AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th May, 2007, 02:09 PM
AOA Staff

iPhone demand in the UK is 'soft'

From the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/2503/1/

Comments?
Old 16th May, 2007, 02:49 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Unsurprising. The UK's a tough market for mobiles. We can get some very, very good phones, including some very adept music phones (such as SE's Walkman-branded offerings), smartphones of various descriptions and phones that do an awful lot more than telephony all for free or for less than £100 if you wait a month or two.

The iPhone is not technically brilliant, and doesn't do a huge amount. Sure it stores a lot of music and makes telephone calls but nothing much else. For that it comes with a hefty price tag. Other phones play music, movies, take photos, get basic web access, function as a PDA and some even now get GPS. They do it for less money. Why buy an iPhone? Brand obsession?
Old 16th May, 2007, 03:12 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Brand obsession indeed, if you watch the flash tutorials on their official homepage you can see that its showing features which have been in phones for quite a while, all they've done is make the phone look ipoddy and added a snazzy looking OS. Think the iPod market will ever die?
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th May, 2007, 06:21 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got EpOx
Think the iPod market will ever die?
Once you buy Apple, you have to keep buying Apple: iTunes makes quite sure of that
Old 16th May, 2007, 09:51 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Buy a Creative in my opinion atleast something which excepts most audio formats.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st May, 2007, 10:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Or just do what i do and buy cheap unbranded ones that last and don't have half as many problems (scratched screens and the like).

The iphone really is just a waste of money if you already have an iPod and a mobile phone already. £250 is over the top. I wouldn't spend more than £150, and then, it'd probably be the last phone i'd buy (my K700i cost me £100 December 05 and it's still in excellent condition).

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 23rd May, 2007, 10:25 PM

Not defending the iPhone here, but I'd like to point out it won't be £250 on contract and anyhoo, £250 for a Pay-As-Go Phone is not unusual.
Cheap unbranded.......lmao. Get one of the new Sony Walkmans. Vastly superior to the Nano is every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 24th May, 2007, 05:07 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Given that Job's quoted a price of $599 for the 8GB version AFTER operator discount in the US (with a two year contract), I'd suggest the phone might not appear on PAYG. That's a great deal of money for a phone that can only manage 2.5G, especially when operators are desperate to get people to move to 3G and pay for data.

On the other hand, if comes in at a more sensible £250, it'd be comparable to a number of other 'free' contract phones.

Last edited by Áedán; 24th May, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 24th May, 2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Get one of the new Sony Walkmans. Vastly superior to the Nano is every way.
Do they still come with SonicStage? If so, that on it's own is a really good reason to stay well away.
Old 24th May, 2007, 05:40 PM
AOA Staff

PAYG price is more likely to be at the £600 mark in the UK. Complete waste of money, if it is!
Old 24th May, 2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Do they still come with SonicStage? If so, that on it's own is a really good reason to stay well away.
AFAIK they do. But it's been vastly improved.
I don't see it as reason enough. At the end of the day Sonic Stage lets you transfer your music. Theres no reason why you or me should find it a major problem. I would prefer drag and drop but to me it's a minor gripe when you are getting a screen twice the size and twice the quality of the Nanos, a metal body and vastly superior sound quality.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 25th May, 2007, 09:25 AM

Last time I have fun with SonicStage it was at the point whereby it'd delete tracks off your computer when it transferred them to the device... Suffice to say, Sony rapidly made themselves unwanted.
Old 25th May, 2007, 12:07 PM

Well, in all honesty I don't get that problem now. No doubt they seriously need to invest in their software side of things but I think it's worth giving the new Walkman a good look.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]