire front panel, which is one piece and includes the surrounds around the buttons, and the screen in the middle.

Make a face plate with a digitizer integrated in it, and run wiring internally to piggy back the USB connection fron the internal contacts. Minimal modification, brilliant result.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2006, 03:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing myself. The only reason I can see that they wouldn't have done it would be to keep costs down (an entire face plate is more expensive than just the touch panel), and ease of installation.
Old 5th October, 2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I've thought long and hard about a touch screen on a PSP, but I have to say the screen protector style thing is a very cheap and dodgy way to do it. I would have done a hardmod to the PSP.

You can buy PSP face plates, which basically replace the entire front panel, which is one piece and includes the surrounds around the buttons, and the screen in the middle.

Make a face plate with a digitizer integrated in it, and run wiring internally to piggy back the USB connection fron the internal contacts. Minimal modification, brilliant result.
However, your average punter isn't going to do that. To Average Joe, something that simply plugs in and sits over the top is probably far easier.
So it's not like there isn't a market for this. I think it's a decent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 5th October, 2006, 05:33 PM
Steve Jobs

Its something you could put the unit in to have done though. I would do it myself just fine, and if you wanted to extend the faceplate, you could do the external USB connection thing still, without it looking like an afterthought.

A backplate with the new camera built into it, and perhaps a conversion to remove the UMD drive and replace it with an internal GPS and camera would come to mind as a good idea as well, better yet, use an ipod sized hard disk in the space the UMD drive takes up as well.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 6th October, 2006, 08:36 AM

We need the UMD drive to play games. Not everyone wants to use Homebrew.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 6th October, 2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Its something you could put the unit in to have done though. I would do it myself just fine, and if you wanted to extend the faceplate, you could do the external USB connection thing still, without it looking like an afterthought.

A backplate with the new camera built into it, and perhaps a conversion to remove the UMD drive and replace it with an internal GPS and camera would come to mind as a good idea as well, better yet, use an ipod sized hard disk in the space the UMD drive takes up as well.
I have seen a hard drive you can buy for the PSP which goes where the battery is. However, it's very bulky.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 6th October, 2006, 08:49 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
We need the UMD drive to play games. Not everyone wants to use Homebrew.
We don't need the UMD drive to play games. Sony is moving to an online service for PS1 games on PSP, and you can already mount load your own games off memory stick. I have only two games on UMD right now, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, and Coded Arms, both of which I can copy to a memory stick and run off that.

UMD is really only taking up space.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 6th October, 2006, 10:18 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I wonder what security model Sony will use to ensure that downloadable games will be hard to copy? Could this require a further upgrade with new functions required from the kernel?
Old 6th October, 2006, 10:37 AM
Steve Jobs

I'm more interested in whether or not I'll be able to redeem the massive hoard of PS1 games that I already own for online versions.

Having to pay for something I already own all over again, just for the luxury of using Sony's emulator seams like a bit of a joke.

As far as a form of DRM for downloadable games goes... I'd give it six months before its beaten.

If they make these games cheap, and I mean properly cheap (<$20US) piracy won't be that big an issue. If they decide to rip us off for old games, you'll hear a resounding "ARRR ME'Hearties!" from the homebrew community.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 6th October, 2006 at 10:39 AM.