AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd April, 2007, 05:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to acgraham

networking problems galore

hey guys. its been a while since i posted here but i thought maybe someone here would be able to figure this out.

heres my setup - i have telstra adsl plugged into a d-link wireless router.

in my room i have a laptop with wireless and a gigabit connection, which plugs into a switch in my room that my other machines use.

1. to begin with, in my room if i enable dhcp on the machines, they wont retrieve ip adresses automaticly. i dont know why. what could be causing the problem there? i thought windows was able to handle that, but even the networking wizard doesn't work.

2. if i set static adress everythings cool. but if i did that what would i put in the dns boxes? ive just been leaving them blank.

3. my laptop with the wireless connection wont work if the other lan conection is enabled. if i disable it under the network controllers window, then my wireless internet connection is fine. what might be causing this?

my ultimate goal is to get both connections working, and dhcp, and be able to share the internet connection from wireless through to the switch in my bedroom.

thanks for any help guys.
Old 3rd April, 2007, 05:21 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I think you must tell XP to "bridge connections" with your wireless and wired laptop in order for the wifi dhcp server to give the wired PCs IP addresses.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd April, 2007, 05:52 PM

yeah ive tried that one. its doesn't matter though because -

a) even before i do any bridging, if i have both network cards operating at the same time, the internet gets disconnected.

b) dhcp doesn't work, and if i try to bridge it makes no difference.

If i do it through the wizard, it just says "the wizard encountered" some frigin error which it gives you no information about.
Old 3rd April, 2007, 07:09 PM
AOA Staff

Does the router have a DHCP server?

If so, the workstations need to bet set-up get their IPs from the router.
Old 3rd April, 2007, 11:50 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgraham
3. my laptop with the wireless connection wont work if the other lan conection is enabled. if i disable it under the network controllers window, then my wireless internet connection is fine. what might be causing this?
what kind of notebook do you have? I have seen some shipped with settings that disable wireless when wired is available. These are normally software settings in a power management tool of some description

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th April, 2007, 03:58 AM

ive got an hp nw 8440. wireless works fine by itself. and the lan in my room works fine by itself but only with static ip adresses.

i dont think ive explained myself clearly. the dlink router has dhcp. it assigns ip adresses fine.

but take that out of the equation. i have a switch in my room, which has 3 computers plugged into it. now if i want each of these machines to be on a basic home network, none of them will retrieve ip adresses from the windows networking wizard.
Old 4th April, 2007, 12:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Pardon the silly question. the switch is going to the router, right?

Basically, internet connection > router > switch > then computer, computer, computer.
Old 5th April, 2007, 02:10 AM

no its not. its going to the laptop, which receives internet through wireless. the laptop shares the internet connection through to the switch.

there shouldn't be anything wrong with doing that because ive done it before i moved and it worked fine.