AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2002, 01:59 AM

really easy questiona about print and file sharing

but i just can't seem to get it through my thick skull.

i have one xp workstaion sharing it's printer. why can't my other win2k system access it's printer? and why the hell do i have to enable the user in xp in order to be able to access and set up the printer in the win2k unit?

is it standard to have to set up a local user on xp in order to print or even see the printer in win2k. btw the user on win2k has a "super user" account and i did permit super users to have access to the printer magement.

what really pisses me off is that i'm the only on on the xp unit so why should i have to enable other users? that means i have to enter a password everytime i need to get into windows. WTF!!!!

am i missing something other than sleep or an education got damnit?

®

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2002, 02:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

on the other computers just go "add printer", and then choose network printer and the select yours from the list. as for passwords, you don't have to have one for your printer sharing.
Old 21st March, 2002, 02:49 AM

that's what i mean alex. i go and add my network printer and it keeps saying that the user in this case "super user" isn't enabled on the printer server (XP).

i have to enable the user's account in xp in order to manage the printer. but if i enable the user's account in xp, i'd get a log on screen and that's not what i want to do.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2002, 02:54 AM

another way to go around it is to enable all the accounts i want in xp then suppress the auto logon screen by using a reg hack.

the problem with that is i still didn't learn anything from it.

®